New owner of Gold AWS, debating if I should return for SB SS for extra $200

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by vanimal, Jan 8, 2016.

1. vanimal, Jan 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016

vanimal macrumors 6502a

Here's the deal. I've been eying the AW for a while now. I originally had plans to wait for the AW2. But with the $100 off at Best Buy pushed me over combined with 6 months 0% on my Best Buy card, win. I grabbed one the other day for $299 which they had ONE 42mm gold sport in stock. But I'm debating if I should I exchange for a SB w/ black sport band for a extra $199 or $149 if grabbed a open box at my local BB. The gold is pretty nice but it's a little less subtle than what i thought it would be in person compared to pictures online.

I'm the type of person who:

-Wears all black a lot but looks for the extra "pop" to offset from jewlery via my watch or gold chain that I never take off. "Yes I'm Italian" :)

-But at the same time like the ability to dress it down via going to the gym as I'm there 5-6 days of week. This could be achieved with the black sport band it comes with space black SS.

I like the shiny look on the space black, but also like the ability and different band options you could put on the gold sport. Like red/black/ sport band or a 3rd party gold Milanese loop to really dress it up. If I didn't get the space black SS I could spent that extra $199/$149 on 3rd party bands.

So it boils down to. Keep the sport gold and get a black & a red 3rd party sport moko band. Along with a gold Milanese loop moko band for about $150. Or upgrade to the more premium space black and be happy with one band it comes with for a bit. I literally can't decide, sigh...

2. kcellup macrumors regular

kcellup

these are both the colors i am interested in so curious to see the answer

3. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

not a fan of flashy watches, so SS or SSB for me always.

cheers

4. vanimal, Jan 8, 2016

vanimal thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes tough choice. At this stage in the life cycle I wondering if putting up the extra $200 is worth it. Just incase they do something crazy for AW2. Which I can't see them other than maybe internal upgrades or perhaps slimmer profile. But I'm used to wearing large diving watches so I actually like larger watches.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 8, 2016 ---
    In person the sport gold is far less "flashy" than I thought, at least compared to online pictures. Honestly the space black because of how shiny it is may catch more eyes more than the gold AWS. Obviously putting a all gold Milanese loop on it will change that. Next to my 18k Invicta diving watches the Gold AWS almost looks silver toneish!

5. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

if you dig gold... i'd suggest getting an SS and gold plating it. have seen good results around.

the 'gold aluminum' is not my thing looks like an iphone in your arm not a watch.

6. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

So which one is it? Either way, this is a personal choice, and it's clear you want the space black and not the gold. So, get the space black. Why do you need our affirmation?

7. BradWould macrumors 6502

BradWould

The conundrum is that this is the first cycle. So nobody knows for sure what stage we are in.

8. applejosh macrumors newbie

applejosh

I have a SGS (recently purchased), but I am very tempted to get the Space Black Steel. However, like others have mentioned, I recognize this is a first gen product, so until I know more about the upgrade cycle as well as see what kind of upgrades the next version has, I decided to hold off in any upgrading.

9. cg006, Jan 8, 2016

cg006 macrumors regular

cg006

I would personally just wait it out until gen 2. If you waited this long to get one you may be able to hold off a bit longer. Apple has to release a gen 2 soon.

10. nicho macrumors 68020

why would you want to spend $150 on a band that could be had for about a quarter of the price?

11. vanimal thread starter macrumors 6502a

When i said $150 i meant 3 bands, two sports & a loop. As in a Moko gold loop for $80, and i believe the moko sport bands go for about twenty each. So roughly $150 with shipping.

I might have explained that wrong, sorry if i did.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 8, 2016 ---
    Just wanted some peoples thoughts on here. Good to hear from some opinions from people who actually had the watch or had the luxury of having both. All i have to ask is my GF and she isn't any help with this kind of stuff lol.

12. nicho macrumors 68020

where in the world are you?

13. OTACORB macrumors 65816

OTACORB

No way I am spending more money on a 1st gen AW. I actually prefer the non-flashy gold on the Sports version as I don't need my watch to pop and I am Italian too. I prefer to pop that money in my wallet. LOL To the poster that said the gold looks like an iPhone on your arm. REALLY!:rolleyes:

14. vanimal thread starter macrumors 6502a

My fault again haha. I confused the Milanese loop gold with the moko branded "link" band. Seems you can get the gold loop for only $35 in Amazon :).
    --- Post Merged, Jan 9, 2016 ---
    Good point! I think I'm going with the gold sport!
    --- Post Merged, Jan 9, 2016 ---
    Today is the last day for $100 off on the watches as well at Best Buy. Just received a email on that!

15. ultravisitor macrumors 6502a

ultravisitor

Exactly. This watch doesn't justify spending more than what the Sport version costs.

16. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

Go ahead and upgrade. I have the Space Black. Absolutely love this thing. The Space Black actually makes the bands pop more.

17. RAWandVITAL macrumors member

I purchased a space grey sport for christmas for 199 at best buy. 100 off sale and i had $100 worth of giftcards. It was damn nice but i returned it for a silver sport. I think silver goes with more outfits and just looking around online the silver goes with a lot more watch bands in my opinion. I'm wearing it now and i love it. In the process of getting some third party bands. I want to get a black leather strap and maybe a couple of other nice looking bands.

18. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

I think it depends on how fussy you are about scratches on your devices. If you don't mind a watch with the "lived-in" look that accumulates lots of scratches, just stick with the Sport.

I have a stainless steel watch and I've been able to polish out surface scratches on the body using silver polish. That, and the fact that the sapphire watch face is eternally scratch-free means my watch looks "like new" whenever I want it too.

So the extra $200 isn't just about bling. I knew I was going to stick with my watch for at least two years so I decided to get the SS because I know how my iPhone looks after one year.

19. DougFNJ macrumors 65816

DougFNJ

That's your opinion. I had the Space Gray and enjoyed it, was in the rotation with other watches in my collection. Then they released the Space Black on Sport Band and Best Buy sale came....I upgraded and the heavier weight of SS, Sapphire, Ceramic back, the materials definitely feel more quality. It rarely comes off the wrist except to charge at night.

20. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

Mine doesn't even come off my wrist at night, because I'm starting to use it for this sleep tracking stuff. People who aren't into style at all don't acknowledge that aspect of the watch.

21. nicho, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016

nicho macrumors 68020

watch os 2.2 will allow you to pair multiple watches. it should be along in the next month or so...

just wait til payday and get the SB as well ;) have both. life's too short.

22. OTACORB macrumors 65816

OTACORB

I've had mine for awhile and I don't have any scratches and while I don't live a rugged life, I am not real protective of the watch either. So, I don't buy that these watches will just automatically become all scratched up. In fact based on my experience I'd have to call BS.

For anyone buying during the holiday season, it made ZERO sense to spend more money than the sport model, especially if you know you are likely going to upgrade. YES this is my opinion and common sense. No one keeps the first generation product for very long and I'd prefer that money in my bank account rather than Apples. To me that just isn't be wise with your funds. I don't look at my watch and say oh it has a ceramic back and the casing is stainless still. No, I just wear the darn thing. These watches will continue being updated, unlike mechanical watches that generally keep time and may present the day and date. So in my book the comparison to a mechanical watch that wouldn't have to be upgraded and could be used for many years makes no sense. Until the Apple watch is refined enough that it is something I'd hold on to for a two or 3 years, Apple will get as little money from me as possible. By the way it isn't that I can't afford it, I just believe financial sense should prevail over being concerned about the materials.

There has been several threads on both the sport and watch models and while it is true that the sport has more of a tendency to scratch, the threads I've seen also appear to show that both hold up remarkable well for the short period that most will own them.

23. nicho macrumors 68020

"I'm not going to buy a new Burberry coat, they'll only come out with a new one next winter. I'll just go to Primark, or get one from the supermarket" - said nobody ever.

I get that you don't care about the fashion element, but some people do. And financial sense means little, in that area... you should probably rein in that comment about "For anyone buying during the holiday season" and bring it a lot closer to home :)

Also there's no guarantees of watch 2 coming anytime soon.

24. OTACORB, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016

OTACORB macrumors 65816

OTACORB

I only added the holiday season because many that came the thread had actually gotten one during the holiday season. However, for me personally it wouldn't have matter if it just came out. A first generation and spending more money unnecessarily just isn't wise. You may want to rationalize and justify giving your money to Apple and that is okay.

Also you are really comparing a coat to and electronic watch that will continuously to be upgraded in functionality and usefulness. I mean what in a coat is going to be upgraded that I'd want to continue to ditch the one I have a buy a new one. Your comparison makes little sense. It would make sense to buy a higher quality coat, which you would likely wear for a few winters. It does not make sense to do so with this first gen watch. Look bottom line is you are free to give your money to Apple for more expensive model. Clearly some of us won't.

Apple will drop a second gen and it doesn't matter when because most will likely want to upgrade because of the shortcomings of this version and the likely big improvements in the next version. Apple generally learns pretty quickly on new products like this. The $300 I saved on the 1st gen will damn near pay for the next version I buy. Apple is also pretty consistent on when they drop updates on devices. While no one knows for sure, it is highly likely we are going to see a second gen in March. I'd bet your pay check on it! LOL

25. nicho macrumors 68020

apple watch 2 will come. but you have missed my point entirely.

apple watch is not guaranteed to come in march, perhaps it will be june and perhaps later (the special editions for chinese new year, and the fact it's *just* started selling in some countries, make it doubtful apple will have watch 2 for sale a month afterwards).

what is guaranteed to come is a new winter coat design or something from any major fashion brand. every year, sometime around autumn. they won't sell last year's design, it'll be something new even if only changed a little. but you can guarantee, there'll be a new one.

speaking of fashion, apple watch is something you wear. like i said, you clearly don't care how it looks on you. perhaps the sport suits your lifestyle best, perhaps it looks terrible - but you don't care so that's irrelevant.

my point is this, hence the coat analogy; why is it good sense for someone to spend money on something they aren't entirely happy with, waiting for something better to come along in the future, an indefinite time away? the kind of person who says "i'll buy a sport now, and save up for a SS apple watch 2" i don't quite understand. if you want the stainless steel one, why buy a sport you might be stuck with for 12 months? "sport all the way" makes much more sense as a mantra.

you may have been onto something with the holiday season thing though. i guess it doesn't matter what a watch looks like under a jumper and winter coat ;)