Tablets New Nexus 7 announced, Ball in Apple's court

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by srkmish, Jul 24, 2013.

1. srkmish macrumors regular

srkmish

With such killer specs on new Nexus 7, i really think Apple cant afford to stick to low res screen in next ipad mini. Its great what google is doing with low cost yet highly packed nexus devices, it will force apple to step up their game. Competition benefits everyone :D. Cant wait to see what apple announce for the new mini.

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Look, the Kindle Fire HD blows both of them away in quality. It sounds GREAT, and the screen is great. It feels great too. But at the end of the day, it's still Android. The Nexus 7 is still an Android device.

It's not about how GOOD it looks and sounds, it's about how WELL it works for the user. Android as a tablet still falls WAY behind. Even Windows 8 makes a better "tablet" than the Nexus 7. :rolleyes:

3. srkmish thread starter macrumors regular

srkmish

I dont want to start an android vs ios war here, but i have to give credit where it is due . The nexus 7 screen is better than mini for reading and web browsing cuz the text is sharper.

Even though i love my mini, apple has compromised on mini's resolution . Even my 120$ Ainol Venus android tab gives a better experience while reading ebook cuz of sharper text.

Yes, there might be a bit of inconsistencies in android experience, that doesnt take away the fact that nexus 7 is a great tablet.

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

...and how WELL it works for the user varies from person to person. One tablet isn't best for everyone or else everyone would use that one tablet.

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Exactly! I don't consume media on my iPad (I even turn off the wifi), but my dad and brother do on their Kindles. Hence, this is more for that crowd.

6. InsideBoxer macrumors member

Many sources say there will be no new iPad Mini in 2013 :(

7. FrankB1191, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013

FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

Lisa Gade from MobileTechReview is anything but an Apple fangirl, and she said her beloved Nexus 7 has been collecting dust since she bought an iPad Mini. I personally can't stand the narrow screen on most (all?) Android tablets, and only being able to see 60% of what is visible on a Mini in landscape mode is not enjoyable. Specs are one thing, but they're just numbers. I've seen the gaming videos for the Nexus/Android tablets vs the Mini on YouTube, and the Mini has much more graphic content.

P.S. I do have two Samsung 7" tablets in the house, but they've not seen the light of day since I went with Apple tablets. My wife and I bought Samsung's Note 10.1 and Note 8.0, and returned them both for Ipad 4's and a Mini. The Android tablets were a hodgepodge of various ideas, with little in the way of any unifying OS like Apple offers. Samsung has a TV device "like" Apple TV, but it works just like most reviewers say: Awful. We had that one night, and I was ready to pull my hair out.

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Many sources have no idea what they are talking about.

9. InsideBoxer macrumors member

I hope you're right.

10. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

The iPad mini is out-selling the regular iPad.

11. LightOnAHill macrumors regular

Text may be sharper but I've not seen a screen on any tablet that has a whiter white than the ipad or ipad mini.

It's not always about resolution...

12. coops macrumors regular

but NOT web browsing because 7" is not big enough, made even worse by the status bar stealing screen space from the top and the even worse soft buttons on the bottom.

I have the nexus 7 - it's almost a good tablet. Wrong size and poor software design bork it, though.

(Yes, I've rooted it and installed a program to have gesture removal of the two screen wasting bars... and it's still evident that one extra inch of an ipad mini makes a very large difference)

I'll be getting a retina ipad mini as soon as it appears... that was always my plan, it's just that now i'm itching to just go ahead and get the regular ipad mini anyway until then (the N7 has shown me that a smaller tablet is enough... just not this one :) ).

13. mwebb macrumors member

I'm probably going to buy one, but...

I'm probably going to buy one, since I'm a big fan of Google services, but honestly you can get all the Google services on iOS, but the opposite isn't true, you can't get all Apple services (iTunes and iMessage and FaceTime are the biggies for me) on Android.

In addition, Apple has much better device encryption than Android.

There are only two things iOS that annoy me: no swipe keyboard on the Apple - once you've gotten the hang of swiping on a Nexus 7, you never want to go back. I can match my physical keyboard speed and with much less fatigue. And I don't like the fact that iOS penalizes me in a couple of ways if I use Chome as my browser (Safari by default opens links, other browsers run slower due to design limitations imposed by iOS).

Yes, 512 mb on the mini seems inadequate, but my kid's mini runs fast and smooth, faster and smoother than my Nexus 7. Still, I do wish Apple would think about future proofing the mini by increasing the RAM. I wish they would be more considerate of my pocketbook in their pricing for each bump in storage capacity as well.

The thing really holding me back from a mini, for over a year now? Not the price or a few quirks. Simply, the lack of a Retina display. Even the old Nexus 7 has substantially better pixel density. The new even higher resolution Nexus 2 7" further raises the bar. I want to read books without staring at pixelated text!

