Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Funkatation

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2001
What is wrong with the current case? Sure it may be 4 years old design wise, but whats wrong with it? it's still the most functional case in the industry, there's not much, if anything I would change about it. I just wonder why everyone wants a completely new enclosure.. If it ain't broke, don't fix it =)

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Originally posted by dukestreet
Oh I hope this isn't it! Nothing all that special, its shape isn't even all that different.

I don't really care what it looks like; what matters to me is whats inside. :D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I'm more worried about the inside too, but there was all the hype about a new enclosure and I was just hoping something would come along and make us all say 'Wow!'

This isn't it. Its the old design, which is fine, just not anything to get excited about.

D

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
it may not be the radical redesign that many were anticipating, but from the disucssions with insiders it does sound as if the case redesign is more significant than the previous remodels. many of the changes are just not so abundantly obvious. the two drives required a large change, the latch has been reenginerred as well. yes these may seem like small changes compared to what we were expecting but they do represent a real and productive change, not just the superficial change that one may immediatly think has been performed when looking at these images.

and hopefully the changes under the hood will be exciting enough so that apple could drop the guts in a burlap sack and we would still be glad to rush out and drop $3k at the cashier's counter to take home are g4 burlap sack.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
One thing I personally would like to see change are the handles on the bottom. They don't fit with my cpu holder under my desk. It's too curved for the flat holder. I suppose I could cut the holder down a bit, but that's a real pain in the arse. Even if I unscrewed the handles, the curve still causes a problem. Anyway, I don't care that much about the looks of the computer since I'm going to shove it under the desk. But then again if it was really phat looking I might make room on the top.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
That thing is damn ugly. I don't think that the Apple Design Team would ever live it down if they released something like that. Bring on the TiMac!:D

ShaolinMiddleFinger

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2001
i thought the firewire ports were gonna be open? Someone probably just rendered that puppy....we'll see how long it'll take Apple to bring down the picture

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Ok people, remember to download the picture before Apple start crying about it :eek: :eek: :eek:

As always, is a matter of getting use to it, the first G3 for me was and is ugly, blue version seems better, sometimes even better than the actual enclosures.

When the first iMac cem out I thought they were uglie (too much retro for me).

The only computer that I really like ata glance is the new iBook, I even think the 15" version looks better than the 17".

The eMac looks like a mentally challenge computer. The Ti looks like a PC, the iBook looks like one of those tablets where you draw ustuff with the two kwobs on the sides. G3 powerbook looks like Batman stuff (I like them), and that is it.

ktlx

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2002
Oh I hope this isn't it! Nothing all that special, its shape isn't even all that different.

Of course it is not all that different. Making it much different would have been way too hard in Photoshop.:D

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Re: New Picture of G4 Enclosure

Originally posted by AlejandroGonzo
This was on spymac. Thought I would post it here since there are more users on these forums. It looks much better in this picture.

Lest there be any confusion, this is an artist rendering. It is labeled as such on the site. A SpyMac contributor posted this and other images to show what the "case" looks like.

Don't get too excited.

Update: Earlier Photoshopped versions of the "new case" were posted on SpyMac to show visitors what it looked like. This is a new one. The contributor doesn't specifically call this a "photograph" of a real case. By not labeling it as an artist rendering, he leaves it to the viewer to infer what he wants.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Figures, photoslop

Ok, still hopefull for something cool - and yes I know that the insides are totally different - good, but lets see some of the Award Winning Designing Apple is so famous for!

D

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Figures, photoslop

Ok, still hopefull for something cool - and yes I know that the insides are totally different - good, but lets see some of the Award Winning Designing Apple is so famous for!

D

another thing to note is that our insider apple58 or whatever his name was mentioned that the photo that this photorender was modeled after was not the final design but represented something earlier than what he saw. i took this to mean that the leaked photo was both an earlier model and something that wasnt even completely assembled. the metal plate over the drives looks like it is missing a face plate of some sort. this whole situation reminds me of the photos of the original g4 that were leaked that had the case lacking the plastic sides, case looked pretty awkward without those plastics sides.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
New PowerMac Product Photo

A new product shot of the new PowerMac enclosure. The URL was sent to us by a user:

It is presently hosted on Apple's servers, and I expect will be taken down momentarily.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Looks a lot nicer...

...without the plastic on it. If anyone needs it (assuming it gets taken down), post in this thread and I may or may not get around to emailing it to you (if not, someone else probably will).

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
very nice looking enclosure. The irony of apples pics on their own site cracks me up, especially in light of the fact they dont give press passes to the rumor sites any longer

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by sparkleytone
apparently this is just a mock-up done by someone at spymac. there is another thread for this same rendering in one of the other forums.

ah... well, then... less exciting....

arn

serpicolugnut

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2001
Atlanta, GA
Looks like the real deal...

Looks pretty genuine to me.

It does look alot better than the previous photo that was circulating.

I was really hoping though that Apple would finally retire this case. It's way overdue for a redesign.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.