Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
Probably a dumb question. I have an older mini that I can connect to a regular VGA monitor but from looking at the new mini it looks like the video output is only HDMI. Can this be connected to an old VGA monitor?

alvse

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
I believe Thunderbolt (mini-display port) to VGA adapter still works. On the Apple online store, it's still called Mini Display Port to VGA adapter.

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
The Thunderbolt port can be used with mini display port adapters, so a mini display port to VGA adapter from Apple should work fine. However, if in the future you want to connect a Thunderbolt product, you'll already be using the Thunderbolt port.

I'm sure hubs will be available, probably at a decent cost for a while.

How attached are you to your VGA monitor?

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
I will be buying a new monitor for this mini, but I was hoping to keep the price low. I don't play games or even watch video on it, so screen size, etc. is not real important to me. I just want to make sure whatever I get will work with the mini at the lowest cost.

Daud

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2008

JG271

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
UK
Couldn't you just use the included HDMI-DVI adaptor then get a cheap DVI-VGA adaptor on the end?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.