Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple posted developer notes for the new 15" PowerBook and 17" PowerBook on their Developer site.

The documents provide some detailed information on the hardware of the new PowerBooks.

There has been some debate about which processor is used in the new PowerBooks. With the increased L2 Cache (512k), it's clear that the computers use one of Motorola's newest processors: the 7447/7457. The only difference between these two processors is that the 7457 has the capability to support additional L3 Cache... which the PowerBooks do not incorporate at this time.

The documentation from Apple, however, links explicity to the MPC7457 information page at Motorola's site for further reference.

mgargan1

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Reston, VA
i don't think that losing the L3 cache is too too terrible, because L2 cache is much faster anyways. If you were to lose any performance, it shouldn't be too bad. Plus the .33GHz increase... these new powerbooks should be very quick. The problem with following these new updates is that it makes you wanna get rid of your current computer, and get one of the new ones. But I guess that's how computer companies want me to feel.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
yeah, the L2 cache is all good.

Just wanted to clarify, since there was a question.

arn

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Either way, there is no difference at all between the two from what I understand, right? Since the only difference between the two is the capability to support L3 cache.

Ti_Pousin

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
Canada
why

Why didn't they put L3 cache? no performance improvement, or cost effective not good enough???

edit: I know the L3 is 1/3 CPU speed and L2 at CPU speed, but both should be better.

agentmouthwash

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2003
That's good news..

Somebody on macnn.com who has the 15" powerbook already said it runs much cooler and quieter.

fabsgwu

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
Washington, DC
next update?

Hmm, so maybe the next update will bring in the missing L3 cache? Maybe with all of Moto's production problems, they decided to forego the extra complication of adding it now....

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: next update?

Originally posted by fabsgwu
Hmm, so maybe the next update will bring in the missing L3 cache? Maybe with all of Moto's production problems, they decided to forego the extra complication of adding it now....

The L3 has nothing to do with Motorola - as my understanding, it's outside the chip.

Beyond this, it's possible it could be added later by Apple -- but the return appears it would be minimal... due to the improvement size of the L2 cache.

arn

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
boy, won't it be nice when they get 1 MB L2 Cache...

L3 cache is pretty useless if you have real DDR RAM. i think the L2 is much more important.

Col127

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2003
any word about which chip is in the new 12"? it'd make sense for apple to use the same chip across the entire line, wouldn't it?

mmmbop

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2003
London
Re: next update?

Originally posted by fabsgwu
Hmm, so maybe the next update will bring in the missing L3 cache?

The next update brings in the G5, surely?

Sorry, is it too early to start G5 speculation again?

MacUser1

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2001
New York, NY
Re: Re: next update?

Originally posted by mmmbop

That would be nice, and good for Apple, too. But have you seen the heatsink on those G5's? I'd love to see PowerBook G5's, even though I don't need one, but it may take one more revision for Apple to put the G5 in the PowerBooks

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
Good golly, I love these new powerbooks. only thing is that the technology in them is suited for last June instead of a today release.

Hope the next version has a DVD+-RW Drive.

One note, the radeon 9600 graphics chip is the best one out now, i think even over best Nvidia.

they are pretty good for what they are though. I am happy enough i may order one. only thing is that these are pretty much the same machines they should have released months ago.

Bummer

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada

There hasn't been a PB rumour today, so I'm going to put that straight.

A good friend of mine who works for
Apple UK tells me that they've sorted out the G5 heating problems due to IBM using the revised smaller version of the processor.

They are able to run a PB to run at 2.5gig, the heat generated is the same as the old 15", so this is fine. These new PB are on course for March 2004 release.

Additionally, Apple have been working along with a Fuel Cell manufacter in secret and have gained leaps and bounds over competitors (read: intel) and they are only around 6 months away from production...

Tests so far == 10 hours battery life, running on the G5 PB. So, I can get from Toronto to London using one of these PB on one battery

:-D

agentmouthwash

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2003
I just ordered the 1.25 G4 15" Powerbook

I want to upgrade the RAM asap and the Apple store prices were too high. Does anybody know any websites that sells good ram cheap? I would most likely like to fill up the 2gb quota.

esheep2001

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Re: Re: Re: next update?

Originally posted by Stella
They are able to run a PB to run at 2.5gig... March 2004 release... with a Fuel Cell manufacter in secret... Tests so far == 10 hours battery life, running on the G5 PB.

Hmm, I've heard similar. I heard simultaneous 3GHz roll out of power mac and books, July 2004 and the fuel cell is actually giving something like 2 days typical use from a single charge/cannister. I also heard that the design will be along the lines of the G5 desktop only the fans will be blowing downwards thereby allowing the laptop to float comfortably in mid air :)

Sorry, but starting G5 rumors now is madness and I simply refuse to believe _ANYTHING_ that anyone says right now, even if it proves correct later, I mean, what's the point?

e.

rog

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Kalapana, HI
Originally posted by shadowfax
boy, won't it be nice when they get 1 MB L2 Cache...

L3 cache is pretty useless if you have real DDR RAM. i think the L2 is much more important.

I guess that's the key question. Do these PBs finally make real use of DDR or is it still a hack job with minimal benefits like on the MDD towers & iMacs?

The Barefeats results show that the new 1.25 GHz PB is about 20% faster than the old 1.0. Just not good enough after 10.5 months of waiting. What they should be doing is adding the full 2MB L3 that these chips can support. Given that Apple is so hobbled by Motorola & their slow chip clock speeds, they have no right to complain unless they pull out all the stops and do everything they can to make these as fast as possible. Why don't these "Pro" models have 128MB VRAM, 7200 or at least 5400 RPM drives as standard? They should. Apple will continue to lose market share unless their products are dramatically faster. Being almost caught up or a lot slower won't cut it.

tny

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2003
Washington, DC

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the next update brings in a version of the G3, maybe called something else to indicate that it is in the class of a higher-speed G4 rather than merely a higher-speed G3 (M5 for Mobile generation 5?).

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
12" Processor?

Does the new 12" have 7455 or 7457? I'm looking at every available doc and can't get the answer.

From MacRumors feed during the keynote, it was stated that "Yes, they ALL have the new 7457", but that was the only conformation I've had.

Arn, any word?

-Spoon

esheep2001

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
The barefeats results make sad reading :( A comparison of one of the slowest Centrinos agains the fastest G4 and the G4 can barely hold it's head up :(

I know, I know! There are other reasons for owning the pbooks but if people go by these then they ceratinly won't want to switch. Personally I would still like a pbook as it would complement the DPG5 I'm getting but as my only machine I'd be looking for a Centrino any day :(

I hope IBM are doing some fast development on a portable version of the G5 'cos if there isn't something in place by Jan next year Apple may well be out of the laptop business altogether!

e.

macmunch

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
I hate it !!!

This Speculation about ohh why is there no Level 3 chache ohohoho thats lame !

Look at the Benchs at Barefeat the 15" and 17" are burning !

They kill the old PowerBook 17" with L3 !

So first look before flame .... :D

Update: I forgott see it so the Update of the PowerBooks was not Low it was High, on this benchmarks you can see you would need a 1.5 or even 1.6 GHz G4 PowerBook with the old chip to have a Chance against the new PowerBook, so very good update for normal Apple updates.

Motorola made a good Chip (this time) one time :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.