New Mid 2012 cMBP already in for repair, what are my options?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Elmzeh, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Elmzeh macrumors regular

Elmzeh

Hi All,

Recently purchased a brand new 15" cMBP from the online Apple Store which I've had now for just under 3 months which up until last week has been excellent...

I migrated from Windows and despite this issue I have no regrets, it's a brilliant machine and OS X is incredible - since purchase I've used it for;

- Photo and Video Editing
    - Light music production
    - Casual Gaming

The MacBook Pro performed great in all these areas until late last week. I was watching a movie in the evening after using the system for a few hours in the day for work when all of a sudden the picture became glitchy and large pixelated/fuzzy squares started appearing across the screen..

I called AppleCare and they run me through some basic procedures which they felt may rectify the problem however these fixes didnt work and the problem continued - the next step was that they advised me to book in to see a genius at my local store to get the issue resolved.

I did this and was advised at the store that the issue is due to a faulty Logic Board / Graphics card, which I thought may have been the case based on previous experience that my Windows system encountered years ago..

The MBP is now with the Apple Store receiving a free logic board replacement and will be ready for me to collect in 3-5 days. While I'm pleased its getting repaired I'm not too sure if I'm comfortable with having the same machine that became faulty after barely 3 months of use..

It's been kept in perfect condition in a clean and cool environment and in my opinion was never under any serious stress graphics or performance wise.

I know you guys can't say for sure as its quite a grey area but does anyone have any experience similar to this? And if so what are the chances of me getting the system completely replaced?

It just concerns me that after taking such good care of it, due to faulty hardware my brand new MBP is going to have to be opened up by Apple to have parts replaced.

2. Laco macrumors 6502

Computer parts break down, no matter how well you take care of them. As for getting a replacement that seems unlikely but you can always ask. However, since you are getting a new logic board that means essentially you are getting almost a brand new inside.

3. Elmzeh thread starter macrumors regular

Elmzeh

Thanks for your response Laco, I'll be sure to monitor the situation when I get the system back to ensure it still does run as expected - was just keen to find out what other options were available :)

Anyone else had any experience of the above?

Thanks

4. iStiggy macrumors member

My friends retina 15" had the same issue. He purchased in Feburary and last week his graphics card went out on him. They fixed it and he's not worried about it happening again.

5. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I have a mid-2012 15" MBP and mine's performed perfectly since new. You just ended up with one of the few, expected, bad parts. Yes, companies EXPECT some of their machines to fail, even Apple. You just happened to be (un)lucky, this is why they give you a one year warranty, to resolve issues such as yours.