New Monitor for MBP or new IMAC?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lukester, Dec 5, 2009.

1. lukester macrumors 6502

I read an article about just using a laptop as your main computer, desktop.

So I went to a MBP 2.16 dual core version which has been working out except for times when I need to get accurate color correction for my pro photography business.
    I have an older, too old now CRT that I hoop up to it many times for photo editing but now I realize that that monitor needs to be replaced.

So here is the question what are the pros and cons for adding another computer, do I really need it. I am trying to make a decision.

I really like my MBP, I can do everything on it and the speed is fine.
    Also having only one computer is easy for backing up and not worrying about file sharing and all the nonsense I guess.
    I have an office with my CRT in there much most of the time but it's dark and boring so I bring my laptop in the kitchen where I surf, edit and watch tv from the living room..

That being said I just started to get the bug about a new quad Imac 27" and went yesterday to look at it.

I came very close to walking out with it. Yes it would be awesome to have but do I really need it? The other alternative is buying the new 24" ips screen and running that off my MBP when I need to do critical photo editing.

Then I am thinking my laptop is over 3 years old now and wonder what is the life on it? I would hate to buy the nice desk top and not use it, plus I would need more backup systems etc.

I do you external HD.s for all my clients photos so if I choose to work on them I just move the HD.

Any advice?? New 27" Imac or will the 24" monitor suffice?

2. janstett macrumors 65816

They say the new iMacs can double as a monitor for another computer, so why not get the iMac and have the best of both worlds?

;)

Although to be serious, you can get nice 20-24" displays for a few hundred bucks, much cheaper than the cost of an iMac. On the other hand, the new iMacs will have newer, more powerful processors.

If you bought your MBP literally 3 years ago, chances are you have the first Intel MBP, which will be a Core 2 (not a Core 2 Duo), doesn't support more than 2GB RAM and doesn't support 64 bit.

As for needing multiple computers, well, I have 7 in my den so I'm the wrong guy to ask. When I work I multitask heavily so I literally cannot work without less than two computers at a time.

You can justify it if you've ever brought your computer to a crawl by trying to do too many things at once or if you've ever decided to do some big background task later when you're done working.

3. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

its Core Duo, there is no Core 2 :D

4. mcruzader macrumors regular

I think you are trying to get the best of both worlds portability plus power, is your current Laptop suffice your needs? Does it ever slow down when editing? How much money do you have to play around with? What is the size of your current MBP? 15? 17?

5. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a 15" and it seems to work fine

I just found out that the new 24" monitor can only be used with machines 1 year old or newer since it uses the new mini dvi connector.. there is not cable made to connect to older laptops.. how stupid is that??

6. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a 2.16 core 2 duo with 3 gig of ram

7. tooobe macrumors regular

If i were you i would just buy a new non-apple IPS monitor. That's plenty of power in your MBP, and you seem to be satisfied with the performance of it. Why spend more than you have to?

8. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

Just back from Apple store

First, the new 24" absolutely can nut be run off older MBP.s

Talked to a couple of sales people today. One was another photographer and said that the images do have more contrast on the glossy screens, the glass does effect the image. So if I do adjust images and they look great, they may come back printed softer, not as contrasty..

So I didn't come home with a new Imac.

Another girl there does use a matte screen 17" MBP do image editing and she agreed that the glass does kick up the contrast.

I guess I will have to go to another monitor MFG. like NEC has a nice IPS panel for $899 24". Or I sell my 15" laptop new HD, battery, extra meg ram should be worth about a $1k..
    Problem is those 17" go for $2550 with matte screen.

Since I have kooled off I am going to research this some more.

9. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

many, and Im talking at least 10, photographers I know all pretty much use the same 2 displays.*

24" Dell 2405/2407/2410 24" and the 27" Dell 2709

The Dells are highly respected among them, they love the color accuracy and the built in card reader and the ability to rotate the screens.

It I have a 3 year old 2405, looks as good as the day I bought it.

I understand the photographers "its got more contrast" mantra on glossy screens. To my reply of "how did you calibrate it?" I often get a big round of silence.

NO matter what display you buy -- or even a 27" iMac -- you have got to figure in $200+ for a good color calibrator. And you need to use it regularly.

27" iMac with the i5 chip is $1850 at macconnection, they extended their sale prices... order today.

*The rest use 30" Apples.

10. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

I have been looking at the HP 2475 display, it too gets very high ratings for an IPS display.. $550? I was looking at a NEC 2490 series, $899

The HP does have a bit more adjustments than the dell.

I am not doing the glossy screen no matter how tempting the rest of the computer is.

11. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...sounds like you need to get a nice monitor (HP, Dell or NEC) would be the way to go... mid next year there may be new laptop architectures so it would be worth waiting...

12. Dexter v House macrumors member

I have the HP LP2475w however I've had no luck running it from my early 2009 MBP using the miniDP-DVI dongle from Apple. It's been a while since I tried it, & haven't bothered to try to get it fixed due to lack of time, but from what I recall it couldn't support 1920x1200 at all. I think others have had luck with a miniDP to DisplayPort cable, I don't know.
    Just a heads-up if you go down this route. For what it's worth it's a great panel though.
    Here's a review from MacWorld with a comment from a reader with the same problem (scroll down)
    http://www.macworld.com/article/139684/2009/05/hp_lp2475w.html

13. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

I do believe they have a mini dvi to dvi converter cable for monitors without the mini dvi. I don't see why your 13" mbp should not run the external monitor. I know my 15" mbp will go up to 2500 PPi monitor.
    I will probably more up to an anti glare 17" MBP some day so it would not be smart to buy a monitor that will not work with a mini dvi video connection.
    I am still trying to sort out which way to go, and I am not ruling out totally the new Imac. I need to do more research. I wish I could get an answer from some pro photographers who I know of and get their opinion about the glossy screen.

One thing I do believe is that let's say you have a nice B&W photo print in your hand, then put a piece of glass over it, what happens? The photo immediately looks more constrasty and pops..
    That's what the glass does on the monitor, yes it makes everything look great, but if you adjust images on the screen I believe the output may look less contrasty and sharp when printed.. I think...