Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

floatingspirit

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2001
Seattle, WA
I just got the Nokia 6230. For 30 bucks you can give it iSync compatibility by gettting the program below from Macmedia. The program works great and the phone is full featured. My only peeves are it doesn't prominently display a clock, only discretely. It has no auto shut off/turn on. Otherwise, it's top notch.

Check out this deal from singular:

http://nokia.letstalk.com/product/p...115&cmpId=161&to=3236&setZip=29715&model=6230

For syncing with macs: http://www.macmedia.sk/pd.htm

I can't post pics until later today.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I didn't like any of those phones. They seem so non-Mac like. It reminds me of mp3 players before the iPod.

I wish cell phones were like the 1960's Star Trek communicator. The antenna was built-in the flip lid instead of sticking out of the phone like the old style Walkie-talkies that I played with as a small boy. Also I want to flip it open with just one hand with the flip of a wrist and have that chirp sound. The old Star Trek communicators were the iPod of phones of that century. It focused on communication first with no tricorder or phaser feature. It made it simple to operate when you needed to request to beam out quick. You would have to carry a separate device for those other functions.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
I highly recommend the Sony Ericsson T610/T616 or T630/T637. Great phones with an interface to match, and they sync up wonderfully with Bluetooth and iSync.

Lee Tom

noel4r

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Los Angeles
I concur, the Nokia 6230 is a great phone, loads of features. Make sure you get an MMC Card and a headset so you can use it as an MP3/Radio Player.

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2002
England
I have recently bought a new Sony Ericcson S700i (when I say bought, I mean I got it free with my expensive monthly contract).

It syncs well with address book and iCal using iSync, but I haven't yet got it dial up my ISP and connect my ibook to the internet.

Transferring files (e.g. photos) via bluetooth is easy and quick.

Best of all is the camera. It takes really excellent pictures. I'll post a few here to show you. I haven't yet even tried any of of the settings (white balance, night mode etc etc) so I expect to get even better photos when I work it all out.

I would recommend this phone to anyone.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
BornAgainMac said:
I wish cell phones were like the 1960's Star Trek communicator.

Just please, don't with the velour shirts.... :rolleyes:

I have a Nokia 3650, which I wouldn't recommend buying at the moment. If I got a phone available right at the moment, I'm not 100% sure what it would be. I vacillate between wanting a lot of features, like a Sidekick II, a Treo 650c or a Blackberry 7230, or going with something more along the lines of the RAZR (which may or may not iSync atm). Or better yet, one of the phones that have Palm in a flip format, if any of them have bluetooth. But you have to tell us what you value...size, looks, function?

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2002
England
err, can someone tell me how to link a photo please? The files from my S700i are too big for the forum..

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2002
England
OK, here goes, a sample photo from my SE S700i

DSC00044.JPG

Applespider

macrumors G4
I've got a Sony Ericsson k700 which has been great. The most recent firmware can cause problems with iSynch occasionally but this can be solved by pairing the Mac from the phone rather than from the Mac. The firmware change does improve the battery life massively. I get nearly a week now although I don't play games or use the radio which can sap it.

I can get my Powerbook online with it and files transfer easily via Bluetooth. No real problems at all.

Pictures have again improved since the last firmware update. Here are a few from beforehand (one dark, one light) to give you an idea. Close-ups of people in the dark aren't always great since it's a hassle to remember about night mode and the light makes everyone look like a ghost.

Attachments

• Picture(40).jpg
    Picture(40).jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 297
  • Picture(20).jpg
    Picture(20).jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 305

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2002
England
Solafaa said:
WOW. that some of the best pics i have ever seen. *gets ready to go to shop tomorrow to buy phone*, thanks.

No problem, happy to help. I think its great that camera phones are finally getting to the point where they are useful rather than just fun. I take mine everywhere and can leave my 'proper' camera at home most of the time.

One thing to remember when you are choosing is that its not all about megapixels. The quality of the lens and the imaging sensor is as important as the number of pixels. S700i is 1.3 Megapixels - but I understand from reading reviews that it takes better photos than any other current 1.3 MP camera phone, and as good as some of the 2MP camera phones.

