New Pentagon Weapon - Is It Torture?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MACDRIVE, Aug 30, 2007.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

The Fresno Bee

OUCH!

2. Aranince macrumors 65816

3. A Pittarelli macrumors 6502

the new pentagon weapon should be a son of george w who will also be illegally elected president, that will do more damage than and single bomb or can of bees

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its better then Nukes, or being blown to bits but it also a sign of federal govt out or control, out of touch and on its own course. Its time the people take notice of whats happening to America or rather the Homeland whatever the heck that means. Lets face it our federal govt is a freaking mess.

5. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Yay, yet another useless weapon courtesy of an over-inflated military industrial complex that will never see combat! :rolleyes:

6. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

No skin cancer? hahah

Who were they testing these beams on? Who steps up and says "hit me with a laser beam".

7. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Might not see direct military use, maybe, but it will likely be used for crowd control by police--whether here or by MP-types at an Iraqi mob scene. Or if not used by us, it will likely be used by European countries in crowd control efforts such as at the Islamic riots in France.

That truckdriver, Denny, probably would have appreciated its use during the Rodney King riots. Same for a lot of storekeepers...

'Rat

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Wow, I hope they never use it to Torture anyone.

Of course if current treads continue, I'd expect it to be used soon.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

it might be like the new speed drugs..the new craze??

"hey lets get lazered 2nite"

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm guessing the same idiots who volunteer to be tazered? Or maybe they hire a few of the millions of Johnny Knoxville and Steve-o wannabees

11. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Magnify the power an order or magnatude or so and then we'll have something. Maybe they can name it the Bushmaster to honor our President.

12. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I think I'd rather take my chances of getting shot at rather than endure a weapon like that. I'd also be worried about the enemy getting their hands on one.

13. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Pain doesn't really matter. What matters is the cost of development, and that it will probably be sold by tens of thousands :(

The US are already the most armed country, at all levels. Does anybody really think that another new weapon is gonna change something? :rolleyes:

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Then it would be deadly. Which would kinda defeat the purpose. Not surprised you'd like such a thing. Jesus would be proud.

Something that causes intense pain? Yeah, I could see where that would be fitting. He has that effect on people already.

As for the device itself, I've seen it in action. It's better than a bullet, I suppose, but as an interrogation device, it could definitely be considered torture. It makes you feel like you've been lit on fire. From the inside. It's already a hundred times worse than a tazer, and though they say it causes no long term damage, more testing should be required before it's used, if they even do wind up using it in real world application. Right now, it's actually quite expensive.

If it's safe, and winds up saving lives though, I guess it's still better than the alternative.

15. Desertrat macrumors newbie

It strikes me as foolish to relate this device or its use to Bush. This device is just another among many ideas, decade after decade, as to how to control unruly crowds. Unruly crowds are anathema to government. Governments don't like people to say, "No, I won't."

One idea was a gas which can cause one's blood pressure to drop. Low blood pressure, and you'd rather sit down or lie down than riot.

Another was a a liquid which when sprayed out over a street would reduce friction to near zero. Hard to walk, run or fight on a frictionless surface.

And of course the Taser and the Beanbag shotgun projectile and teargas...

But "torture"? Why? Physical torture generally only gets the victim to tell what he thinks the torturer WANTS to hear. Whole lotta lyin' goin' on. The medically-inclined types can inject any of several forms of happy-juice which when coupled with hypnosis-style questioning can get truthful answers.

'Rat

16. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I thought the method used in "Up in Smoke" was the most creative. Create a van out of compressed weed, pull it next to the crowd, light it up and let the smoke mellow everyone out.

17. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I think this is a great device. I agree that more testing should be done to ensure it is "safe" but any non-lethal weapon that keeps the enemy from resisting is a good thing. I am completely against any form of torture, but torture only occurs once the enemy is no longer a threat to our operations. Our forces need to have the tools available to neutralize the enemy and if they can do that without killing the enemy, all the better.

18. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I see it as a good weapon.

It's safer than guns.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Can we name it after you instead? You cause me intense pain. :)

20. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Wait...Swarmlord causes you pain? Hmm...Is it a burning sensation?

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No- it's more of a general sense of melancholy and malaise. :)

22. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

This is just one of many new technologies that have been developed over the years (or are close to it). There is a crowd control device which uses high-pitched sound waves. It completely disorients the victim. Another device is a canon which omits something like silly string. It covers and even pins the victim to the surface. Find something harmful to the human being, the military will try to make a weapon out of it.

This is an on-going effort and really cannot be laid at the feet of any particular President. I wonder if anyone else notices the paradox in this story. The US Marines have a reputation of "First to Fight", "Gung Ho", etc. Yet, they are the ones pushing for non-lethal means of accomplishing their mission and protecting non-combatants. The same thing happened in Vietnam. The Marine General staff advised Johnson, the only way to win the war was to befriend the people and ultimately let them decide. Westmoreland saw little glory in that and promised an easy military-style victory. Like they say, "The rest is history".