New Poll Reveals Many Americans Express Doubt Over Global Warming, Evolution, Big Ban

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Michael Goff, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Well then, time to get religion out of the science classes.

3. iBlazed, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014

iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Can we get a political breakdown of these survey participants? I think we all know what the findings would be.

4. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Some areas are more devolved than others.

6. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G3

Michael Goff

That is a good question, and I'm trying my best to find any information. If somebody finds it before I do, please share.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

8. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Here's something. Seems that many Republicans stopped believing in evolution after President Obama was elected. This tells you that the angrier they are, the more they deny science.

Attached Files:

9. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Interesting wording on that graph: "existed in present form since the beginning"

If we are as we've always been, then we havn't changed
    If we havn't changed, then we aren't changing
    If we aren't changing, then we wont change

10. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'll repeat myself. Ignorance, and the celebration of it, are killing the US.

12. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

*Sigh* You know, besides atheists this probably isn't even an issue for Buddhists, Hindus or even many Christians (read some of the Church Fathers who wrote what is already in the bible - namely one day to God is like a 1000 years - YEC would have seemed daft).

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I guess punctuality wasn't god's strong suit.

14. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

So, God created the world, completely from scratch, in six days 6,000 years, you're saying?

15. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I don't get the need to inject supernatural elements into things. So far everything we've attributed to the supernatural in the past has proven to be anything but.

We have a whole stack of really good evidence for the Big Bang and zero for anything else. Why do people continue to cling to faith when they're wrong?

What's more important? Having faith or knowing the truth?

I vote truth, every time.

16. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

I believe as a society Americans are devolving.

"YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!" ;)

17. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I wouldn't go that far. If you compare these numbers to the 1980's, for example, you would probably think we've rapidly evolved since then. Funny part is these people who deny evolution and climate change because it might have a negative effect on their lives are the same crowd who believe the "end days" are here. Pretty ironic for such skeptical people.

18. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

Ok, some segment of society is devolving, the ones who don't want to take responsibility for their actions and are more comfortable with their faith than scientific evidence. :)

19. iMerik macrumors 6502

And time to replace science teachers who don't know the difference and can't teach accordingly.

20. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

So...Republicans? Yes, they've gotten worse since the evangelical movement hijacked their party in the 80's.

21. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

That's kind of a stretch that it has to do with Obama being elected. You could choose any event in that time period and attribute it to that.

22. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Agreed. The Creationism movement has also strengthened, but we can't attribute that to the Obama election.

23. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Perhaps there's no correlation, and I have no evidence to show there is, but it's a HUGE coincidence. As someone in another thread said, maybe there's no proven causation but it's a lot of correlation.

24. SilentPanda, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014

SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

But you can correlate any number of things to the change... "Obama is president so I'm gonna stop believing in evolution" seems far fetched. Your assertion has no basis.

Edit: According to this article it sounds like the change is more because the Republican party has brought back more people that don't believe in evolution. Obama becoming president didn't discredit evolution. A democrat becoming president may have brought lazy republicans back into the party, thereby increasing the number of people in the party and thus increasing the amount that don't believe in evolution.

25. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I don't know the logic behind their thinking. But it's really a huge drop in such a short span of time for one political party, it's hard not to link it to their feelings of a loss and national abandonment of their values. At least that's my view on it, but again, maybe I'm wrong. On the other hand, has anything really happened in the past few years that reaffirmed traditional biblical beliefs on a national scale? I can't recall anything.

----------

Ahh that makes sense. I have no problem being wrong.