Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
RailheadDesign posts a small update regarding Photoshop 7.0...

There’s still plenty of work to do in the filter department, like getting the filters to generate real-time previews, and small things like that — but most of the program is feature-complete and rock-solid.

As well as shows the new Photoshop Mac OS X icon.

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Personally I thought the ol' bird in flight thing was a better splash page...
but I'm glad to hear version 7 is due to arrive.. Many graphic artists (and tinkerers like me!) will be much relieved being able to finally dump Classic or rebooting into 9.. It's sad that one of the most significant graphics programs will be one of the last to reach native status.. Adobe has been wasting too much time I think obsessing on things like Avid when they should have been obsessing on native core products versions...but oh well.. we can all soon breath a collective sigh of relief.

stoid

macrumors 601
PS7 LE

I wonder if they'll release the Limited Edition for 7. The scanner I bought has the Photoshop LE, but of course it's for 9. And my G4 won't recognize the scanner through Classic, so I have to reboot into 9 everytime. All I want is the basic editing features of Photoshop LE, I don't even need to have the filters. I would really like some free solution to this problem, any ideas?

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Originally posted by Hemingray
Adobe and free don't exactly mix.
You're right about that... but I wonder if their reasoning is sound. On the surface this might seem like a poor analogy, but I think it bears some consideration:
We work on hundreds of PC's a month, and dozens of Macs... I would venture to estimate that 25% of the PC's that come through our service department, and EASILY 50% of the Macs have Photoshop installed on them. As it is fairly system-stressing, I use it to test system performance before we send them out the door, if it's on a machine. MAYBE 2% of time, the name on the splash screen matches the name on the work order. To me, that suggests it's probably the most pirated piece of software (aside from Windows itself, and possibly MS Office) that we see.
Like most computer shops, we're staffed by some of the most ruthless peg-leg having, eye-patch-and-parrot sporting pirates you'd ever hope to meet... I am constantly ridiculed for BUYING software. A character flaw of mine, I suppose. HOWEVER... while all the PC gaming twerps have their burned copies of Wolfenstein, Quake, Unreal, etc.. they each marched next door to Best Buy and purchased legal copies of Serious Sam, and Serious Sam II. I asked if there were a reason for that, and they just shrug and say it's only $20. Now, I am not an economic wiz, but it seems to me that if you have 80% of the people or more buying software, at 25-30% of the price you would otherwise charge, you make lots more money than you do if you get 10% of the people to buy it at the higher price. Or maybe it's just that $20 is a magic number and people will spend that. I dunno.
It certainly would be interesting, though, to see Adobe sell Photoshop for $50 or so and see if they don't increase their legitimate userbase 20-fold or more. I won't bother to hold my breath, though... since I suspect some of their appeal is the snob-factor.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Damn, I could've submitted the icon 2 weeks ago along with info on what's new. Jeesh, the betas have been out for a while now.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
am i the only one who thinks the icon sucks? i just love how the tital to the thread isnt "photoshop coming soon" or "news of photoshop 7" nope its new icon since we all already know photoshop 7 is coming soon. i was kinda hoping the new icon was just something they put in the beta that would be replaced by something more professional when the finished product comes out, kinda like the liquidsky splash screen. first thing i did was replace the icon. now im wondering if maybe i should just try to get used to the new icon.

sside note here... whats up with the Mozilla icon? a big blue "M"??? come on people you have a cool dino thing use it! anyone know of a good replacement for the Mozilla M? and while im on the topic, we have a lot of talent that visits this website, any of you have ideas for a better photoshop icon youd like to share? or even an icon?

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
OS X will arrive...

A lot of people (and I'm not one of them) think that OS X will only truely arrive for the Mac when Photoshop is ported. Granted graphic design is big on the Mac but I think OS X is a perfectly viable OS as it is.

But it is nice to see Photoshop nearing completion.

Matthew

Re: PS7 LE

Originally posted by stoid
I wonder if they'll release the Limited Edition for 7. The scanner I bought has the Photoshop LE, but of course it's for 9. And my G4 won't recognize the scanner through Classic, so I have to reboot into 9 everytime. All I want is the basic editing features of Photoshop LE, I don't even need to have the filters. I would really like some free solution to this problem, any ideas?

Have you tried VueScan? It's OSX native and works with a variety of scanners. If your scanner's SCSI then you're probably out of luck. Did you check for updated drivers? My Canon scanner works fine through Classic.

Hlau

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2002
i've got the same problem

I've got a UMAX Astra 1220U. Is there a OS X driver out for it? I know that VueScan does not support it and for some reason I can't get it to work throguh Classic.

Re: i've got the same problem

Originally posted by Hlau
I've got a UMAX Astra 1220U. Is there a OS X driver out for it? I know that VueScan does not support it and for some reason I can't get it to work throguh Classic.

This was in the Apple Discussions Forum:

This is the responce I recieved from UMAX tech support regarding my astra scanner and OS 10 support:
9.2, 9.2.1 and OS X drivers are currently under development. Please continue to check http://www.umax.com <http://www.umax.com> for further releases.
Please contact technical support at 214-739-1915.

Thanks
UMAX Technical Support

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Umax is TRASH!!!!!!!!

In the Year I spent selling Macs for ComputerWare (A defunkt Apple-Only retail chain that dominated Silicon Valley's Mac market for 14 years) I learned that Umax scanners were the first into any technology, but their drivers were complete (Expletive inadequate, insert Expletive Thesaurus)! Umax is a SW nightmare that repeats with any additional software, OS updates or quantum fluctuations. Umax is a reason to have DSL. I ocasionally joked with other staff about Versiontracker and Umax being owned by the same guy.

Now, after X, I am considering Epson on that same list. Just WHAT is the point of an Epson 2500 Combo scanner/printer if All I can do with it is print? (through a 3rd party freeware Driver, its buggy but resurects printing)

I'd really like to know why it's sooooo difficult for HW companies to write efficient drivers.

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Re: OS X will arrive...

Originally posted by mrtrumbe
A lot of people (and I'm not one of them) think that OS X will only truely arrive for the Mac when Photoshop is ported...
Well if that's true, then OS X truly arrives on Feb 24.. slightly less than one year after it was introduced... well within the Apple 12-hour analogy.. Actually, that would put it at the "11th hour".. lol

grrr223

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2002
Philadelphia
While stoid may have used the word free in his post, he is not necessarily asking for a free solution. He has paid for a legal copy of Photoshop LE by spending at least $100 on his scanner who's manufacturer did pay adobe for their product. I don't remember now, but either my epson 1650 photo scanner or my canon s800 printer cmae with photoshop elements. It is a damned good program. It's like photoshop for dummies, and I think it has all the features of photoshop (I don't know what version). It has soo many helpful features and tutorials built into it that makes it's integration into using a digital camera or scanner seamless which is most impressive for a program with the complexity of the latest versions of Adobe Photoshop.

While a free upgrade would obvioulsy be great, we're not asking for free software. And I guess a fee for it wouldn't be that bad either, just the normal structuve for upgrades and stuff. Photoshop is an awesome program, and if they could get it into as many hands legally as possible through these LE and Elements versions, I'm all for it.

Ifeelbloated

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2002
some God forsaken place
Man, I am so glad I've waited all this time to actually buy myself a scanner. By the end of this year they should all have native OS X drivers. Living on a tight budget makes me think hard! Forethought, forethought, forethought.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
scanners...

I finally broke down and bought the SCSI - USB converter for my scanner...

as far as actually being able to use the scanner....I guess there's always OS 9 & Photoshop 6...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.