Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
Greater London, UK
I don't know how reliable this is but I have been looking at http://www.macosxrumors.com and they appear to have confirmation that there was a meeting on the Saturday before the 'One more thing...' media event to let the retail people know what was coming out this week. And they are announcing that this Saturday there is another meeting scheduled!!!!

How reliable are they as a rumour site people...? Because they are saying this could possibly be the launch of the new PowerMacs and PowerBooks...

macam

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
macosxrumors said that ALL of Apples computer lineup would see an update by December - including the iMac.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
MacSA said:
macosxrumors said that ALL of Apples computer lineup would see an update by December - including the iMac.

Does discontinuing the eMac (at least as a consumer product) count as an update? They have posted many stories from their "sources" that have been total flights of fancy before. Think Secret and Apple Insider seem to be much more reliable.

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
im_to_hyper said:
This would be quite interesting, if true. I'm not going to accept it as fact, nor deny it, since all the video iPod nay-sayers probably feel quite stupid by now.

Well in defence of all the iPod Video nay-sayers, Steve did continuously say that it would not happen, and if you didn't know that prety much every time he denies something that much it's bound to happen then, then they shouldn't feel that stupid.
Now for any of the die hard Mac fans that didn't see a Video iPod coming......that's another story. :)

macam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
Greater London, UK
I have to say though - what with the lead times on the Apple store you have to predict that the PowerBooks and PowerMacs are VERY close to an update!? I have never seen the days increase to that amount mid product cycle. I think that it's odds on boys and girls that this rumour may have a good potential to be on the money or close!

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a built in iSight in the new PowerBooks. That would be awesome. :D

macam

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
macam said:
I have to say though - what with the lead times on the Apple store you have to predict that the PowerBooks and PowerMacs are VERY close to an update!? I have never seen the days increase to that amount mid product cycle. I think that it's odds on boys and girls that this rumour may have a good potential to be on the money or close!

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a built in iSight in the new PowerBooks. That would be awesome. :D

macam

No, I don't want that. Can you imagine the size of bezel necessary to accommodate this camera. I love the slick look of PBs, iBooks my come out with them but not PBs.
Also, why would this be so appealing to power user, we need performance.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
macam said:

macam
I'm not exactly sure how that would turn out but I remember seeing a patent filed by Apple for a camera on laptop display a few months back.

My guess is the PB's and PM's will be updated in the next two weeks.

macam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
Greater London, UK
Mac_Freak said:
No, I don't want that. Can you imagine the size of bezel necessary to accommodate this camera. I love the slick look of PBs, iBooks my come out with them but not PBs.
Also, why would this be so appealing to power user, we need performance.

I hear you but I am thinking it's going to be flush... If you think about it... You want it to film yourself so you can conference call on iChat or skype... and if you're using the screen, 9 times out of ten you're going to position the screen to face you so that is facing you straight on. That way you move the lid to adjust height etc. that way you won't have that funky cylindrical camera thing I've seen on old Sony Vaios.

And why is this appealing to a poweruser? It's a great communications tool and that's the industry that I am in and I think that I would use it loads...
I don't think Cisco would have built video phones for nothing - they think it's the future and so do I! 3G phones... exactly the same thing - just a bit too new but awesome concept!

macam

persianpunisher

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2005
I always knew a video ipod would come. I have waited for October 12, 2005 for 4 years. The video ipod is a godsend

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
persianpunisher said:
I always knew a video ipod would come. I have waited for October 12, 2005 for 4 years. The video ipod is a godsend

LOL, waste of a post. This has nothing do with this thread.

Anyway, I see no reason for having an iSight built in to a PB or an iB. I would have no use for it and being on a portable, would get scratched much more easily than on the iMac.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
All the recent big news has been about consumer lines -- some of us who use their Macs for work want something we can sink our teeth into and consider spending money on, whether it's our own money or on behalf of the firms we work for.

Don't get me wrong -- I own two iPods, I like hearing about the iPod stuff and the smaller Macs because they all represent increasing visibility and awareness of all things Apple but it's news about the PowerMacs and PowerBooks that really interest me but there's been little to get really excited about recently.

So here's hoping for some beefy updates before the end of the year if not the beginning of the financial year in April so I can put some purchasing requests in to Finance.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
MacSA said:

Yeah, I can see a "last update before intel" release for PBs and PMs.

The one thing about Apple I would hazard to say, is that although they are a little nasty and dont release firmware and software updates to give us new things like some of the new features the iMac has right away, you can bet that all new products will get it if feasible and that iLife 06 or .Mac or something else tied to income streams will see us get some of these things.

mac3dX

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2003
Apple Store has 3-5 business day wait on Power Macs!!

Apple Store has 3-5 business day wait on Power Macs!! It was only a 24-hour wait yesterday. It won't be long now!

DavidCar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
macam said:
I don't know how reliable this is but I have been looking at http://www.macosxrumors.com and they appear to have confirmation that there was a meeting on the Saturday before the 'One more thing...' media event to let the retail people know what was coming out this week. And they are announcing that this Saturday there is another meeting scheduled!!!!

How reliable are they as a rumour site people...? Because they are saying this could possibly be the launch of the new PowerMacs and PowerBooks...

macam

Has anyone mentioned the AppleInsider article that came up in the last half hour?

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1320

Alone2Gether

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2005
I sure hope AI is correct. I've been waiting patiently since August.

I am just sick of Windows. The hassle of running spyware removal programs every week. :mad:
But I still have to use it though. I'm a mechanical engineering major and we use Pro/Engineer.

Yes, seems odd for an engineer to have a Mac but I fell in love with it after playing around on a friend's computer.

I also do movie editing as a hobby and want to learn Final Cut.

macam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
Greater London, UK
so now that Appleinsider have put their word behind it... do we now think macosxrumors might be onto something with the whole meeting thing scheduled for this coming Saturday!?

I am starting to think so...

Let's get excited again... we've got to have something to look forward to!

I love everyone and everything again!

macam

macam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
Greater London, UK
Alone2Gether said:
I sure hope AI is correct. I've been waiting patiently since August.

Yeah dude, I hear you... I have been waiting since may.... thinking: I know it will happen in a couple of months... those PB's are going to get upgraded soon. I am still being patient. Looks like a long weekend again....

macam

djkny

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2003
Who cares if AI put their word behind it, it's the nature of the Powerbook update that's ludicrous.

This is gonna be a silent, bogus, ride-out-until-Intel update they could've done LAST October '04. I love the way Apple cons us like suckers. We ride out 18 months for a "significant" update, get played psychological games on, and fall for the anticipation of "updates soon." We are suckers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.