New Poll Reveals Many Americans Express Doubt Over Global Warming, Evolution, Big Ban

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Can we get a political breakdown of these survey participants. I think we all know what the findings would be.
That is a good question, and I'm trying my best to find any information. If somebody finds it before I do, please share.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
Here's something. Seems that many Republicans stopped believing in evolution after President Obama was elected. This tells you that the angrier they are, the more they deny science.
Interesting wording on that graph: "existed in present form since the beginning"

If we are as we've always been, then we havn't changed
If we havn't changed, then we aren't changing
If we aren't changing, then we wont change

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I'll repeat myself. Ignorance, and the celebration of it, are killing the US.

decafjava

macrumors 68040
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
*Sigh* You know, besides atheists this probably isn't even an issue for Buddhists, Hindus or even many Christians (read some of the Church Fathers who wrote what is already in the bible - namely one day to God is like a 1000 years - YEC would have seemed daft).

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
*Sigh* You know, besides atheists this probably isn't even an issue for Buddhists, Hindus or even many Christians (read some of the Church Fathers who wrote what is already in the bible - namely one day to God is like a 1000 years - YEC would have seemed daft).
I guess punctuality wasn't god's strong suit.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
So, God created the world, completely from scratch, in six days 6,000 years, you're saying?

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
I don't get the need to inject supernatural elements into things. So far everything we've attributed to the supernatural in the past has proven to be anything but.

We have a whole stack of really good evidence for the Big Bang and zero for anything else. Why do people continue to cling to faith when they're wrong?

What's more important? Having faith or knowing the truth?

I vote truth, every time.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'll repeat myself. Ignorance, and the celebration of it, are killing the US.
I believe as a society Americans are devolving.

I don't get the need to inject supernatural elements into things. So far everything we've attributed to the supernatural in the past has proven to be anything but.

We have a whole stack of really good evidence for the Big Bang and zero for anything else. Why do people continue to cling to faith when they're wrong?

What's more important? Having faith or knowing the truth?

I vote truth, every time.
"YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!" ;)

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
I believe as a society Americans are devolving.
I wouldn't go that far. If you compare these numbers to the 1980's, for example, you would probably think we've rapidly evolved since then. Funny part is these people who deny evolution and climate change because it might have a negative effect on their lives are the same crowd who believe the "end days" are here. Pretty ironic for such skeptical people.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I wouldn't go that far. If you compare these numbers to the 1980's, for example, you would probably think we've rapidly evolved since then. Funny part is these people who deny evolution and climate change because it might have a negative effect on their lives are the same crowd who believe the "end days" are here. Pretty ironic for such skeptical people.
Ok, some segment of society is devolving, the ones who don't want to take responsibility for their actions and are more comfortable with their faith than scientific evidence. :)

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
Ok, some segment of society is devolving, the ones who don't want to take responsibility for their actions and are more comfortable with their faith than scientific evidence. :)
So...Republicans? Yes, they've gotten worse since the evangelical movement hijacked their party in the 80's.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Here's something. Seems that many Republicans stopped believing in evolution after President Obama was elected. This tells you that the angrier they are, the more they deny science.
That's kind of a stretch that it has to do with Obama being elected. You could choose any event in that time period and attribute it to that.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
That's kind of a stretch that it has to do with Obama being elected. You could choose any event in that time period and attribute it to that.
Perhaps there's no correlation, and I have no evidence to show there is, but it's a HUGE coincidence. As someone in another thread said, maybe there's no proven causation but it's a lot of correlation.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Perhaps there's no correlation, and I have no evidence to show there is, but it's a HUGE coincidence. As someone in another thread said, maybe there's no proven causation but it's a lot of correlation.
But you can correlate any number of things to the change... "Obama is president so I'm gonna stop believing in evolution" seems far fetched. Your assertion has no basis.

Edit: According to this article it sounds like the change is more because the Republican party has brought back more people that don't believe in evolution. Obama becoming president didn't discredit evolution. A democrat becoming president may have brought lazy republicans back into the party, thereby increasing the number of people in the party and thus increasing the amount that don't believe in evolution.

Last edited:

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
But you can correlate any number of things to the change... "Obama is president so I'm gonna stop believing in evolution" seems far fetched. Your assertion has no basis.
I don't know the logic behind their thinking. But it's really a huge drop in such a short span of time for one political party, it's hard not to link it to their feelings of a loss and national abandonment of their values. At least that's my view on it, but again, maybe I'm wrong. On the other hand, has anything really happened in the past few years that reaffirmed traditional biblical beliefs on a national scale? I can't recall anything.

----------

Edit: According to this article it sounds like the change is more because the Republican party has brought back more people that don't believe in evolution. Obama becoming president didn't discredit evolution. A democrat becoming president may have brought lazy republicans back into the party, thereby increasing the number of people in the party and thus increasing the amount that don't believe in evolution.
Ahh that makes sense. I have no problem being wrong.