New rMBP 15 Inch on the way! Few Questions!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by harry454, Oct 31, 2012.

1. harry454 macrumors 6502

Just got my order placed for a 15 inch Retina, 2.6/512/16GB. It was a replacement from Apple care since my uMBP was having issues and they said I could pay the difference!

Just few questions, anything I should do when I get it? As well I am in Australia and I am trying to find the Moshi Palmguard for it, does anyone know anywhere that has it?

Following from that, any drawbacks to getting the Moshi keyboard cover?

In terms of the Speck hard cases, what is the general consensus on them....do they collect dust and scratch the rMBP? As well, anywhere to find them in Australia?

And, Last question! Are there any thunderbolt hard drive enclosures I could buy to put my own drive in, preferably 2.5 inch?

Thank you in advance for any help and advice! Cheers! :D:D

2. thewanted macrumors newbie

Looks like you missed this sticky ;)

3. harry454, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012

harry454 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your reply, I did actually see that, but noticed from user reviews it didn't make a difference since the rubber gasket would still end up hitting the palmguard instead! On the Contrary, do you recommend I not get either?

4. thewanted macrumors newbie

Since you don't have the glass protecting the LCD any more, I wouldn't put anything in between the keyboard and the screen.

I can't comment from personal experience as I haven't purchased my rMBP yet, nor do I live in Australia, but I feel your pain as we can't get a lot of the accessories in the UK either.

I am curious to hear what others suggest with regards to your question about the thunderbolt enclosure, and if it's really worth the premium over USB3.

5. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

The screen is super close to the keyboard when closed. I have a mousepad/screen protector that is super thin and that keeps the laptop wedged open. So I stopped using it.

6. iScreamSanWitch macrumors member

The retina screen is already prone to problems.. why would you add something that will wedge it in and might cause further issues? :confused:

7. harry454 thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright sounds good, then I won't get the Moshi keyboard cover or palm guard.

Any advice on finding the Speck cases?

8. SchuettS macrumors 6502

Take the keyboard cover off when you close the lid, thats what i do. Problem solved!

9. harry454 thread starter macrumors 6502

So just so happened to walk into the Applestore and thought I would randomly ask if they had the Speck cases for the Retina and it turns out they finally got their first shipment in today, although they were in the back.

So I picked up a Speck seethru smart shell clear. As well as a incase neoprene slim sleeve which fits it perfectly! (Tried it on the Retina's instore). I can't wait until my rMBP arrives next week!!!

I also ended up ordering a cheap aluminum usb 3.0 enclosure off of ebay!

Any tips or things to do when I first get it? Any cool Retina apps to check out?

10. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I have had the Moshi Palm Guard on my rMBP for several months with no problems.

11. b.tuszkiewicz macrumors member

Will the 13" cMBP Clearguard cover also fit the 13" rMBP?

12. Macral macrumors member

I have been using both Moshi Palmguard and Clearguard for about three months on my rMBP 15. There is no problem at all. I checked the screen thoroughly after I read the issue here on Macrumos and found nothing.

13. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

The Apple store up here had the cases for the rMPB - except for the clear one, which is the one I really want. Guess I'll just have to wait until they get some more in stock...