New penryn MBP, used power cord, battery cycle =1 out of box. Normal or wrong?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by biggreenapple, Nov 19, 2008.

1. biggreenapple macrumors newbie

after returning 2 unibody MBP, I ordered a penryn with a huge discount, and it arrived today.

Open the box I found that the wrapping of the power adaptor and power cord are less 'strict' than normal. the adaptor looks new, but the power cord is definitely used... I checked the machine there is no evidence that it has been used. Start machine and installed iStat Pro, it says bettery cycles is 1 (should it be zero or 1 the first time used?) There do have a typical smell of new apple laptop.

So is load cycle 1 correct for new computer? they should have charged it before shipping... but the used power cord annoyed me. Anyone experienced the same?

Otherwise I am very happy with the machine, matte screen, nicer keyboard, almost no leakage of keyboard backlit, lighter and smaller, and all the ports are there...

There is always something...:(

2. biggreenapple thread starter macrumors newbie

just add: iStat Pro says the battery health is 99%. the other 2 unibody all have 100%. Is it because this penryn has been stored for quite some months?

3. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

The battery health thing means nothing. Due to normal variances, batteries can actually be above 100% or below it right out of the box. 100% is dictated by the programmed capacity (ie. it's supposed to be a 5600mAh battery - it's very rare the battery is exactly 5600 mAh at full charge). This is why there are so many reports of batteries at 100% and they actually stay at 100% after many charges - it _really_ is decreasing in life. How? A battery may literally be say 105% right out of the factory, but it won't report anything above 100%. There actually is a microchip inside that reports this info. When you use something like coconut or istat it reveals this if you look at the mAh ratings.

Did the machine come in a sealed packet (it's a got a texture like a dryer sheet). If so, it's definitely brand new.

4. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

The battery has probably been cycled once or twice during QC testing and the initial charge up. The lost health MIGHT be from sitting around all this time. Was the Pennryn factory sealed when you got it? How old was it? Fire up Coconut Battery, see what it says for age and max capacity.

5. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

The power cord is a minor issue and Apple would most likely replace it if you pushed them. My Unibody MBP came with a partially charged battery and it showed 2 cycles on it. As long as it is calibrated, shows a proper amperage and initial life I would be very happy.

6. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

they're not supposed to come fully charged out of the box. They can either have a charge or be dead until you open it and charge it.

7. biggreenapple thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the explanation!
    yes it came with a packet, which is sealed by a paper says 'Important, please read...before use...'. it is the same packet as old MB. Now they wrap unibody MBP with plastic.

so, they just put in some old cord with this new machine..

8. biggreenapple thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks you all, so there is nothing wrong with the battery, and the machine is sealed, with the 'dryer sheet' like packet and a license agreement sticker on it, and the cord is a minor thing, so I guess everything is back to perfect :rolleyes:

9. Kaupa macrumors regular

Should it really be 5600? I thought 5500 is normal for the claimed capacity. Mine had 5450 from the beginning...

10. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

I've seen reports of both 5500 and 5600, likely from different manufacturers... mine is 5500 as well.