New one or Refurb in my case?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by miragebg, Nov 2, 2011.

1. miragebg macrumors 6502a

Hi guys!
    I am considering of taking back my 4S, because of spec of dust under the screen and two little scratches on the display under the glass.
    I am already crossed the 14 days limit and I am wondering - am I gonna recieve a refurb or new one?
    Is it worth to take it back for lets say- not so big problems (in the other hand screen tint is excellent, no dead pixels ) and get a refurb?
    What would you advice me?

2. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

pretty sure the refurbs are not out in the wild yet.

3. miragebg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Once I realized what OCD I have became , plus many more like me here- wouldn't be wondered if there are many refurbs already...:)))

4. Coley macrumors member

Apple store genius told me once that phones given out as replacements are different in a few ways. The outsides are new and should be fresh and spotless, the glass, or if it be plastic on 3g/3gs, etc. and they are generally identical to all others; the insides can come from other sources differing from original phones manufactured, such as a generic piece that meets standards (versus a part that was initially made by a certain company for all original new phones) or parts that came from phones that were perhaps a few days old, and had serious problems in some way, but other parts left functioning and in basically perfect condition.
    He said that there is a specific department that is responsible for output of all the replacement phones. Whatever that means...factory? I don't know...he gave it a name/more technical descriptor for it at the time too, but of course I've forgotten. Bleh.

I asked him straight out if my phone was a refurb, and maybe he told me all that to make me feel better; I think it's pretty darn lame if you don't get a new phone to replace something with a manufacturers defect. In a sense, if you get one that is malfunctioning, it's like you never got a real "new phone" in the first place (since not all things are functioning as they should/as expected), so I feel entitled to one lol

Anyway, I'm sure they get on making the replacement phones as soon as humanly possible with each release, and if they are using slightly different bits or organ donors from failed phones then they are making a product that is like....virtually not used....and I guess therefore not technically refurbished. Just....frankenstein'd. If what he said is true, that is.

5. hollowplayer macrumors regular

6. Andylar macrumors regular

I checked my brand new 4s against the refurb serial I got and both where produced in the same week and from the same factory, I'm happy enough I didn't get a refurb now

7. hollowplayer macrumors regular

i also have replacement phone, but it says cleaned up from. I guess i got an exchanged or returned phone.

Attached Files:

8. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

That means it "cleaned up" your serial number input (you probably substituted a Zero for an O, or a One for an I).

9. hollowplayer macrumors regular

oh yeah, sorry for my mistake, left two space after copied and pasted.

10. daaneel macrumors regular

I think this is why their replacement program is so succesful,
    they dont have to spend the extra money on replacing internals.
    Therefore making alot of Apple customers happy :D

11. Andylar macrumors regular

The original and the replacement I have are week 40's

Highly unlikely one is a refurb IMO

12. Andylar macrumors regular

Just compared the battery info from the replacement and it's on a par with the original, also the screen on the replacement is nowhere near as bright as the original I have, might stick with the original and send the refurb back

13. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Some of the stores DO, in fact, have refurbs. The Jacksonville store just got their first shipment on Monday.