New PowerMacs 8/13/02

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Various reports have been coming in confirming the announcements of new PowerMacs tommorrow by Apple. As well as one unconfirmed report of price drops on the new machines. (take with a grain of salt) Apple/Ingram has discontinued the current line of PowerMacs.

Jaguar also appears to be ready for public use -- Xlr8yourmac.com posted a reader report that a new iBook came with a copy of Jaguar.

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
Whooo-Hooo, oh man I can't wait.

PS I know the head of Ingram Industries, he lives here in Nashville and is an old friend, I called him this morning to ask, but no call back. He's probably playing Polo in Miami anyway.

cyberfunk

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
Gimme

I NEED A NEW POWERMAC NOW!!!!

First Post !!

When do these suckers SHIP?? I want it, NOW ! NOW NOW NOW!

cyberfunk

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
Price Drops

I need those price drops too, I need a new college computer, and I need it to ROCK HARD.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
I was having another dizzyingly blonde day today...... up until lunch time, I was under the impression today was the 13th........ then I realised that I'd lost a day, and infact it's only the 12th.... that means I have to wait another day..... you can't imagine how that makes me feel....... :(

cyberfunk

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by iGAV
I was having another dizzyingly blonde day today...... up until lunch time, I was under the impression today was the 13th........ then I realised that I'd lost a day, and infact it's only the 12th.... that means I have to wait another day..... you can't imagine how that makes me feel....... :(

Personally, if the macs hadnt come out by this time tomorrow, I'd feel really WORRIED, like, where the hell are they? they are coming today, right ?? RIGHT ???

So, I'd be more relieved.

billiam0878

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2002
Winter Park, FL
I would love to see the PowerMac line start at $1499-- though it's only a $100 price drop, $1499 has a much nicer ring than $1599. Maybe Apple will introduce computer-display bundle pricing; that would be very nice as well.

Bill

awrc

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2002
Milwaukee, WI
Originally posted by BJNY
I hope that price drops don't mean that the new towers will be underwhelming:(
Not necessarily - the switch to DDR could mean a drop in memory cost, for example.

Looking forward to finding out anyway - no new PowerMac for me for at least a year, but I'm happy for those who'll be buying them. Jealous too, but mainly happy :D

Of course, once the new PowerMacs debut, we're not going to have any decent rumors to speculate on for quite a while.

jrbohorquezg

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2002
Chicago
Originally posted by Megaquad
00:00 AM Cupertino time,right? What time is it in CET?
I don't think they'll announce them at 12:00 am PST (LA time). They ususally announce early morning (like 8:00 am) EST (NY time)

cyberfunk

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by awrc

Not necessarily - the switch to DDR could mean a drop in memory cost, for example.

Of course, once the new PowerMacs debut, we're not going to have any decent rumors to speculate on for quite a while.
First, Sorry to pop your happy bubble, but DDR costs significantly more than PC 133 style memory.. which is sorta annoying, but I'll pay for it easily !

Screw new rumors, I want my powermac, and I want it now.

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Well, my brand spankin new Powerbook only has 10.1.4 on it. I'm still going to wait for 10.2. But HOLY SH*T this thing is BEAUTIFUL. Everybody at the office is boucing off the walls about it.

BEN

cyberfunk

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by jrbohorquezg

I don't think they'll announce them at 12:00 am PST (LA time). They ususally announce early morning (like 8:00 am) EST (NY time)

FYI, 8 AM EST = 5 AM PST, so it's more likely it'll be like 12 PM to 5 PM EST, as thats 8AM to 2 PM PST

Apple runs on PST, I'm pretty sure. Means longer wait for us on the east.

giovanni

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
manhattan
oh well - I am ready, just wondering if Apple really is ? we are about to find out indeed . It shall be a long night. If nothing happens tomorrow 3 things will happen for me: first I will buy an iMac 17" (which is plenty of power for me in reality - but I was ready to buy a kick ass top of the line PM); second I will be astonished as to how clueless everyone is about Apple; and third I won't be able to justify anymore Apple desktop's pathetic perfomance wrt intel/amd systems. So for those who need up to date "performance" I would not blame them for switching. And how could Apple continue with its "switching campaign"?

However, I have to admit I am optimistic - I conitue to think of SJ et all at MWNY saying many times how many cool things are coming from Apple...

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by giovanni
However, I have to admit I am optimistic - I conitue to think of SJ et all at MWNY saying many times how many cool things are coming from Apple...
And then they released .Mac...... :p :p :p

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Originally posted by cyberfunk

FYI, 8 AM EST = 5 AM PST, so it's more likely it'll be like 12 PM to 5 PM EST, as thats 8AM to 2 PM PST

Apple runs on PST, I'm pretty sure. Means longer wait for us on the east.
If you wanna nitpick times, it will be done by eDt or pDt. The only place in the US on EST right now is Indiana.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
G5 or G4? That is the question

I was with a buddy this weekend from Genentech and he said that a coworker was all worked up about Apple shipping him a new G5. Another co worker responed saying, "that they don't have a G5," he said, "that's what they're shipping him." Apparentley Genentech does testing for Apple. I'm not sure if this is a test machine for something to be released in January or one of the new PowerMacs.

I'm also aware that Genentech will be switching to OS X shorty.

How credible is this? I have no idea, but he does have a PhD and he has no reason to tell me otherwise.

djniche

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2002
DC
Originally posted by saabmp3
Well, my brand spankin new Powerbook only has 10.1.4 on it. I'm still going to wait for 10.2. But HOLY SH*T this thing is BEAUTIFUL. Everybody at the office is boucing off the walls about it.

BEN
Hey i Know how it feels - I got my powerbook brand new also last week and i had people eyes that came out of their sockets!! By far the best looking laptop there is and what can be said about its performance. Just Excellent!! :cool:

What model do you have? i have the 667 version

about the powermacs I hope to get one next year and I hope to get a combo of the 22" cinema and a new G4. I'm hoping there will be a new promotion and maybe a new 19" widescreen introduced. This will bring the 22's price down. As for the PM we should see them at 10am eastern time tomorrow

cyberfunk

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by IndyGopher

If you wanna nitpick times, it will be done by eDt or pDt. The only place in the US on EST right now is Indiana.
son, what are you smoking ? The whole frikin East COAST is on EST, Boston, NewYork, Florida, not to mention all the other places.. EST = eastern standard time