New Nikon 35mm f/1.8 AF-S prime for $200 -- the "nifty fifty" for DX

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by rogersmj, Feb 9, 2009.

1. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

2. Nicholie macrumors regular

DX, bleh. I'm on a DX sensor but I still prefer buying FX lenses if I can as one day I'll move that direction. Still a very nice lens, might be worth it.

3. craigsharp macrumors regular

The "nifty-fifty" that you are referring to meant that the focal length was 50mm, not 35mm like the nikon. Also, Nikon makes a 50mm f/1.8 that's closer in price to the "nifty-fifty".

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well he said it was like the "nifty-fifty" for DX because the effective focal length is around 50 mm, and so it offers the same field of view as a nifty-fifty did on SLRs. The 50 mm f1.8 was never a very "nifty" focal length for DSLR users on DX sensors.

Anyway, I'd rather have seen a new AF-S 50 mm f1.8 as well. A strictly digital lens isn't necessarily bad, especially for that price, but they should also fill the demand for the 50 mm f/1.8 by updating it. I guess it's OK though, since the 50 mm was never a slow focusing lens.

5. Hmac macrumors 68020

I think he meant that at 35mm, this AF-S prime on a DX sensor camera would be the rough equivalent of a 50mm on a full-frame sensor. By the same token, the 50mm f/1.8 D lens that you are referring to would be the rough equivalent of a 75mm lens on a DX sensor.

6. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

FWIW:

My 50 is my least used lens, with that pattern of disuse stretching over nearly 30 years. But if you guys really want them, far be it for me to stand in your way.

7. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Good news. Should make a great small lightweight package on a D40/60, with more versatility than the 50mm.

Is this the first DX prime from Nikon?
    Does it have a metal mount? It does say it has a rubber gasket.

Hopefully it'll be cheap. Unfortunately Nikon gear has jumped in price in the UK, I assume due to our weak currency.

8. craigsharp macrumors regular

I know what he meant, but the term nifty fifty is even used by DSLR canon users for the 50mm lens. otherwise it would be known as the nifty 80. lol. just jokin, i knew what he meant.

9. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Looks interesting although I wish that Nikon would come out with a cheap (super) wide-angle lens. Then I'd get a D40 and that lens and convert it to infrared to do landscapes :)

10. rogersmj thread starter macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Yes, thank you, I know what nifty fifty means, that's why I put it in quotes and said "for DX". :rolleyes:

And I also know about the 50mm f/1.8 -- I own one. It doesn't autofocus on the D40(x) or D60, so this 35mm lens is big news for D40, D40x, and D60 owners, as well as any DX owner who feels 50mm is too long and/or the 50mm f/1.4 AF-S is too pricey at $430 or so.

Especially if Nikon makes plenty of these and the prices come down a touch, I'm quite sure they'll sell extremely well.

11. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

I'll be very interested to see how this compares optically to the 35mm f/2. If you're using anything other than a D40/x/60 then you've got a choice. Full-frame, fantastic optics but no AF-s or this, which is also cheaper. Good work Nikon.

Oh, according to DP Review it's £199 in the UK.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Or the Sigma 30 mm f/1.4 Personally, I'd rather have the Sigma 30 mm. I don't know why, but I really prefer the slightly larger lens designs even if they're heavier. They may also offer certain advantages, just like the Sigma 50 mm f1.4 does over other 50 mm lenses.

13. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

The Sigma 30/1.4 is also twice the rumored cost of this rumored new 35/1.8 from Nikkor....

14. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

This is great news for Nikonians. The D40, D40x, and D60 just got that much better.

15. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Cue the complaints that it should have been a 35/1.4 FF lens and how people can't see why Nikon would leave the FF users out in the cold...

16. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Hmm, bit pricey considering DX is supposed to make lenses cheaper. Hopefully street prices will considerably undercut this.

17. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

Looks good to me, I'll probably pick one up. Hopefully the street price will be a little cheaper...

18. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Is a bit odd that the price is the same in USD... Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy overseas and ship it over in that case?

19. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

It's usually cheaper, but after customs, VAT and handling, plus shipping and all the kerfuffle it's hardly worth it.

20. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Yes, and the exchange rate is really not helping at the moment either.
    I've noticed that most of the Nikon camera bodies have gone up by around £50 in the past couple of months. Some lenses have crept up in price too.

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That's because Nikon and Canon raised their prices. I guess the announcement was applicable worldwide.

The guy wants to compare the new 35 mm f/1.8 to the optical quality of the old 35 mm f/2, which really isn't that much different in price from the Sigma 30 mm f/1.4. ;) If optical quality is all that's of interest, I assume they can be a slightly different price (in absolute monetary terms....I know the percentage difference is a lot).

Saying that, I'd probably stop the comparison there and not try to compare it to the uber-expensive Nikon 28 mm f1.4, besides not being a particularly good lens.

22. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

Yeah, the 35mm f/2 is about £240 over here, so assuming minimal discounting for a while there's not that much of a price difference!

23. Abraxsis macrumors 6502

Abraxsis

Yeah, I was told that as of Feb 1st all wholesale prices for Nikon gear took a 15% jump. Which I am sure turns out to be 15% past on to consumers for low cost items and 20% for high ticket items.

24. Bluefusion macrumors 6502

Bluefusion

This looks fantastic-- I just bought the (really superb) 50mm f/1.8 (at $100, it's a steal), but it doesn't AF with my D40 (I knew it wouldn't, but still). The problem with that amazing low-light performance is that most of the time, you use it in the dark-- and thus have a hard time manually focusing :) This seems like a great lens, especially since it has a focus drive and is at 35mm in digital (my absolute favorite focal)... they'll be selling an awful lot of 'em.