Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alte22a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2003
back in London
Kinda odd looking at apples site the G4 PBs have a higher clock speed that the desktop G4s. I thought there some problems producing G4 1.4 chips. Seems not if they are in the PBs, any thoughts?

Alte22a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2003
back in London
stoid,

its very quiet on a saturday evening ahould be out no? Yeah was aware that G4 1.4 desktop came out, then as soon as the G5 were released they stop and gave you only 1.25 options. I guess Laptops and Desktop are slightly different. And supoose apple had surplus 1.25 chips in stock...

stoid

macrumors 601
Alte22a said:
stoid,

its very quiet on a saturday evening ahould be out no? Yeah was aware that G4 1.4 desktop came out, then as soon as the G5 were released they stop and gave you only 1.25 options. I guess Laptops and Desktop are slightly different. And supoose apple had surplus 1.25 chips in stock...

I'm across the pond my friend, it's a nasty rainy cold afternoon here. :(

Anyway, as long as the computers keep getting faster, I'm not going to bother Apple over where they found the chips :D

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Alte22a said:
Kinda odd looking at apples site the G4 PBs have a higher clock speed that the desktop G4s.

Not so odd really, given that Apple has ceased development of G4 desktops in favor of the G5 models.

Chris

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
chabig said:
Not so odd really, given that Apple has ceased development of G4 desktops in favor of the G5 models.

Chris

I guess the iMac and eMac aren't desktops?

Crikey

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2004
Spencer's Butte, Oregon
Yes, the new PowerBooks are based on a new revision of the G4 chip that can out-clock the old ones. The PowerBooks get it, since the G5 PowerBook is still "a ways off". The desktops may or may not get it. My speculation is that the eMac just got refreshed to use the last of the old G4 chips, and that Apple is working on replacing the iMac with a G5 model and won't bother with putting the newest G4 variant in it unless the G5 upgrade project hits snags and will be delayed.

I suspect that Apple would like to sell desktops that at least match, maybe beat their portables, so they are working overtime to sort out issues and proceed with including the G5 across the line.

Crikey

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.