New Monitor: Get one now or wait till Black Friday?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gumbyx84, Nov 9, 2009.

1. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Hey all. I am here once again to ask for your help. I am planning on getting a new monitor for my MBP and have decided on a Asus 23" LCD Monitor w/ HDMI. Newegg has a 23.6" model, but I would rather get it at a store in case I get bad pixels or the like. I was about to order it online (and pick it up in store tomorrow) when I remembered that Black Friday is coming up. I haven't gone shopping on that "fun" day in almost 4 years (being poor college student sucks), but I remember that they usually have monitors on sale. I don't remember the quality of them though.

Basically, I'm trying to find out if its worth waiting till Black Friday and fighting the crowds to get a deal (better monitor/same price or same quality/cheaper price). Anyone with more experience then I (or insider knowledge) care to help me out?

2. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I stopped shopping on black friday when I realized that retail black friday prices are similar to year round internet store prices, even lower if you factor in no sales tax and usually on high ticket items you can get cheap or free shipping. Plus internet stores have black friday sales as well.

Clawing my way into a store at 6am among frothing consumers just isn't my idea of fun, or worth saving a couple of bucks.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No need to wonder. Sites like bfads.com, fatwallet.com, slickdeals.com, etc. post BF ads in the weeks leading up to BF. Many ads have already leaked. From what I've seen it's going to be more like Bleak Friday. I haven't seen anything worth fighting a crowd for.

Also most retail stores have price guarantees & if the price goes down w/i 30 days after you bought they'll refund the difference. They don't count "door busters" (like 6am - 10pm only), Quanitity limited, and bundle deals though.

4. ankh macrumors member

> I would rather get it at a store in case I get bad pixels

That's what I decided.

Ordered one (AOC) at Staples, and I'll find out tomorrow what the pixel lottery brought me.