Ironically, if Apple can shrink the upcoming iPad 5 the way the rumors suggest - mini-style thin with reduced bezels - I'd really consider going with one of those instead of the long awaited Retina mini - I don't hate on a larger screen, I just don't want to pay the weight and size penalty that go with it. If those "penalties" are reduced enough, though, the original sized screen in a smaller lighter body might be just the "right" size for me. Until I have one in my hands in a bricks and mortar store, I won't know.

BTW I have a hybrid usage model - I travel with a Nexus 7 and a 5th gen Touch. The Touch gives me a great camera, plus FaceTime and iMessage for staying in touch with my family, who are very i-centric (with iPhones and iPads). But since the Touch makes reading web pages and even using FaceBook a visual challenge, I simply switch to the Nexus for those chores. I never planned this, but it works, even though I'd rather just have one device! Yes I tried lugging along my iPad 4 one trip, but it mainly stayed in its case - too heavy to hold and balance, and the Touch was sufficient for iMessage and FaceTimed, the Nexus for the web and books.

Until that single, "right" tablet comes along, I guess I'll just have to be quirky in my favorites and usage.

14. HarryWild macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

I rather have an iPad Mini Retina then the full size iPad 5 myself! I hope Apple gets the iPad Mini Retina for 2013. Don't care much for the iPad5; since it just to big for my uses.

2014 seems like a long time away in July! In addition; Apple would miss the holiday season demand. From talking with Apple store employees; the Mini is more popular then the full size iPad. I hope Apple knows this fact; and will produce the Mini Retina and not the iPad 5 if they had to choice one or the other.

15. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

Almost perfect device except that its made from plastic and not aluminum. Why can't they just design attractive looking products in line with apple's philosophy.

16. akuma13 macrumors 6502a

akuma13

This! Yes the iPad 5 should get its new redesign and be released soon but like you said what's on most people's mind is when a Retina ipad mini is coming out. Apple tends to follow the beat of their own drum but in the ever changing tech world it's becoming more of a luxury. With all the rumors pointing to no retina mini this year, Apple is basically shooting themselves in the foot. Once the Nexus 7 LTE is up for release, I'm all over it!

17. sk1wbw macrumors 68040

sk1wbw

So you're saying a brand new device has a screen that is better than a device that's almost a year old? :eek:

18. Oletros macrumors 603

Oletros

In this particular case, the original Nexus 7 had sharper text than the iPad Mini

19. sk1wbw macrumors 68040

sk1wbw

Coming from a user of both and an owner of a Nexus 7, I'd still rather have an iPad Mini. The Nexus 7 is a good tablet, but Android doesn't run as smoothly on it. Hell, iOS ran better on my first gen iPad than Android does on my Nexus 7, which is about 4 years newer. Screen quality is important yet, but when the device is somewhat sluggish, you don't care how nice the screen is.

20. Oletros macrumors 603

Oletros

I don't know why you talk about what tablet is better or not, it has nothing to do with the original comment and your answer to it.

The OP said that the screen is better and you sarcastically responded that it is a new device. The fact is that the original Nexus had a sharper screen so it has nothing to do with being newer or not.

21. sk1wbw macrumors 68040

sk1wbw

That wasn't sarcasm. It's how the stuff works. One company releases a new product with better stuff and a one year old model and then that company releases something with newer stuff on it than the other model and so on and so on. I'm just pointing out the obvious. I know Android fanboys sit around with kleenex and Jergen's lotion when new Android hardware comes out so they talk smack about iOS devices, most likely stuff they've never used. People are so biased and partisan on this stuff.

22. Elit3 macrumors regular

Really? I disagree, but it is all opinion, the Windows 8 is a perfect design for a tablet, but it only have like 300k apps, with android 1M+, and pushing Tablet Apps hard. looks and sounds are a big part of it, and almost got me to dislike my N4, the sound is terrible! Yeah, Android is for the more (no offence BTW) tech savvy, or nerdy people, and the KFHD was a really blow, it was a dive for Amazon, it used to be Amazon (representing android, even though many hate the kindle, and say android is the engine, and not the OS) vs Apple.
    Now it is "do you have an iPad?"
    "Nah I prefer android"
    "Ah so you have a Nexus"

Nexus has finally become (well atleast for tablets), the most recognised android, which is good. And I dislike the fact that they took away the very "tablet" way the N7 2012 and 2013 should have functioned, and made it closer to the phone format.
    I may upgrade from 2012 to 2013, but most likely I will wait for N10.

23. Oletros macrumors 603

Oletros

Apart of you rtant about Android fanboys that I don't know why you do it is clear that you don't get the point but it is better to give up.

24. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

On the other hand my Mini is in a case because I don't like the feel of it naked but my Nexus 7 feels right without a case.

25. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Had to search to check that this was legit