Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacUser1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2001
New York, NY
After years of use, I think that my PowerBook finally died on me. Although I hope that it can be fixed, I wouldn't mind purchasing a new Mac. I am pretty sure that I'll need a PowerBook, either a 12" or a 15", whenever that may be. Price is not a problem. What would you reccommend? I would use the computer daily at school: Photoshop, iMovie, iDVD, Keynote, Word, Excel, Internet, Mail...

GigaWire

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2001
My 12" iBook stands as one of the best (if not the best) computer purchases I have made in my life. It is small, has a strong battery, and is very sturdy. what closed the deal for me though was the keyboard. I just never felt comfortable with the 12'' Powerbook's keyboard, whereas the iBook's keyboard is IMO the best laptop keyboard i have ever used.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I'd have to recommend the 15" of the 12" because of what you'll be using it for. With photoshop, idvd, and imovie, you'll be glad to have both the larger screen and the additional power that comes with the L3 cache and lots of RAM (more than the 640 the 12" can have).

Oh, and I know a guy who carries his PB 15" to all his classes, and it's not like the added weight is a problem.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i'd recommend the 15" over the 12" as well. i used to have a TiBook and i took that with me to college every day without a problem. it's not awkward or anything, in fact it's a good size, roughly the size of a A4 piece of paper.

also i haven't used the 12", but in using Photoshop and iMovie i guess that the L3 cache and 1GB RAM would be very helpful. go for the 15".

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Go for the 15" PowerBook. I just bought one, and they smoke. The video processor is excellent (Radeon 9000 with 64MB compared to the 12" with 32MB on an outdated processor). The screen is bigger, and it actually fits on your lap. THe 12" just doesnt quite sit on both legs easily, but the 15" is just perfect.

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
If you can afford it, go 15. I love my 12er but sure would like more screen relesate sometimes. Performace will be better with the 15, but the 12 is plenty fast. You can't lose here. :)

MacUser1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2001
New York, NY
15"

I feel that the screen will make the biggest difference. I've used my mother's 12" iBook and the screen isn't that much of a pain. However, I never used Photoshop and iMovie on the iBook. I'll stop by one of the Apple Stores in my area tomorrow to look at all of the models. I sure hope that a new 15" PowerBook comes out this summer or I might have to borrow my mom's iBook for a few months!

dennis88

macrumors member
May 13, 2003
Originally posted by übergeek
if it's for school get a 12" pb

How can you say that the cheaper plasticky keyboard on the ibook is better than the keyboard on the 12" pb that is knowned to be one of the best keyboards on a laptop ever?

You must have some weird hands..

I would absolutely go for a 12" powerbook if I were you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.