New Pope and Religion of the Future

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Mac'nCheese, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013

Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

So I'm watching the cardinals line up on tv, swearing to keep what happens in conclave to stay in conclave. This way of picking a leader hasn't (at not by a long shot) changed in thousands of years. Do you think in another thousand years if our current religions are still around, stuff like this will still take place or will it be something completely different?

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

On one hand, I don't really care what a religion does to elect their leaders since I'm not a part of them. Unfortunately they have enough clout that their beliefs do have an effect on us. I don't know that changing their methods will fix that though so I don't really care about their super secret shenanigans.

3. jrswizzle, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2013

jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

You're talking about one religion in a sea of hundreds....not all are like Roman Catholicism.....

Personally I find my non-denominational church quite normal. The media loves to overplay everything.

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

According to my source on all things future (Star Trek), humans will evolve past the point of needing to believe in a supreme being.

If only.

5. zioxide, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013

zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Religion won't exist in the west in 1000 years.

As we keep learning more and more scientific fact that disproves any of the theories that religion tries to claim, people will stop believing in it.

It's already happening. Nowhere near as many young people believe in it as the older generations. When they die off in 20-30 years, there's a good chance we'll see religion decreasing in many places. In America, probably not in the bible belt, but in the Northeast and West coast, we'll definitely start seeing a decline. Most young people don't buy in to the brainwashing because the science that disproves it is just common sense to many of us now.

I mean, the hardcore christians still try to claim that the earth was created 6,000 years ago. But, just this week, scientists published their findings on another breakthrough in studying genetics, which pushed back Y-chromosomal Adam (the man that all living humans are descended from) back to 338,000 years ago. I just don't see how you can ignore things like this and still try to believe that the earth magically appeared 6,000 years ago.

6. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Lots of stuff is done in secret. Laws of the land are hashed out in private. National Security is handled out of the public eye too. What is wrong with the Catholic Church picking their leader in a similar manner?

And c'mon....no need to take a shot at how they are dressed. So they like a little pomp and circumstance. Big whoop. This lady thinks they look snazzy.

[​IMG]

7. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

I wish that were true, but it will still be here in 1000 years. Humans are humans, unfortunately.

8. obeygiant, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2013

obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Meanwhile check out the Prophecy of St. Malachy

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

MOD NOTE: I cleaned up the thread as much as I could to removed the needless bickering. The OP has been edited so any and all comments about its original contents are no longer relevant.

B

10. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

The answer to your question is no, religion (that is belief in a deity) will ALWAYS exist.

That is because there is something inside each of us (a soul) that searches for a higher power. Part of our humanity longs to know there is something outside of our own existence (especially when life sucks), but there is also a lot of evidence in nature and science. The complexity of life and our solar system could not have come about had an intelligent designer not have been present.

I do hope, however, that the useless bickering over minutia like the age of the earth or worthless dogma goes away in time. Ultimately Christianity is extremely simple - God's Son, Jesus, died to pay the price for every sin done and yet to be done so we wouldn't have to spend eternity in hell. As long as you believe that simple truth - and allow that truth to radically change the way you live (not a slave to your humanity), nothing else really matters.

Despite popular opinion: church attendance, a belief the earth is 6,000 years old and hating homosexuals are not requirements to be a Christian.....

But what would society be without stereotypes!

11. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I agree that humans will probably always be looking for a higher power. I'm just curious if people think our current religions will survive and if they do, will they change much? A friend of mine was just saying that Catholic religion is dying in this country because all the Catholic schools are shutting down. Without getting the kids into the traditions early, they may grow up Catholic but won't really BE Catholic. On the other hand, MSNBC reported that more and more Africans are coming to the church. Will they bring their own traditions into the church and will that Catholic church be virtually unrecognizable to a Catholic person today?

12. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

I would agree that "organized religion" (that being deeply rooted in traditions and such) are on the decline, yes.

The word "religion" though is so over-used and misused these days....to marry both this forum and the original purpose of the entire site, its almost like the word "innovation".....it can mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people.

I prefer the word "faith" to describe my "religious" beliefs, because ultimately my faith isn't based on anything I physically do - but that I believe a very specific truth. That "truth" is what lives on.

Any religion based on traditions/actions will ultimately die away. If the Catholic traditions (which have been around for a long long time) eventually change, that religion will cease to be called "catholicism". It is the tradition, in essence, that defines it.

13. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

For what it's worth, "stereotypes" have a root somewhere...

Even some of the things you have said on this board are stereotypical.

I don't believe in 100 years the Catholic Church will exist as it does today. They are nothing more than a criminal organization whose leaders are willing to do almost anything to maintain "their brand". As older generations die out, so will the Catholic Church unless it takes a trip into this century.

Younger generations have shown they won't tolerate what the Church has become. Studies have shown that a majority don't share the beliefs that the Church continues to expouse. Pomp and circumstance can only take you so far.

While I can see the benefit that organized religion provides for some, there are also many disadvantages. You can certainly be spiritual and have faith without showing up to a building and putting money in a basket. As we get smarter and learn more about the world, it's going to get harder and harder to brainwash people....Hopefully the generations to come show a lot more willingness to think for themselves.

14. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I also see that with other religions for other reasons. The Jewish religion is becoming way more liberal. The conservative movement is dying. The younger generation almost seems to be Jewish in name only. But that's from my view, where I live. For all I know, religion is thriving and growing three states over. (Although polls to show a decline in people who believe so maybe that answers that)

15. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

I whole-heatedly agree....there are those whom the sterotypes are based on and there are those who perpetuate/use them to an advantage.

I try to be neither :D

I agree generally with what you're saying.....in that Catholicism without the traditions and such would cease to be catholicism. But I disagree with characterizing organized religion as brainwashing....and question why you think that in the first place.

I also think organized religion does a ton of good for the world....I see a lot more good come from my church (helping the poor, homeless, etc) than from the government. Attending a church isn't mandatory, though fellowship with other believers (both to come together and tackle an issue like homelessness, which is bigger than any one individual and simply to challenge one another) is encouraged and good.

Honestly, I hope all the dogma and nonsense will eventually go away....it only serves to separate and alienate people from the truth.

16. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Black smoke

The first vote resulted in black smoke (no new pope).

17. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The should elect a new pope Hunger Games style..

18. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Parents forcing their young children to go to church, church school, CCD, etc and telling them if they don't believe and follow "god" and a 2000 year old book written to control people that they'll be eternally damned to hell isn't brainwashing?

19. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Depends on how you say it.....

I personally grew up in a Christian home and am not brainwashed. Studied biology in college and have come to my own conclusions about religion and the world in general. I have pretty different views on politics and such than my parents and siblings.

Good parents don't force beliefs on their children. They answer questions (based on their beliefs) and allow the children to come to their own conclusions.

Generally this leads to the child growing up Christian, forsaking those beliefs and rebelling as a teenager/in college and either finding God again later in life or not.....

My Dad grew up Catholic, went to Catholic School and what not.....later was into all kinds of stuff (lived in Woodstock), Buddhist, any religion and he tried it.....eventually when he was 38 he became a believer.....

The Bible says (and I tend to believe it) that those who seek will find. Which is why I feel no reason to try and bash people over the head with my beliefs....especially those who don't really WANT to have a discussion about things.....eventually, if someone is REALLY searching, they'll find what they are looking for.

I also don't see the Bible as a controlling book.....it's actually quite freeing, knowing you aren't a slave to your own human nature. Pastor at my church has preached some great sermons on the legalism of Christianity and how it's in direct confrontation with the Grace and Love of God....great stuff. "Dancing" vs. "Marching". His name is Pete Briscoe, church is Bent Tree Bible Fellowship....check out his podcasts.

Anyways....I'm not going to argue. This political and religious debates don't get anyone anywhere.....ultimately, each person has to ask the questions and figure it out for him/herself.

20. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I thought your ideology sounded a lot like mine...

...and now I understand why. It's the first (only, really) church I've ever visited - and there have been MANY - where I really felt a connection, like I was accepted rather than judged, where I was asked what I think rather than told what to think. Great place. :cool:

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Can't the same be said for parents who grow up as sports fans. Forcing their kids to take sides.:p I would argue that the religion of baseball is a much more damaging one than church.

22. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Or love of a political party...

23. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Ha! Awesome....my wife and I love it and Pete's a great guy.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think a lot of that is because the church is about as much of a moral authority as George Bush these days.

If they had a 21st century morality - which can certainly be supported by the Bible and other religious books with some re-interpretation - then I think they have a future.

25. iMikeT macrumors 68020

They're barely doing this? I thought this happened as soon as the old guy stepped down. Oh well, I really don't care who continues the mess the church is in.