If you can, check out some sample photos for each of the phones you are looking at. Forums on sites like esato.com are absolutely full of advice.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
LeeTom said:
I highly recommend the Sony Ericsson T610/T616 or T630/T637. Great phones with an interface to match, and they sync up wonderfully with Bluetooth and iSync.

Lee Tom

dobbin said:
I have recently bought a new Sony Ericcson S700i (when I say bought, I mean I got it free with my expensive monthly contract).

It syncs well with address book and iCal using iSync, but I haven't yet got it dial up my ISP and connect my ibook to the internet.

Transferring files (e.g. photos) via bluetooth is easy and quick.

Best of all is the camera. It takes really excellent pictures. I'll post a few here to show you. I haven't yet even tried any of of the settings (white balance, night mode etc etc) so I expect to get even better photos when I work it all out.

I would recommend this phone to anyone.

Wait, you guys are saying that you have a SE phone with a decent camera? :eek:

Well, I'd recommend the SE K750 if I were to recommend an SE phone. SE does make great phones, except the crap cameras. They're famous for it. However, the camera with this phone is supposed to be different. It's also 2MP and has auto focus and manual settings, on top of just being of better quality than in other SE phones.

I have the K700i, and in my opinion, the camera is useless. I know people are showing you decent examples, but I have seen better on other branded phones.

Still love my SE K700i, though. :D

crdean1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2005
Texas
mkrishnan said:
Just please, don't with the velour shirts.... :rolleyes:

I have a Nokia 3650, which I wouldn't recommend buying at the moment. If I got a phone available right at the moment, I'm not 100% sure what it would be. I vacillate between wanting a lot of features, like a Sidekick II, a Treo 650c or a Blackberry 7230, or going with something more along the lines of the RAZR (which may or may not iSync atm). Or better yet, one of the phones that have Palm in a flip format, if any of them have bluetooth. But you have to tell us what you value...size, looks, function?

I was so excited when I got my Blackberry 7290 w/ bluetooth for work.....It has been since dissapointing since the bluetooth is just for headset purposes. I can't even do a file exchange or contact exchange, can't sync a calendar, etc.

With that said, the blackberry is excellent for email and messaging purposes, and surfing the news on the www. I just wish they had included more on the bluetooth end.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Abstract said:
I have the K700i, and in my opinion, the camera is useless.

I agree that it's not brilliant and I'd only ever use it for casual fun photos when i don't have my main camera handy. The fish-eye effect is too pronounced and there's too much noise in dark pictures - but I'd say it's about the same quality as most camera phones.

Having said all that, my pictures have improved since the firmware on the phone was updated over Christmas. It's actually usable indoors without blurring and the noise quotient has gone down. What firmware is on your k700? If it's an older one (pre mid Dec) then it might be worthwhie getting it flashed

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Applespider said:
I agree that it's not brilliant and I'd only ever use it for casual fun photos when i don't have my main camera handy. The fish-eye effect is too pronounced and there's too much noise in dark pictures - but I'd say it's about the same quality as most camera phones.

Having said all that, my pictures have improved since the firmware on the phone was updated over Christmas. It's actually usable indoors without blurring and the noise quotient has gone down. What firmware is on your k700? If it's an older one (pre mid Dec) then it might be worthwhie getting it flashed
Well, I meant the SE phones take worse pictures than almost every camera phone. Seriously. I have used a Nokia that takes much better pictures. And the video recorder is even worse. Absolutely useless in all situations. The movies come out completely pixellated and blurred, even if you try moving it around extra slow.

And I have looked for a firmware update, but the thing is that I don't know about the technical side of phones. I don't know what firmware version I have, and I don't know how to upgrade it. Do I take it into a shop and ask for it?

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2002
England
Abstract said:
Well, I meant the SE phones take worse pictures than almost every camera phone. Seriously. I have used a Nokia that takes much better pictures.

Which Nokia was it? Have you got any photos to show us?

I posted those pics above from my Sony Ericsson and have yet to see better pictures from a camera phone. These were not taken particularly carefully and I didn't alter any of the settings. I just took the phone out of my pocket and quickly snapped - just what a camera phone is meant to do I think.

