New PowerMacs Released

dhdave

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2001
NJ
Look nice

Enclosure looks exactly like the spy shots. I love that they went dual processor accross the entire line.

dh

fallt

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2001
Ireland
Dual processors across the board...

Dear All,

So, it's official, dual processors across the board... I wonder will this satisfy the hunger for speed. The ultimate certainly looks like a beast - 2GB of PC2700 DDR SDRAM. Not only does it have a SuperDrive, but a Combo Drive too.

Best,

Chris

CTYankee

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
I'll be buying something, but frankly don't like the options. I may just get a refurm D1ghz and sell that in January if any REAL improvements are out there. I'll have to wait and see how the new 166 bus compares vs the old dual 1ghz bus. I won't buy anything until I get Final Cut rendering benchmark results in front of me.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Unreal.

C'mon Apple, how on Earth do you expect to be able to sell ANY of these new machines (except the low end, which seems to be an excellent deal).

they might be faster (significantly so) than the machines they replace, thanks to DDR SDRAM, but the FSB (to my eyes) is still not DDR. They simply dont have the power to justify the $3000 price tag, given the imminent release of Jaguar and it supposed power boosts.

Innovate, Apple! Innovate!

As has been said before, Save Us IBM!

blogo

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2002
Also the macs on the front page are now running OS 10.2, and the emac got a superdrive

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Re: Predictable

Originally posted by Over Achiever

Arrgh. Can't figure out how to start a poll. Anyone want to start one for me? :)
polls temporarily disabled.

arn

dnte42

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Funny that Apple doesn't yet seem to have a front page advertising the new machines. But, in my opinion, there are many more attractive things that could be put there.

MikeH

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2002
Hmm. Not sure about the looks. The panel looks a bit tacked on.

And why has the base model got a lower bus speed? Seems a bit pointless why not just make all with the same mobo?

Not convinced just yet. Maybe when I see full specs...

TheT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Germany
...now I get a 'Forbidden' screen when I wanna go to the Store... and the /powermac page is still not up...
But now, nobody should complain about speed anymore, this is certainly more than enough in GHz... but those price tags :/
BTW: Am I the only that thinks those new cases are UGLY? The eMac is one ugly mac, and now this... come on, where is that great Apple design?

gropo

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2002
Queens, NYC
so annoying

As of 8:58 AM EST the www.apple.com/powermac page is still outdated :p I know some sysadmin in Cupertino is laughing his/her ass off monitoring the volume of requests for that index :mad: :p

{edit.. and then it was promptly updated.. :p}

cyberfunk

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
Allright, this is what I've been wanting to know, and I STILL cant figure it out, can someone confirm, with evidence ?

Is the DDR on this machine a Hack a La Xserve, or is it "FULL" DDR ?

Thanks

MacArtist

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Originally posted by Edge100
Unreal.

C'mon Apple, how on Earth do you expect to be able to sell ANY of these new machines (except the low end, which seems to be an excellent deal).

they might be faster (significantly so) than the machines they replace, thanks to DDR SDRAM, but the FSB (to my eyes) is still not DDR. They simply dont have the power to justify the $3000 price tag, given the imminent release of Jaguar and it supposed power boosts.

Innovate, Apple! Innovate!

As has been said before, Save Us IBM!
Just to let you know, the d1GHz and d1.25GHz now have the fastest true system bus at 167MHz. The XPs and P4 are at 133, XPs have 133x2 DDR and the P4 are at 133x4 RDRAM. If the new G4 is a true DDR implementation, unlike the Xserve hack, it'll be awsome.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
They're still slightly overcharing in the UK but I've been able to click on any of the models and check out the configure to order options.

The second optical drive bay can contain a DVD/CDRW for an extra £200 (must be typo).

The first one has either a DVD/CDRW or DVD-R/CDRW as before.

The Radeon 9000 is an £80 BTO option.

ALL graphics cards now have DVI/ADC connectors so you can run dual LCDs on any model now without having to burn hundreds on the GeForce4 Ti.

They have a 1Mb L3 cache on not only the entry level but the dual Ghz model too, this could mean the high end model is not only 25% faster than the mid range but with the larger cache it will scream in comparison.

I do wonder if having a smaller L3 would make much difference on the low end and mid range though.

I just hope I can afford one of these as an end of life deal sometime next year when I've finally got the money together. The highend model looks pretty good to me.