New Monitor and Speakers for MacBook/Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacBook.Matt, Jun 8, 2009.

1. MacBook.Matt macrumors regular

Hi. I'm looking to purchase a high definition 1080p monitor to use with my xbox 360 and unibody macbook. My current setup consists of:

2.5 ghz MacBook Aluminum
    Xbox 360 Console
    AOC 20-inch 1680x1050 Monitor
    Some $10 Logitech Speakers
    Griffin Elevator Notebook Stand
    Microsoft Bluetooth Mouse

I currently have both the Xbox 360 (via hdmi) and the MacBook (via DVI) hooked up to the AOC monitor. Works great, only the AOC monitor is not high definition, which is a major plus when playing games on the xbox. I'm on a budget, yet I always just have to buy the best item in my price range. Always. I'm trying to break the habit, but its harder than it sounds. My ultimate goal is to obtain a bluetooth keyboard, new speakers, and a new monitor for my xbox. I'm also going off to college in a couple months, and hence will have to purchase a new TV for my dorm room. Ive looked at several options and ultimately want to know what your opinions are, and if you know of any lower prices:

KEYBOARD: Apple Wireless Keyboard $80

SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-2300 $110

MONITOR: HP 2159m 21.5" 1080p Monitor $190

Samsung T220 HD $270

Any suggestions?

I just noticed that the samsung is not 1080p, which is a problem. I only thought of it b/c it could double as a TV in college, thus saving me money in the long run. Maybe the hp is the best route...

2. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

3. MacBook.Matt thread starter macrumors regular

Well it depends. I expect to spend $80 on the keyboard, $125 on the speakers (with shipping) and the monitor is somewhat flexible. $200 if it has no tv tuner, and perhaps $300 if it does. I am also open to slightly used, open box, and refurb models to cut down the costs. Just need my high def fix.

4. HBOC macrumors 68020

i bought my monitor from best buy. It is a Hannspree 1080p 24" It is superb!! I use it with my MBP and my Elite. It has both HDMI and DVI. I dunno if it has a built in tuner, but i think if i hook up my cable box (HD) to it (it has HDMI, ofcourse) I could get tv out of it. The built in speakers suck, but for $189, who cares. Also, newegg has Hanns-G (same company) and it get amazing reviews.