New plan and now getting divorced??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elykoj, Sep 6, 2012.

1. elykoj macrumors regular

I just recently got a new phone and i am on a share plan with my wife, just learned recently we are seperating and possibly getting divorced. How would Verizon seperate this plan? would we have to pay termination fees to split the account??:confused:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You'll be better off calling them seeing how to change from a family plan to a single plan. You'll not need to cancel, just change plans.

3. saberahul macrumors 68040

I hope the new phone wasn't the cause for it.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I was on a single plan, then a family plan, and swapped to single leaving the second line on the same account but it wasn't considered a shared plan (if that made sense). Then the second line went away and all I had to do was call. That was on AT&T. However, now on Verizon, they seem to let me screw around with plans frequently. The bigger issue could be whether you bought a subsidized phone or not on each number. They may want to try and swindle you out of an early term.

The biggest question is do both you and your wife want to keep your phone on Verizon today? If so, they should be able to split the plan & the bill but I believe they will want to run the credit of whomever is showing as #2 on the account if they were anything like AT&T.

Side note: I am sorry to hear about your troubles. That is never an easy road to travel down.

5. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

When my husband left, he just called AT&T and split the lines and got his own plan. We had 4 lines (us and our Moms). He split his and his Moms lines from mine and my Mom and even added a 3rd line (Hmmm, wonder who that was for :rolleyes: )..Anyway, I don't think it affects the contract since you aren't canceling. You're just changing your plan.

6. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Trylka, what a dog! But I hope you are better off without the scoundrel!

OP, just go into a VZN store and ask to do a change of responsibility on a line. If you're not the account holder, have them call CS first to authorize you (or just go in to the store with them). You will just agree to the remainder of the contract.

But I'll tell you, you pay the absolute highest price per line being on a smartphone single plan ($90/line+tax)... don't you have some trusted friends you could go in on one with?