New Playbook Demo -- QNX Looks Nice (but incomplete)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BC2009, Dec 9, 2010.

?

What best describes you?

1. I develop iPad apps and would develop a Playbook version for a free Playbook.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I develop iPad apps and would not bother porting to Playbook.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I don't develop iPad apps, but I may purchase a Playbook.

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. I don't develop iPad apps and would not purchase a playbook.

8 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. BC2009 macrumors 68000

BC2009

Anybody see the latest BGR Playbook demo video?

QNX is looking like a very nice OS -- combining many elements we saw in WebOS with those we see in iOS with some new twists as well. The only problem I see with this demo is that the software looks very incomplete for something to release in Q1 of next year. I did not even see a simple "Notepad" app for testing the on-screen keyboard, and there was much talk of "yeah it will do that" without demonstrating it -- the person doing the demo seemed to want to keep things limited to the certain apps he knew worked.

But if you combine this demo with what we saw of Playbook web browsing a while back it makes for a nice device -- especially if the integration with linking your Blackberry is seamless for email, chat, contacts, and calendar.

The only thing missing is a strong base of software and any mention of battery life (which in the 7-inch size can't be great) -- two very important things.

RIM is giving away a free Playbook to developers if their app gets approved. That's one way to try to increase the number of apps, but iPad devolpers already own an iPad and may not care to have yet another tablet. Developers care about selling to a potential market -- how big will the Playbook market be? Will you want to go first and be first on the scene or not bother with investing in Playbook development until it is proven?

I think that technologically the hardware and OS show promise, I don't know if RIM will succeed with this -- they are certainly laying down their cards early to drum up interest, but they are showing their entire hand to Steve Jobs as well.

2. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

To be fair, anyone demo'ing a product is not going to say, yes, it's incomplete in places, let me show you the parts of the system that are not running very well yet.

You would of course show them the best bits of what you have running so far.

Smooth video playback, the whole User Interface are going to be the things to get right and to work on, I don't think knocking up a text editor, for example os going to strain the developers.

They may well have writers at different stages of completion, who's work will be added in as it becomes ready.

I agree it is looking very nice and unless something massive comes along that we don't yet know about I can see this selling very very well.

All the specs are right there in place. We are looking at iPad2 type specs in general.

Or course the screen size is the biggest issue, though they have hinted at a larger screen in the future.

As you say, Apple has no excuse, having seen this, and it's specs, to in anyway, underspec their iPad2 when compared to the playbook.

3. PhoneI macrumors 65816

I'm assuming my company would require a BES to use one of these for email. If thats the case....no thanks.

4. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

*shrugs* Is there a reason I should get one of these instead of an iPad? No. And as long as there isn't, the iPad is consistently going to sell more.

And I'm tired of everyone jumping on the train to copy Apple. Can we not all come up with our own, ORIGINAL ideas? I was at Costco today and saw a Galaxy Tab, and my friend asked me when Costco had started selling iPads. That's just sad, Samsung, it really is. Same goes for RIM.

[​IMG]

VS

[​IMG]

Seriously?

5. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

Also, if I remember correctly, Apple has a patent for touch sensitive bezel. Why does this not apply here? Can anyone explain to me?