New rMBP Late 2013 : USB3 port not working on the right side ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hamiltonDSi, May 22, 2014.

1. hamiltonDSi, May 22, 2014
    Last edited: May 22, 2014

hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

Hey guys,

I have a 1TB TOSHIBA USB 2 & 3 external HDD and a Late 2013 Retina Macbook Pro 15".

When I connect the HDD on the left side of my MacBook Pro a blue LED lights on - which indicates that it's connected via USB3 - on the HDD case, but when I connect it on the right side, a white LED lights on - which indicates that it's connected via USB2.

This computer is not even a week old (bought it brand new from an Apple Store in Italy).

Does the Retina Macbook Pro have only one USB3 port or my port on the right sight is not working correctly ?

Mind you, this Toshiba HDD is the only USB 3 accessory I have in my house so I can't connect something else for more testing.

Thank you !

2. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

All of its USB ports are USB 3.0 - Your USB Port on the right side is faulty.

3. itegypt macrumors 6502

itegypt

Just like Quu posted above it has two USB 3.0 like the image below..Since you just bought it then take is back to :apple:
    [​IMG]

4. hamiltonDSi thread starter macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

Thank you.
    I'm going to call my friends to see if they have some USB 3 HDD's to make another test.
    If indeed my port is faulty I will take back my computer to be repaired.

5. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

If it is less than a week old as you say, I would want a new one rather than a repair.

Barney

6. hamiltonDSi thread starter macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

The computer was purchased 4 days ago but I received it 3 days ago.
    I asked a friend who visited Italy to buy it for me because it's cheaper there.
    I waited another day after the purchase for him to return because we live in Romania.

7. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Do you have Apple Stores in Romania?
    I don't think it matters where you purchased it, you can return it to any Apple Store.

Barney

8. hamiltonDSi, May 22, 2014
    Last edited: May 22, 2014

hamiltonDSi thread starter macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

Nope. That's why it's expensive here.
    We only have Authorized Apple Resellers like iStyle or Noumax.
    They are just like Apple Stores (all products available, authorized repair service, you can configure your Mac before purchasing - built to order, lots of 3rd party cases & accessories, one-to-one sessions, all products ship in 24hrs when available and so on).

I can take my Mac to them, no problem. They will repair it under the 1 year international warranty.

Last year my iPhone 5 bought from Paris (France) had a faulty Lock Button and Noumax gave me a refurbished one on the spot. They only checked the serial number.

The only downside with this resellers are the prices which are a little bit more than in the U.S.
    For example, in the U.S. a 11" Macbook Air is 899 $, here it's 1,360 $.

I paid for my Macbook Pro 2,030 Euros (2,772 $) at the Apple Store in Italy, if I had bought it from here at one of the Authorized Apple Resellers the price tag would have been 3,007 $...Hell NO !
    I called my friend and asked him to buy it from me. Of course, he did. And I saved 300 bucks. :)
    The only down side is this damned italian keyboard layout. Lol.

----------

Someone posted this on discussions.apple.com :

Looks like I'm not the only one. Can this really be a software issue ?

9. hamiltonDSi thread starter macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

I connected the HDD on my father's 13" Retina Macbook Pro and it works fine on both sides.
    I'm gonna call one of the Authorized Resellers and sent the computer to them on monday for servicing. Damn :(

10. hamiltonDSi thread starter macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

Well, I feel silly.
    I just restared my computer and now the port works fine. Troubleshooting 101 lol. :D

I'm glad that everything is perfect now and I can enjoy this beast of a computer.