new replacement iphone, huge piece of dust in camera

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amazingdm, Nov 7, 2011.

1. amazingdm macrumors 6502

I just got a replacement iphone a few days ago and while taking pics of some white documents I noticed a very large dust spot. So either somewhere in the camera lens or on the sensor. Irritating! Anyone have this problem before? Should I exchange it?

2. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Probably and yes (unless you decide you don't want to use the camera).

3. jekyoo macrumors 6502

that's why I don't like in store replacements and prefer a brand new retail unit instead. it's a hassle to return and reorder one but now i have a issue-free 4s. never had a good experience with the in-store replacements.

4. amazingdm thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I've had my iphone for 16 or so months.. so it's a warranty exchange but looks very new

5. jekyoo macrumors 6502

oh. i thought you were talking about a 4s and not a 4.

def go back for another exchange.

6. ToddH macrumors 6502a

ToddH

The iPhones that come in that thin black box, it's new! Not a refurbished phone. The in store replacement is just fine. Why do you assume they are not new? Just because the replacement does not come in apple box or with another power adapter & headphones doesn't mean it's not new. Relax! It's a new phone. The speck of dust in the images does suck, but I think the camera is replaceable, at least it is on the 4s.

7. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

get a new camera from iFixit and replace it yourself.

Guide for it: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-iPhone-4-Rear-Camera/3142/1

8. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Why should OP replace the camera him/herself? He/she got the replacement a few days ago, meaning that the standard replacement warranty (90 days?) is still in place and he/she can go back to Apple for a replacement.

9. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

If it's the back camera, you really don't need to replace the whole unit. Simply take it to the genius bar, show them that you have a dust in your camera and all they will do is go to the back door, give it to the tech. The tech will then remove the back glass, clean out the dust, put the back glass back into its place and bring it right out. This will not void the warranty as the apple tech is the one taking apart the unit.

If it's the front facing camera, I'm sure genius will give an option for a replacement.