I don't see how you can say "SE phones take worse pictures than almost every camera phone". There is simply zero evidence to prove that :confused:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
crdean1 said:
I was so excited when I got my Blackberry 7290 w/ bluetooth for work.....It has been since dissapointing since the bluetooth is just for headset purposes. I can't even do a file exchange or contact exchange, can't sync a calendar, etc.

This is a big issue that's kept me from upgrading...so far, I refuse to buy a phone that has bluetooth and won't sync that way.... Well, maybe I'll eventually lighten up. But I'd rather if American WSPs would lighten up instead and just leave the BT feature set alone.... :(

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
I'll add my voice to the chorus. The s700i is the best phone I've had so far. It's a bit bulky though.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Abstract said:
And I have looked for a firmware update, but the thing is that I don't know about the technical side of phones. I don't know what firmware version I have, and I don't know how to upgrade it. Do I take it into a shop and ask for it?

I've found the video awful on most non-camcorder devices so I've pretty much given up trying.

To check your firmware, make sure the keypad is unlocked and then do >*<<*<* where < is joystick left and > is joystick right. Don't worry if looks like it's going itn Apps or shortcuts, just keep going!

Then you want Service Info, Software Info and you'll get your current firmware version. Mine is R2AE033 which came out on 18 Dec and which I think is still current since that update fixed a lot of bugs!

PC users can update it themselves with appropriate cables although apparently it's a process fraught with danger and can cause big problems. In the UK, you can take it into a phone store and they'll flash it for you if it's under warranty. It's best to go to one that does repairs etc since they can sometimes do it on the premises. Smaller stores may have to send it off.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
@Applespider: Thanks, I'll take it in to see if I can get new firmware. :) I don't have that lastest firmware version. I have the previous. Actually, there's a newer version, but I'm not sure what it does exactly. Saw it at Howardforums.

dobbin said:
Which Nokia was it? Have you got any photos to show us?

I posted those pics above from my Sony Ericsson and have yet to see better pictures from a camera phone. These were not taken particularly carefully and I didn't alter any of the settings. I just took the phone out of my pocket and quickly snapped - just what a camera phone is meant to do I think.

I don't see how you can say "SE phones take worse pictures than almost every camera phone". There is simply zero evidence to prove that :confused:

Yeah there is. Pictures from one phone posted beside pictures from another phone. In reviews. Also, my uncle has a Nokia. Don't know what model, but its fairly recent (even by Hong Kong standards ;) ), and its a white phone with the brown keys. The keypad is also a weird shape, but the phone is very recognizable if you've seen it.

And of course, you ask me for proof. This sounds like a reasonable request, but I haven't bookmarked or referenced everything I read in newspapers, magazine, textbook, or webpage for reference purposes? Sorry, but I just had a frustrating convo with another guy who said I was lying because I read something health-related one time, told this guy what I read, and yet I couldn't prove it because I didn't know the source. I can't prove this either because I don't know the webpage.

I can tell you to search in Howard Forums. Those guys post links to reviews all the time for new phones. At the time, the Moto e398 (ie: the camera used for the Motorola iTunes phone presentation) took better pictures than any SE at the time, and yet was cheaper than my K700i. Of course, this was before the "firmware update" that apparently improves camera performance.

I have another friend who just got an O2 phone or something from Malaysia, and it totally rocks. Even the video isn't blurry when you move the camera quickly. It is simply amazing, and the pictures turn out perfectly.

Also, Samsung has a phone with a 7 MP camera and 3x optical zoom, as well as an older 5 MP camera with 3x optical zoom, so I'm sure there's better cameras out there than SE. And like I mentioned, the very new K750 takes better photos than even recent SE models.

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2002
England
OK, I'm happy to accept there are phones around with better cameras than the SE s700i. I can trust you without seeing them. BUT... when I did my research a month or so ago, the S700i definitely had the best camera of any generally available phone (exc 3G) in the UK. By that, I mean the phones that I could go and buy (or get free :D) in a phone shop on the high street, rather than ordering from Japan or HK or wherever.
I still don't think you can say SE take worse pictures than almost any other phone. My pics above are the proof against that. Maybe your K700i is poor, but my s700i is not :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.