New Orleans, LA (Lakeside Mall)

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by neworleans-7, Jun 18, 2010.

1. neworleans-7 macrumors regular

neworleans-7

I don't know what the policy is on being in the mall parking lot, but I plan on getting to the mall around 4:30-5am. I have the phone reserved but I had a couple problems with it so I'll just bring my email on my phone (and a copy of it) and wait in line :). Anybody else going to the Apple Store in Lakeside?

2. jimbonator macrumors newbie

I won't be there, but I'm thinking of going to the one in Slidell by the Northshore Mall. I preordered it, and it will probably come to my house, but I'd rather just go to the store and get it first thing.

I also pre-ordered one at Bestbuy for backup LOL. It's only a $50 deposit that they give you a gift card for and if you don't go get it because you don't need it, no harm no foul. :)

My goal was to pre-order it, have it shipped to the store, and go there first thing. But then they tell me they aren't shipping to the stores. humph.

3. DisneyEcho macrumors member

DisneyEcho

I'll be there early Thursday morning. I reserved it but I'm expecting it to be a zoo and I don't trust AT&T... they might mess things up again somehow.

4. neworleans-7 thread starter macrumors regular

neworleans-7

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; MB300 Build/CUPCAKE) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

My plan was to get my phone real early and then try to find another one in Slidell somehow lol. There's a very slim chance that I'll find on but its worth a shot. Worse case scenario I'll be getting up really early on the 25th to go to the Apple Store & try to pick up one from the ppl who didn't get their reserve in time.

My gf decided at the last minute that she wanted the iPhone so now I have to deal with it haha.

5. Twaites macrumors newbie

I'm down for meeting up at 4:30-5am. I reserved mine, and hope to have it before class starts at 9!

Question is how will they open at 7 if the mall doesn't open till later... They gonna do it special for the Apple store?

6. neworleans-7 thread starter macrumors regular

neworleans-7

I don't know how they're going to do it, but I've been to the Halo 3 midnight release at the Babbages in Lakeside & I guess the mall opened at a certain time and they allowed people to wait in there until midnight rolled around.

7. Twaites macrumors newbie

Makes enough sense. Can't wait for the 24th!!!

8. ls1z28chris macrumors newbie

Malls generally open their doors early even though the stores do not open until later. I worked at a mall in Macon, Georgia several years ago. The blue hairs walk their laps for hours before the first store opens their door. A year ago when Snow Leopard came out I did the same thing at Perimeter Mall outside of Atlanta. Blue hairs were walking their laps while a few of us waited outside of the Apple store.

I reserved my phone online and got the confirmation email. Since it says my phone will be waiting on me, I haven't really made plans to get up early and wait for the store to open. I'm kind of worried, though, since this is the only Apple store in the whole of New Orleans and I've never been there before. I may just have to set the alarm and drive on over from the Westbank.

So where y'all going to park and meet up at 5:00 am? Like I said, I've never been there before. I'm in from Atlanta visiting family for a few weeks.

9. DisneyEcho macrumors member

DisneyEcho

When I asked at the Apple Store I was told the mall will open at 7 am, just like the Apple Store. Only store employees can get in before 7. Apple will have stantions set up outside their store for the lines.

10. DisneyEcho macrumors member

DisneyEcho

And if Lakeside doesn't open its doors before 7 am that day, it's going to be like rope-drop at Disney theme parks but with everyone making a mad dash to the Apple Store!

11. DisneyEcho macrumors member

DisneyEcho

At the Valley Fair Mall in Santa Clara, California, Steve Wozniak is expected to show up to buy an Apple 4. I wonder which New Orleans celebrities we might see Thursday morning at Lakeside Mall's Apple Store! Who would you like to see there?

12. disRUPtors macrumors member

disRUPtors

I ordered Smitty ( I always name my Iphones Smitty) through AT&T. I guess it's being shipped to my home. But I'm thinking about going to AT&T early to purchase a case and a headset. Does anyone know what time they will be open?

13. DisneyEcho macrumors member

DisneyEcho

All AT&T (corporate) Stores are opening at 7 am that day in each time zone, just like Apple Stores. Traditionally, the Apple Stores have more accessories than AT&T Stores.

