Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ejrizo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Ok so i just bought a MacBook Pro on Saturday... and i had an old Apple Studio Display Monitor 17 inch CRT With my PowerMac G4 (which Died)... well the problem is that it is a ADC connection rather than the Laptops DVI... and i found out the adapter is 100 bucks through apple... to me its not worth it for a CRT so im thinking of picking up a new 3rd party monitor.... LCD ... so here is where i ask you for help... Which one should i pick up?? any experiences? ... im looking to spend up to $200 dollars on one... now shoot me your best for the price.... or save me money and recomend a cheeper one thats good quality even if its smaller.

rufhausen

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Littleton, CO
I tried to find one for around that price, but there really isn't one if you have a discerning eye or need an accurate monitor.

I ended up paying $369 for an Ultrasharp Dell 2007WFP. Much better than the 20" Acer I tried for $218. Well worth the extra cash.

BlueArctos

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2007
I paid a hefty sum for the Dell 2407WFP UltraSharp LCD display. Definitely happy with my purchase.

I've used LCD models of all makes and models, so it was certainly a shock to be so charmed by how well the UltraSharp line performed in relation to competitors who market to "professionals." The UltraSharps respond surprisingly well to calibration.

I'd spring a little extra and go for the UltraSharp model that best suits you.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I really like the ViewSonic displays right now, I would recommend this 20" one which is $200. I have the 22", which is one step above this one and it's great.

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2007
US
I definitely concure with the above posts... however, I needed more realstate for my MBP and really couldn't afford anything really nice at the time, and as I do do graphics, but don't need super good accuracy for color and all that, I could live with a cheaper monitor. I picked up the LCD in my sig for 230 (including tax and everything) open box at best buy. It really is a good monitor for the price. Takes a while with playing with the contrast, color and brightness to get it to match my MBP, but after about 15 min I got it pretty decent. Isn't adjustable angle wise, but really does the job. For the price I'm loving it.

WHen I was looking there were also some 19 and 20 inch models on tiger direct of the same brand, all got good reviews for the price. If you can't spring the extra 150 or 200, I suggest one of these.

I've heard good things about these, they get good reviews
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2881220&CatId=12

Also.. here's an acer like I have but a bit smaller. The res is good for a 20 inch as some are still 1400 .. this one is 1690 by 1100 or whatnot. These monitors can definitely look washed out, but really it does take a while, but you can fix that by fiddling with the contrast vs brightness and the color... def the color. (you can see that as one complaint.. and I think it's why mine was returned at first because i turned it on and it was set HORRIBLY, but if you know about it you can def get it good)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2943578&CatId=2776

If you CAN spring right now though, order a dell online if you can find a good deal. Def. worth it.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
if you look on craigslist or ebay, i'm sure you can get a decent 20" dell lcd for around $200. i had a 20" dell 2005fpw which i sold for exactly that amount.

rufhausen

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Littleton, CO
FWIW:
I purposely chose a 20" monitor (1680x1050) over a 22" (also 1680x1050) due to the higher pixel density of the 20" ( same number of pixels, smaller space, smaller dot pitch).
Desktop real estate is the same, but it tends to be sharper image.
There are also 21" monitors out that there that split the difference.

john2006wright

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
UK
I've been looking at these models in the UK and they are way over priced. Anyone know of any good deals in th UK on a good 20"

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
Samsung 215tw - excellent display with great specs. I'm sure you can find one used for around 2-300.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
They look kinda flat in comparison to the image depth on the ACD (which is fantastic) and they also seem to lack in detail in brighter areas of the image.

Lock

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
Canada
Can anyone tell me how that Ultrasharp Dell compares to the Apple displays?

In the video editing room down the hall from where I'm working they have two identical mac pros. One is hooked up to dual 23inch ADCs and the other to dual Dell 24inch Ultrasharps. I just checked them out again and to me they look practically identical. I would say that the ADC seemed to be slightly better, but that's probably my bias towards apple and my unprofessional eyes.

Besides the display quality, the ADC looks much better sitting beside a mac, but the Dell has a lot more flexibility for inputs (S-vid, composite, component, vga, dvi, from what I recall) and the ability to raise and lower the screen is nice.

So, overall I'd say they compare very nicely. I'm looking to buy a 20-22 inch display myself and if the dells were a bit cheaper I'd definitely go for one.

myke323

macrumors regular
May 17, 2006
In the video editing room down the hall from where I'm working they have two identical mac pros. One is hooked up to dual 23inch ADCs and the other to dual Dell 24inch Ultrasharps. I just checked them out again and to me they look practically identical. I would say that the ADC seemed to be slightly better, but that's probably my bias towards apple and my unprofessional eyes.

Besides the display quality, the ADC looks much better sitting beside a mac, but the Dell has a lot more flexibility for inputs (S-vid, composite, component, vga, dvi, from what I recall) and the ability to raise and lower the screen is nice.

