New rMBP owner here..Thinking of returning it for a MBA 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ducatiti, Jul 23, 2012.

1. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

As per subject line, I am really thinking of exchanging my base rMBP for a MBA 13" i7, 256 SSD, and 8 GB of ram. I will save around $400.

I don't think I don't need the processing power of the rMBP. I just browse the web, Win 7 via fusion, and occasionally do some home video editing. But then again, I can do that on my quad core iMac 27".

As I am typing this on my iMac, now I see the huge difference between a retina display and a regular one. I will miss that for sure. I didn't truly appreciate the retina display till now.

I have 13 days left. Please help me out. lo

2. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

don't do it

(I feel we've summed the thread up here already)

3. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

if you didnt need it in the first place then why buy it?

4. AirThis macrumors 6502a

IMHO you've already answered the question yourself.

5. noteple macrumors 65816

Maybe a 13" Air. You could keep the SSD and gain some portability.

6. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

What's the point of this thread? What kind of help do you need? Just sounds like a cool story to me bro.

7. Nutdotnet macrumors member

The 13" Air is great, the rMBP is great (I have both). You can't really go wrong either way.

For me - I like the small form factor of the Air, but I also prefer the increased performance of the rMBP (plus I love the screen).

Get whatever you think is best for you.

8. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

I'd only do it if the weight/portability factor bothers you. In a couple months there should be tons of refurbs or BB OB available that will make the difference less than $200. I think the problem is that you already have an i7 quadcore at home. You may be better served with an 11 air for true portability.

9. ducatiti thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for your suggestion. Yes, the weight/portability factor bothers me but loving the retina display. Office/iWork is blurry though, since a lot of apps are still not supported. Refurbished/Returned systems are not an option for me.

But I think the rMBP will be a more of a "future proof" system than the current MBA IMO. Given the specs and technology, the rMBP will last longer for me without having a need to upgrade the system.

On the other hand, I like the footprint/form factor of the MBA. ;)

10. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

Well, it sounds like you've figured out the trade offs that you need to consider over the next 14 days. I'd suggest living with your rMBP until then to give it thorough consideration: that's better than returning it too quickly, getting an Air, and then deciding you want another retina mac.

I sold last year's 13" MBA to get the rMBP, and I'm glad that I did. I liked the Air a lot, but the screen size was a bit too constraining for me, and I love the higher, and very usable, resolutions available in the retina MBP. The larger footprint and weight don't bother me, either. I also have been enjoying the much better speakers. When I had the two side by side at home, the retina display was significantly superior to the Air and not just in sharpness: color was richer and more vibrant. The Air's display looked washed out in comparison. Also, photography is a hobby for me, and I feel that the retina Mac is the better choice (again, for me). If the Air is what you need, it's a great machine.

Those are my reasons for going with the retina Mac over the Air. From what you've said, the Air may be better for you...maybe. :)

11. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

I have a 13" 2011 mba also..perhaps you also have an LG screen?:D I think the problem is that he already has a quadcore machine whereas both of us came from a MBA

12. robvas macrumors 68020

13. ducatiti thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for your very helpful post. Now you have semi-convinced me to keep rMBP, negating your last paragraph. :)

14. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

Ha! You're right, it was an LG. I remember that debate well (and it continues with the retina). :)

15. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Since you already have an iMac a MBA will be a good laptop to go with.

16. ducatiti thread starter macrumors 6502a

To add, I have four children. So basically OWN the iMac nowadays. lol

17. InlawBiker macrumors 6502

I do not understand the need for two powerhouse computers. If anything it's a hassle keeping them in sync, and I'm not even addressing the added expense. I would use either a rMBP or an iMac not both plus an iPad if you must. Even a 13" MBA is totally adequate for most daily use as a full-time computer.

18. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

That's a lot of mouths to feed! But yeah, if you don't need mobile power go MBA. I'm still trying to adjust moving around the house with the weight of the RMBP. The weight of the MBA has spoiled me.

19. lcseds macrumors 6502a

I love my 2011 13" MBA. However, the display on the MBP (classic and retina) have a better display. Richer colors, contrast improvement, etc. Yes I have an LG display but with a decent ICC profile the difference between it and the Samsung panel is negligible, so it's as good as it will get. I like eye candy. I do some photo editing and one of these days will edit the 50 or so 8mm and mini DV tapes I have piled up. So, wife gets the MBA and I'm diving in for a rMBP.