New Record: Most Users Online!

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Well, well. Our little community has grown quite a bit. The previous record of 250 some odd people online has been eclipsed today, and by quite a long shot.

332 is the new record. Any bets on how many for MWNY? I'm taking 500...I'm an optimist. :D

It seems WWDC isn't as lame as some seem to think. ;)

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
wow is this board running on more than one database somehow? the vBulletin board i mod dies out at about 100 users

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
If I am not mistaken, I was the first one to bring up the theory of the most visitors (the day before WWDC). My question was who the servers would deal with it.

Originally posted by Yours Truly on Post 319
I think that lots of people are going to be coming to this site for updates tomorrow. This site may even break the 259 guests mark!

I am wondering how the servers will manage with so many guests/members. We got I think 256 at macrumors at one time for updates on MYTokyo as a peak, maybe one or two more. And I got problems about the server being too busy.

And I do not remember there being any webcast for Tokyo, and that was pretty big. So since WWDC may be not much bigger than that, why would people want to start broadcasting?

So people come here to our servers. How will the servers manage so many guests?
Well, were the servers busy? I know I was. :)

Any time is a great time for iPod.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
The server held up for the most part...

There is an auto-lockout in vBulletin where it will stop serving pages once server load exceeds a set value. This prevents a downward spiral if traffic gets too high.

If any of you remember back at MWSF 02... the server crashed a few times... part of this was that the main page was dynamically generated at that time... It's now a static page, updated every 5 mins or so. This helps to reduce server load.

Dukestreet asked a question in the other thread regarding the server load. I don't expect the increased load will necessarily sustatin over the days... so things should be pretty much the same.

MWNY, however... will likely test the limits.

arn

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by arn
The server held up for the most part...

MWNY, however... will likely test the limits.
I got an error a couple of times, but I'm glad it didn't crash.

Now if we don't see a G5 before MWNY, with the rate the site membership is growing, we'll probably see that 500 users online at the time of the KeyNote.

Where do I go to get online for my seat?

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
how do you get it to go to over 100 users? is there some 'throttle' on the mysql db that you can open up?

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
I never got the Message of death today :p
I think it is all because of Cleo saying that she would take Angelina Jolie over a G5 :D

I am still waiting for the response on that.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by Choppaface
how do you get it to go to over 100 users? is there some 'throttle' on the mysql db that you can open up?
no special config used

arn

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by dukestreet
Where do I go to get online for my seat?
you can definitely have mine (as though you wouldn't get one ahead of me... ha) cause i'll be there! well, not for the keynote, but still..... ha

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule

you can definitely have mine (as though you wouldn't get one ahead of me... ha) cause i'll be there! well, not for the keynote, but still..... ha
Bastard! Ooh, I'll be jealous, that's for sure. Take some pics and make sure you post them, that would be very cool. Would you take requests? If I was curious about a particular booth could you snap one up for me. It might be tricky.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by dukestreet
Bastard! Ooh, I'll be jealous, that's for sure. Take some pics and make sure you post them, that would be very cool. Would you take requests? If I was curious about a particular booth could you snap one up for me. It might be tricky.
right after i posted that i realized something... macworld being in the middle of the week might screw me over. as of now i don't have a job for the summer, but assuming i get one, i'll have to work a little bit harder to get there this year... i'll be in PA rather than nyc so it might be tough.

however, i will do my best to get there, that's for sure. and as far as the pics, sure, i'd be happy to take em. we (me and my bros) got my dad a 5 MP camera (i forget exactly which one... ahh) for christmas and so i'd just snag that from him and take a hefty amount of pictures.

usually i focus on a few areas/booths. obviously apple's main area. then things like maya (as of last year of course), combustion, adobe (if they come..), some games, studio artist (great app), zbrush (it's amazing what they show you can do with it, but when you try it yourself, it's not all that good), etc...

anyhoo, as the time winds down i'll know more and let you know. which booths/areas you most intersted in? i assume 3D and other graphics areas....?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule

anyhoo, as the time winds down i'll know more and let you know. which booths/areas you most intersted in? i assume 3D and other graphics areas....?
Yeah, the Newtek one would be cool, but I'll have to look at the exhibitor list to get a better idea. If Bungie is there with a Halo for the Mac demo, that would be key. We've got plenty of time, we'll discuss this when time gets closer.

Thanks.