New Processor Tech from IBM

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
This CNet article reports that IBM will be introducing a new type of transistor this week called Double Gate transistors (targeted for use in 2006:

Double Gate transistors improve on existing designs, according to IBM, because they effectively double the electrical current that can be sent through a given transistor, or, alternatively, lower the amount of electricity running through a given gate for better power management.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
I wonder if apple will take the motorola or IBm route of whether both!

urrga my english is bad to day (I am from London, DOH!)

Guy

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Ok, its good to know that the processors are going to be advancing!! However, looking at 2006 is a bit premature!!

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
If this is from IBM, this probably mean (don't flame me for this) that it will only be used in G3 processors. Since IBM has basically ignored the G4's presence and the recent reports of Motorola carrying the G5 means that this idea and great advancement might only be reserved for G3's!!!

I do hope IBM gets it's issued fixed with Motorola, IBM is really needed for manufacturing...

Mirus

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2001
MN
Interesting...

It's amazing that it takes this long for people to come up with this stuff. I mean, this is quite obvious when you really think about it. The downside, I guess, is that it does require twice as much room per transistor so now that they are getting down to sub .13 microns they'll have more room to work with. Anyone know what the current substrate is these days? Way back when I was in college, as I recall, voltage drop through Gallium Arsinide diodes was .3 volts... I imagine that they have better substrates because low power CPUs run at 3.3v.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
here is my lil vision of the future (although incredibly unlikely). apple and motorola have not been getting along very well. first the scndal with the g4 then the g5 scandel. also motorola has been considering abandoing the semiconductor departmnet anyway. the g5 will bring motorola back into profitability. motorola will sell the semiconductor technology to apple and the g4 patents to ibm. apple and ibm will then take over developing apple's processors. and since ibm seems to be much better than motorola apple computers will see an even greater pace of development.

iBox

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2001
Re: Interesting...

Off topic: you all need to learn proper rules of grammer, it seems. One exclamation per sentence, boys and girls.

On Topic: With the periodic strife between Motorola and Apple, I wonder if this will push Apple into a stance more open to asking IBM to do the processor work on the G4/G5 line.

~iBox

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
o thank you very much ibox!!! we all thought we were writing perfect english here!!! we all sit for hours writing each and every post making sure it is ready for publishing!!! it is so good of you to read through our posts and remind us of what could proper grammer is!!! you know one of the worst things about the internet is that when someone as helpful as you comes by we cant smile at eachother and give you a big ol' hug!!! you're such a sweet guy, thanks for helping out, and if you are ever in berkeley come on by and i'll give you that hug!!!

frankly im surprised the apple-motorola relationship has lasted as long as it has. motorola has set apple way behind schedule. the g5 was originally slated to be released mid-2001. now we are all speculating about the possibility of a g5 in first quarter 2002. also with rumors of motorola abandoning development of the g6 and considering selling its semiconductor department, i would be surprised if apple hasnt already drawn up plans to switch operations from mororola to ibm in the eventuality that motorola decides to sell. im still thinking its unlikely to happen any time soon, but i but i would bet both sides have plans just in case either side pulls out of the relationship.

joey j

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2001
>this idea and great advancement might only be reserved for G3's!!!

In 2006, we won't be using G3s...

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
didnt think id ever be agreeing with joey but hey the kids right about this one. the reserving this tech for the g3 although not bad thinking missing the mark a bit. an ibm development doesnt necessarily equal g3. im not sure what apple would want to call a next generation g3 but this would certainly be next generation. and who knows if the motorola ibm dichotomy will still exist in 2006, i certainly hope not!

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I read an article a while back suggesting that IBM was going to be making an equivalent of "Altivec" for the G3?? Does anybody know?

joey j

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2001
Falleron> I read an article a while back suggesting that IBM was going to
be making an equivalent of "Altivec" for the G3?? Does anybody know?

I'd hardly be surprised. One of the root causes of the dissolution of the
AIM alliance was the incorporation of SIMD into the architecture.
Presumably IBM was invited to work on it and they declined. Some time ago
word leaked to the effect that IBM had reconsidered. Oops.

(if you have a salt shaker handy, bear in mind that MOSR reported that IBM
was negotiating to buy the Altivec intellectual property from Moto).

IBM did licence Altivec as I recall; for fabrication of G4s on Apple's
behalf. It is possible though that the licence could extend to allowing
IBM to use Altivec wholesale in its entire line (possible, but not likely,
I doubt the contract would have been all-inclusive to such an extent).
However, it is plausible that IBM has created an Altivec compatible SIMD
unit (Altivec sans the actual brand name `AltiVec', assuming Moto didn't
licence the `AltiVec' trademark to IBM), which would sweeten the 750FX
greatly, particularly if its floating point performance was boosted -- if
not quite up to snuff in the iMac, without doubt a superb iBook processor,
particularly at high clockspeeds.

A

a

hey ibox, thanks for correcting english mistakes, especially since you're so good at the language yourself. but i didn't know that anyone had given you the authority to create new words, such as "grammer." it's grammAr you idiot.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
seriously now

spell check on my oem version of word 97 has these possibilities:

grace
gramure
grave
gravel
gravity

so grammar and grammer don't fit the bill in this situation

btw, what the hell is a gramure?

and where could i get some?

or is it, "Gee, i am feeling quite gramure today."

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
recipe for the new year

take one part cognac and mix it with two parts vermouth

heat until you achieve a rolling boil

while the skin is still on it, throw in a couple of gramures until the consistency is that of a good plastic cement

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
this has nothing to do with ibm processors

but much on macrumors gets off topic all the time

and much of the best mac related stuff are questions and answers and not wild and imaginary rumors which often have no basis in reality

i learn more from other people's experiences than i do from a rumor which is usually out to spread misinformation or wishful thinking

but all is fair on macrumors.com i guess