New pain pill's approval: 'Genuinely frightening'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Wild-Bill, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Wild-Bill, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014

Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

This little gem is considered "Schedule III". Marijuana is considered "Schedule I". :rolleyes:

Schedule III: " drugs with a moderate to low potential for physical and psychological dependence. Schedule III drugs abuse potential is less than Schedule I and Schedule II drugs but more than Schedule IV"

Schedule II: "drugs with a high potential for abuse, less abuse potential than Schedule I drugs, with use potentially leading to severe psychological or physical dependence. These drugs are also considered dangerous"

Schedule I: "drugs with no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse. Schedule I drugs are the most dangerous drugs of all the drug schedules with potentially severe psychological or physical dependence" (heroin, LSD, marijuana, peyote, ecstasy)

Link

Prescription opiates: 16,651
    Marijuana : 0

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

It's harder to get weed from my connects nowadays. All the dealers are focused on prescription and MDMA type of drugs which I don't want any part of.

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

My mother is dying of cancer and pain pills like these are essential as they allow her to function semi-normally until she reaches the point where she has to start taking morphine.

At the same time, hard core pain killers have destroyed countless lives. Marijuana has as well. Regulation is important but must be reasonable.

4. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I completely agree w/ Ugg (and very sorry about his mother's siutation). I must add though, from my own experience, that there are still too many feel-good doctors out there treating people in more or less good general health who really just have minor pain over some transient situaiton.

About four years ago I was driving up from NYC on a summer evening and got a cinder or something in my eye. I had to stop at a hospital and get emergency treatment for a mildly abraded cornea. The doctor asked me to rate my pain on a scale of 1 to 10 afer the particle had been removed. I said it was a little hard to tell because the eye was still irritated but I figured about a 4, and added "in other words, it doesn't really hurt much." Imagine my surprise then when picking up my discharge papers a few minutes later to find that not only had the doctor prescribed an antibiotic (which he had explained he would do) but some Vicodan. I was angry. I would not even have taken a Motrin for how my eye felt at that point. Wow. So I asked to see him again and said I was appalled that he would prescribe a drug like that for someone who had said their pain level was only a 4 out of 10. He shrugged and said "So don't take it. It's what we usually give for situations like this."

I mentioned the experience to a family member who directs a substance abuse prevention and counseling agency. He said yeah, we still run into this too often. His agency and the umbrella group under which it operates try to hold periodic awareness seminars for physicans and physician's assistants. I guess that's about all they can do. Meanwhile it seems like the stuff is out there on the street like so much Halloween candy.

5. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I used to have a doctor who acted as if steroids were a cure all. Sore throat, here's some steroids. Sinus problems, steroids. Damn near every treatment was steroids. I will admit, steroids was a great and super quick relief, but it didn't solve anything. Ended up getting a much better doctor.

6. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Thirty years ago you you just about had to be dying from the pain itself in order to get anything beyond aspirin. Then, lots of articles started to appear explaining how paranoia about drugs is preventing people from getting the pain relief they need. Now, the pendulum has swung far in the other direction, where half of people with lower back pain (everybody over 40) are taking Vicodin and so on. Good for the pharmacy industry, but, not necessarily for the public or the patient.

One thing that these two extremes have in common is that there are other approaches to pain relief, such as physical therapy and related exercise programs, that are underused for some reason.

7. samiwas macrumors 65816

Put some 'tussin on it!

8. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Marijuana doesn't destroy lives. The criminal charges people get hit with for possessing/selling it are what destroy lives.

9. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

And the numbers are disturbing.

http://www.drugwarfacts.org/cms/Crime#Total

[​IMG]

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Last time I bothered to look at the numbers, several years ago, deaths which were related to the bad-health effects of alcohol and tobacco ran about 700,000 per year. Deaths related to health effects of illegal drugs were said to be around 30,000.

Back in the 1960s, "over-prescription" of tranquilizers was the bugaboo: "Tranquil, tranquil, full of peace and Equanil." Folks discovered what might be called the joys of stress: Solve it with happy pills.