Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

New monitor recommendation with usb-c

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
My wife has ordered a MacBook Pro M1, and now we think we should replace her ageing Apple Cinema Display monitor (I think it's 20") from 2007!

Is it possible to get a 4K monitor, roughly 27", that connects to the MacBook Pro with a single USB-C to USB-C cable, that also acts as a charger for the Mac AND have the monitor work as a USB Hub?

EDIT: I've just discovered the LG Ultrafine 24MD4KL-B. Seems to be what I'm looking for.... however, is there a cheaper alternative?

Last edited:

mindquest

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009
My wife has ordered a MacBook Pro M1, and now we think we should replace her ageing Apple Cinema Display monitor (I think it's 20") from 2007!

Is it possible to get a 4K monitor, roughly 27", that connects to the MacBook Pro with a single USB-C to USB-C cable, that also acts as a charger for the Mac AND have the monitor work as a USB Hub?

EDIT: I've just discovered the LG Ultrafine 24MD4KL-B. Seems to be what I'm looking for.... however, is there a cheaper alternative?
You might want to follow this thread.

Reactions: superleccy
Comment

ght56

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2020
Do you want 4K @ 60 Hz AND USB 3 speeds? If so, that is going to severely limit your selection. If you are okay with USB 2.0 speeds, then the sky is the limit.

Reactions: superleccy
Comment

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
Do you want 4K @ 60 Hz AND USB 3 speeds? If so, that is going to severely limit your selection. If you are okay with USB 2.0 speeds, then the sky is the limit.
It's for my wife. I am struggling to think of any purpose she'd actually need USB 3 speeds for right now, although longevity will be a bonus. Her last monitor lasted her 13+ years and it'd be nice to keep this one until (checks calendar) 2033.

The biggest win here is simplicity. Only needing a single cable for power delivery, monitor connection and a USB-Hub will significantly reduce the time I spend on technical support.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.