New/Old Mac and im stuck

azureus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
Kent, England
hi all, jut to let ya know abit about me. used PC's for ages. im resonable wth windows and have dabbled with linux. decided to go for a mac on a budget. i got an old G3 B/W cheap. but it had no HDD. i also got an old 30GB hard drive. where do i go from here. i know its a bit vague but i have no idea what i need to do next. all help is much apreciated. thx in advance

:) :) :)

azureus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
Kent, England
no i dont have any disks, one of my friends has an old mac she upgraded to os x could i use the old classic 9 cd she had or would i need to get some new ones. if the latter where could i get some/ how woud i get some. im guessing its not freeware yet!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
It's not freeware yet and I don't think Classic will work (to the best of my knowledge). You may be able to get a cheap copy from eBay though. :)

Alternatively, you could put a free flavour of PPC Linux on it. I haven't done this and wouldn't know where to begin but someone else may be able to help if you're interested. :)

azureus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
Kent, England
thanks for the help. i took ya advice and installed a ppc distro of linux. all is good (exept a few tething problems)

thanks again

thewhitehart

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
You should most definitely go get a copy of mac os to put on your new mac if you are brand new to macs. I use linux, so I'm not one to knock it, but you could put linux on any old pc. Macs need Mac OSes, or they're not happy. Kind of like a tamogotchi if you forget to feed it.

OS 7.0.1 is free from Apple. Then again, I am most certain that the G3 may not support booting into it, and it is from 1991... but it's got a calculator and a slide-puzzle!! :D