14. ls1z28chris macrumors newbie

I think you need to recheck the status of your order to ensure nothing has changed. There is a thread in the iPhone News section of this forum where a lot of people are complaining about cancelled pre-orders from AT&T and Apple. These are for the phones being shipped and planned to arrive via FedEx on the 24th.

Me, I checked the confirmation email I received from Apple about this in store reservation. They call it a reservation, tell me my phone will be there on the 24th, and warn me that if I don't come by before close of business on the 24th they will cancel my reservation, but there is fine print at the bottom of the email saying that the "reservation" is no guarantee that there will be enough in stock and that they are sold first-come-first-serve.

In other words, it looks like I'm camping out with you folks after all in the wee hours of Thursday morning.

15. SamPhoto macrumors member

I have one reserved, too. I'm not sure it's necessary to get there so early. I know the lines will be long, but with a reservation I'm thinking of getting there sometime in the afternoon. That'll allow the store 5 or 6 hrs to process a lot of the early birds, then maybe it won't be so long when I arrive. What do y'all think?

16. ls1z28chris macrumors newbie

I thought the same thing until I saw the fine print in my confirmation email. It says there is no guarantee and that they will be sold first-come first-serve. When this Italy v. New Zealand match is over I plan on giving this Apple Store a call to get the straight dope.

17. SamPhoto macrumors member

From what I've read, a reservation pretty much guarantees a phone. Of course there are always unexpected exceptions like shipping delays, etc. I'm convinced that Apple will make sure there are enough phones to fill all the reserve orders first, then the walk-ins will get what's left.

I hope that someone in line can give updates via this forum. It'd be nice to know how it's going. I'm about an hour away in Covington.

18. ls1z28chris macrumors newbie

Well I just called the Lakeside Mall Apple Store looking for confirmation on this. The rep I spoke with said that if you received an email reservation, then you will have a phone held for you at the store. There may be a line of many other people looking to pick up their reserved phones, but yours will be there on Thursday so long as the reservation was confirmed. He said that the disclaimer at the bottom of the email is only there to protect them in case something happens to the shipment and phones are either destroyed in transit or never arrive.

You can see below the disclaimer that was making me nervous:
    [​IMG]

That phone call put my mind at ease, so I won't be showing up at 4:00 am to wait in line. I'll probably show up later in the morning.

19. cbowjones macrumors newbie

I work offshore and was not able to reserve an iphone. Do you guys think there is any chance i can show up and gert one if im early enough? Any help would be appreciated!

20. SamPhoto macrumors member

Sure, but it depends on HOW early is early enough. If you're willing to do what it takes to get close to the front of the line, you'll surely get one. That might be getting there in the wee hours of the morning. Then again, what mall entrance would give you fastest access to the Apple store when they unlock the doors?

21. DisneyEcho macrumors member

DisneyEcho

And do all the entrances open at the same time, or does only one mall employee go to each door to open them?

Ah, but starting at what time?

22. DisneyEcho macrumors member

DisneyEcho

I just got off the phone with someone in the main office of Lakeside Shopping Center and she said the doors of the mall would be open that day at 6 or 6:30 am -- and 1infiniteNerd, you are correct -- she said the entrance by the food court would probably open first. See y'all there!

23. neworleans-7 thread starter macrumors regular

neworleans-7

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.610 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I'll be at the store at around 5am. I don't have class on Wednesday since I'm taking my Mid-Terms tomorrow so I'll have all day to sleep in on Wednesday so I won't be too tired when it's time to go to the mall.

I want to say this is my 1st time camping this early for a product but I went to the AT&T store on Clearview when the 3G was released at around 6:30am and there were easily over 100 people in line outside of the store. With that said, I think that the Apple Store will be about 5 times worse than that lol.

Oh & btw, the food court entrance you guys are talking about is the one by JC Penney right?

24. TheFatCityChamp macrumors newbie

I went to a midnight release for some video game there (can't remember which). They made us sign in on entering and sign out upon leaving.