New Phone, New Carrier, New Number Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Toddster66, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Toddster66 macrumors newbie

I purchased a Verizon iPhone 4 to replace my Sprint iPhone 4. Verizon doesn't offer service in this area (we roam) so I was unable to port my number over. I need to transfer my contacts, settings, etc. from the Sprint phone to the Verizon one.

I'm sure this is where I went wrong. The new phone was activated, but the only way I knew to transfer the settings was to erase everything and reset the phone and restore it from a previous backup. The new phone thought it was the old phone, number and all, and wouldn't work.

The phone has been reset again and is ready to go. Before I step in it again, how do you transfer everything from the iCloud without making that same mistake again?

2. hawk1410 macrumors 6502

I believe you can choose to just restore the data and not the settings from the backup

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

hmm. I wonder if you set it up as new, but then log into your icloud account and turn certain features on, like contacts, if it will work. It is probably giving you that error b.c it wants to backup the text messages and phone history.

4. Toddster66 thread starter macrumors newbie

No dice

No luck with either suggestion. I tried it again and it restored it to the Sprint phone. There's no option to restore the data only. The big issue is getting the contacts and the pictures from the old Sprint phone to the new Verizon one.

If I can get that much, I'll be happy.

5. BishamonX macrumors member

Setting it up as a new phone should work. Don't restore it. Once the phone is set up as new add your existing icloud account to pull down contacts, pictures, etc. A single iCloud account is capable syncing to multiple devices.