New Report - iPhone is now the second best selling phone to corporations - article...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rybold, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Everyone on here already knows that the iPhone3G outsold the RAZR to become the number one selling cell phone last quarter. But a new report that just came out November 20th shows the corporate market.

"The boost in enterprise market share puts the iPhone 3G ahead of Palm, with 14% market share, making it the second best-selling corporate smartphone."

"Even corporate-leader RIM lost a point to Apple’s iPhone 3G, leaving RIM with a 76% market share."

"ChangeWave projects that Apple will close in on RIM’s market share in Q1 2009. Of those survey respondents (companies) planning to buy a smartphone in the next quarter, a full 22% plan to purchase an iPhone 3G."

"RIM is most popular among large companies with 1,000 or more employees, while Apple relies on smaller companies with less than 1,000 employees to drive its market share."

http://www.reuters.com/article/blog...sPL&bbParentWidgetId=B7gSUbux1hpbz8uOa7TWsLnV

ALSO.... "Palm Cutting Jobs as Competition Intensifies"...
    http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idCAN2146354420081122?rpc=44

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

I'm surprised that Palm was #2. I would have thought Windows was #2 and Palm was #3. No mention of Windows Mobile at all on this article? Weird.

3. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

Palm is way behind on the power curve. When was the last time they updated that OS?

4. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Never. You can't even BEGIN to compare the iPhone with a Palm device.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, I think the complete absence of mention of WM is odd, too. It could be that they don't figure in top sellers because WM is a platform and not a phone line, but I would still think that a fair number of deployed and newly purchased corporate phones use WM (including, incidentally, the new Palms).

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

RIM will probably have that big lead for a while. Corporate-types are SLOW to change in most aspects. If you don't believe me, check out our newsroom full of Power Macintosh G3 computers.

I haven't seen numbers, but I'm willing to bet most of the change is based on Apple creating new customers as opposed to old customers switching. The two people (including myself) I know who have iPhones didn't have a smartphone before.

Once Apple gets their secure e-mail and push notification working better (or just working), they have a better chance of chewing up more marketshare.

Side note: I wanted to die laughing in a Storm review that considering the 8GB expansion card "spacious" or called it "a lot of storage." What's the point of a smartphone if you don't start adding all sorts of gig-hogging files on it?

7. stuy119 macrumors newbie

A couple of reasons for this. Windows is an OS, and it comes on Palm products (among others) and isn't a manufacturer.

And for whomever said that you can't compare a Palm to an iPhone, you're right - for a heavy business user, a Palm has more functionality than the iPhone. You don't have support for emailing/downloading attachments, creating docs and spreadsheets, tethering, or easy syncing of Outlook Tasks on an iPhone - all of which are fairly important to those of us who are always on the run.

I'm a recent iPhone convert who came over from a Palm Treo running WM. The only reason I'm on an iPhone now is that we can't switch from AT&T (wife has an iPhone and loves it, but she doesn't use for business) and the Palm Treo Pro isn't subsidized on AT&T (and I'm too cheap to pay for an unlocked phone :) ). Oh, yeah, and the small fact that Palm could be going out of business soon ...

8. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

You misunderstood my comment. Palm devices are so far behind that they are not even in the same game as the iPhone.

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

One thing that people need to do... always, please... is to add "in the USA" or "in the world", as appropriate, when quoting sales stats.

In a way, that's sad. Palm was the "Apple" of handhelds for a long time, with devoted fans for the same kind of reasons of ease of use, and being part of a minority.

Palm was working on a new OS, but who knows if it'll still come. (more here)

10. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

Here in the UK, the Palm phones are sold with the Windows Mobile OS, not Palm OS.

11. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

This is likely due to decreasing number of Palm users. Besides, the #2 in business market share really means nothing, considering #2 is miles away, in terms of users, from #1. This is not really news worthy.