So, overall I'd say they compare very nicely. I'm looking to buy a 20-22 inch display myself and if the dells were a bit cheaper I'd definitely go for one.
Interesting...

Though at $339 the Dell US is almost half the price of the ACD...

rufhausen

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Littleton, CO

For this comparison, keep in mind that the 23" @ 1920x1200 will have more pixel density than the 24" dell @ 1920x1200 due to the slightly smaller screen. I would think that would give the ACD an edge when looking at small text, etc.

myke323

macrumors regular
May 17, 2006
I meant that they seem comparable in terms of quality and features (though not in looks, aluminum beats plastic any day), not in price.

Oh, sorry, i was saying that in reference to your response that "if the dells were a bit cheaper I'd definitely go for one."...

KumaChan

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2007
I bought a Dell 2407WFP-HC 24" with my new MBP and I think its value for money...
the MBP supports the 90 degree pivot and this does wonders when you have a portrait image to work on...Believe me ...you never knew how loooonnnggg our faces are!!! haha:D

On landscape, you can actually have 2 pages A4R life sized 100% displayed side by side!

In Singapore here...there's a special now on at SGD $899 includes delivery!!!

I think this is the best money to inches deal around and the resolution is great!
No calibration needed outta the box...literally plug and play and I sometimes lose sight of my many palettes!!! :)

Recommended highly. Good luck on your choice.

00hkelly

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
I've been looking at these models in the UK and they are way over priced. Anyone know of any good deals in th UK on a good 20"

Hi, I'm in the UK and i got this monitor through amazon.co.uk

Samsung SM205BW

Its been damn good, i use it for my xbox 360 and macbook pro. I would recommend it to anyone. Absolute bargain too.

here's a good review comparing it to the dell (the other one i was considering)
Dell/Samsung Comparison
conclusion: dell not worth the extra cash!

KumaChan

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2007
Hi...don't really know about the 20" as I have yet to see both for myself...

Just as a guide...the dell is actually using a samsung screen...anyone can confirm this? Saw this in the link below.

But if anyone is interested in acquiring some real big screen real estate thru a 24"...I found this very detailed SCREEN COMPARISON TEST which made my mind up as to which was a good choice for my MBP 15" desktop companion.

BlueArctos

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2007
They look kinda flat in comparison to the image depth on the ACD (which is fantastic) and they also seem to lack in detail in brighter areas of the image.
I've used the UltraSharp and Cinema Display together. They can be configured to look nearly identical (that doesn't mean "lowering" the settings of the ACD), although rufhausen is right in pointing out the greater pixel depth of the 23" compared to the 24". If you need every millimeter of detail you can get, you can choose to pay the premium price. Even still, they're incredible together. The Dell design aesthetic is not nearly as bad as their old flat panel displays.

Having calibrated both monitors and seen the number results, I'd say the human eye will find very little to zero difference between the two.

john2006wright

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
UK
Hi, I'm in the UK and i got this monitor through amazon.co.uk

Samsung SM205BW

Its been damn good, i use it for my xbox 360 and macbook pro. I would recommend it to anyone. Absolute bargain too.

here's a good review comparing it to the dell (the other one i was considering)
Dell/Samsung Comparison
conclusion: dell not worth the extra cash!

Cheers, great link. I'm trying avoid being tempted by the cheaper Acer or budget brands.
Thanks for your help
john

ladyfractal

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2008
Moving from Wintel to Mac

Greetings;

I've made the decision to buy a Macbook Pro and I'm looking at options for a monitor. I've seen the Cinema displays, they are gorgeous and expensive. I'm not a graphic designer or video editor, I'm studying to be a biology teacher with a growing hobby in photography (including astro-photography using a digital camera and telescope). My question is this: since I'm not a professional but *do* anticipate doing some desktop publishing, putting together presentations, and various school-ish projects would the $600 for a 20" Cinema display be worth it or overkill such as to be a waste of money.

There are plenty of decent 19 or 22 in LCD monitors. So my question is this; assuming that I bought a decent monitor, would there be a noticeable difference or is it the kind of thing that only a professional is really going to take notice of? Thanks in advance. I'm putting together a shopping list to go to the Apple store with and already I'm up around 3K.

Thanks in advance for responses.

Cheers
LF

trcwest

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2008
Lg 22"

I am thinking of getting the LG L226 WTQ

2ms response time

3000:1 and 5000:1 Extension button Contrast Ratio

300 Lum Brightness

Pretty good specs and Reviews on cnet uk and pc advisor.....

its pretty cheap as-well... £180

I am almost definitely going to get it unless someone else can persuade me otherwise

lapetitefurie

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2008
the Tardis
Acer

I know some have posted that these can be washed out. However, I'm really pleased with mine. I just ordered an AL2216W from Newegg for $240 with free shipping. I'm well pleased with my purchase. Lots of screen space and it provided good color without too terribly much tweaking.

Basically, I wanted something that I could throw two Word windows up on side-by-side.

::shrugs:: The Dells are quite pretty, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.