New Orleans: 18 Shot At Mother's Day Parade

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Risco, May 12, 2013.

1. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

2. snberk103 macrumors 603

The world?

3. raw8725 macrumors regular

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Is it so bad that we're worried about our own problems?

5. Orange Crane macrumors 6502

And is it so bad to point out something terrible without mentioning every. single. other terrible thing in the world? Some people just have to nitpick I guess.

6. raw8725 macrumors regular

Sorry the last time I checked, the united Kingdom was NOT a part of the USA.

7. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Man get a life. :rolleyes:

If you're so concerned about murders from those countries, what are you doing about it? Making a thread about it to bring it to our attention and talk about it? No, you're not. You just come on here to trash this thread. Do something about it or just mind your own business.

8. snberk103 macrumors 603

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Not to put words in the OP's mouth, but maybe he's just sick and tired of all the gun violence and the cavalier attitude so many Americans have about it.

10. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I don't think anyone has a cavalier attitude about gun violence. I just think that many of us disagree on what the solution to the problem is.

11. snberk103 macrumors 603

You have to get past the Charles I, and mounted horsemen bits... but I looked up the definition of Cavalier, and I think rdowns uses the word quite accurately, imho.

12. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Yes, those who want to find a solution propose reasonable regulations that are designed to prevent crazy people who have no second amendment rights anyway from getting guns, and then there are those whose only solution is to make it easier for crazy people to get guns.

A well-regulated militia... yet, any regulation, no matter how reasonable is opposed.

We disagree, but it is anything but a reasonable disagreement.

13. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

Funny about how they conveniently forget the word "regulated" when quoting amendments. :)

14. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Says you. A lot of people are rightfully hesitant to give up certain liberties because they know once they do there is a slippery slope for the government to try and take a little more, and then a little more after that, and then a little more after that.

15. snberk103 macrumors 603

I was always under the impression that by definition when folks live in a society of people, they give up some personal liberties in exchange for the benefits of living in that society. So, by definition you have already given up some of your liberties.... the question is only where that line should drawn? Should a society be able to amend the rules which govern individual's actions to cope with changes?

The US constitution was never meant to carved in stone. Heck - the 2nd Amendment itself is a change to the original constitution. How many amendments are there now?

16. Huntn, May 13, 2013
    Last edited: May 13, 2013

Huntn Suspended

Huntn

Why should guns be given more leniency than any other piece of technology that can be dangerous if handled improperly?

The answer: so we can fight the government when the next revolution comes.

The solution: Issue everyone a gun. :rolleyes:

17. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I agree with that completely. And therein lies the conflict. We have to figure out solutions to our society's problems. But the details of situations aren't hardly ever black and white. What may seem like a good idea to one may be a terrible idea to another. Its in the talking out of the issues (which both political parties and most special interest groups are pretty terrible at these days) where the common ground (in theory) gets found.

18. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Yes, those on the right are very adept at taking away liberties. Roe v. Wade gives women a right to privacy and control over their bodies, yet the GOP has done everything it can to take away those liberties. Voting is supposed to be a right, yet the GOP has done everything it can to disenfranchise voters or make their votes irrelevant.

While I understand the fear that if you give an inch on guns, someone is going to take a mile, but it isn't the democrats who have that track record. We had an assault weapon ban, we had other regulations, and still, NO one has made any real effort to actually criminalize guns. On the other hand, every single effort no matter how reasonable or small has been opposed by the GOP.

Explain that please.

19. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

On abortion....Roe is 40 years old now, so the arguments for both sides are well known. The pro choice side says that a woman should be able to do what she deems appropriate for her body. The pro life side says that the baby in there should be given every opportunity to live as well. Hard to find middle ground on those points, which is why it is still a hot button issue 4 decades later.

On voting rights.....once again.....there is no right to vote guaranteed by the Constitution. The Supreme Court has said as much. The states will always regulate voting privileges and voter ID is just another avenue of that.

I agree with you on guns, but I think the hesitation by the GOP (and a lot of red state Democrats for that matter) has more to do with the power of the gun lobby and the influence of money in politics. Not much is going to change with the former as long as the latter stays at the status quo. And that goes for a wide variety of issues.

20. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

Really? 15th Amendment. And I assume along with that is right of citizens to vote without being hindered by regulations designed to suppress votes from certain demographics.

21. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Which decision are you referring to?

22. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

The 15th amendment doesn't guarantee a right to vote. It just says that a state cannot withhold a right to vote based on those criteria. Unless a specific race is not being allowed to register for a voting ID it wouldn't apply.

----------

Bush v Gore

23. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

What is your point? Is it your position U.S.Citizens, (considering regulations to determine residency and disqualifiers such as being a felon), as a standard don't have a right to vote? I'd argue they do and much effort has been put into taking discrimination out of the equation.

Voting Rights in the U.S.

24. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Because if we only had a law that required private citizens to perform background checks before selling guns to each other, or maybe if we limited magazines to 10 rounds, none of this would have happened. Right?