New Router. Does airport extreme only work with OS X and iOS or also with windows??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Brm-G, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Brm-G macrumors member

Well i am close to buying a new router. I want to connect the following:
    2x iMac (ethernet)
    2x windows computer (ethernet)
    1x MacBook Air (wireless)
    1x Windows laptop (wireless)
    2x iphone (wireless)
    2x different smartphones android (wireless)

Now I am wondering which router is the best choise... Airport extreme looks good but it a bit pricy, also I am nog sure if it works with windows computers and android smartphone's.

other options:
    D-Link DIR-655
    TP-Link TL-WR1043ND
    ICIDU NI-707533

What do you guys think?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The AEBS will not have enough ethernet ports for you. Buy something like the Netgear WNDR3700 that has 4 ports instead of 3. The AEBS is not operating-system specific, though.

3. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Forget about the other routers. The Airport Extreme is a very good router. I have spent $100's on other routers, and always had issues. Linksys overheat and freeze, D-Links get quickly abandoned by manufacturer (no more updates after a while, broken functionality, first hand experience), and Netgear, not good experience from the past, but don't know about current routers.
    All I know is that whether you have a Mac, a PC or a wireless device, the Airport Extreme will work great, and can also share several USB drives over the network.

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I am a Cisco man myself, but I've helped non-techno-literate friends set up APE's before, and I really do like the interface. They seem very reliable too. Unfortunately, it only has 4 ethernet ports (3 devices + modem). So if you want to use it, you'd need to get an unmanaged switch. I have THIS one behind my TV to handle all my home theatre devices (Tivo, Mini HTPC, PS3). $25, and it does a cool feature that reduces power output based on cable length. No setup involved with an unmanaged switch - think of it as a power strip for ethernet.

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

6. jljue macrumors regular

Most devices at home are on Ethernet at my home instead of wireless for reliability reasons (Tivo HD, Apple TV 2, Mac Mini, MBP when in the office, VoIP adapter, printer, Briteview Media Player), and I have a an AEBS. Only my guests (guest VLAN), iPhone, iPad, MBP when not in the office, and fiance's laptop are wireless. I have a 5-port GB Ethernet switch in the AV cabinet for the Tivo HD and Apple TV 2, and and I have an 8-port switch to connect everything else that is on Ethernet. I am using only two of the LAN ports on my AEBS to go to the unmanaged switches. The open port on the AEBS will probably go to a switch on the other side of the house, if I decide to move/add equipment to that side of the house.

Having only 3 ports doesn't bother me since most home-grade wireless routers don't have enough Ethernet ports for me to get rid of the unmanaged switches anyway.

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I'd also second the WNDR3700 or WNDRMAC since you need that extra Gigabit port.

8. bushbeat macrumors member

The Airport Extreme is a little pricy, but I find it very stable and it is very easy to setup. Firmware and utility upgrades is automatic. As mentioned above, you'll need a Giga switch, also giving the option for more devices in the future - TV, gaming and so.

9. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Can i ask, if i need a new back up and router. would a time capsule suffice or is the airport extreme better?

Thanks

10. bushbeat, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011

bushbeat macrumors member

At the moment I use an Airport Extreme with an external disk for files and backup. Not that it is better than the Timecapsule though, but it works fine. With an external disk, I think you will get more diskspace for the money - if that is an issue. I don't think that there are any technical differences between the two.

11. Brm-G thread starter macrumors member

So a Airport extreme will work fine with several windows computers and android smartphones too?

12. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Yes, but as the first post pointed out, you can only have 3 wired connections.

13. cdustybk macrumors member

Mine works fine with any wireless devices that have been in my house. This includes wireless Windows Computers (XP to 7), various Android phones, iDevices of all sorts, and Macs (of course!). Should work fine with any wireless device

If you need more physical ports, however, there are cheaper options available. Cheaper ones from WalMart work just fine. I mean they have an industry standard for this stuff. Apple just tends to go more for the nicer interface and nicer-looking machine.

14. gugy macrumors 68030

Hi,
    I have a cheap wireless router that I bought at Fry's and I would like to have it joining my current Airport Extreme wi-fi network.
    I opened the Airport utility but it cannot find my Fry's router and unfortunately the software for the router only comes in Windows.
    Does anybody know how I can accomplish this?
    The brand is Fry's FR-54RTR.
    This is the website of the product. Thanks!

http://www.frysnetworksupport.com/Pr...Model=FR-54RTR
    I appreciate any help!

15. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502a

About 6 months ago I bought an Extreme for my parents, who only use Windows. No Mac's in their house. Works flawlessly. They're not tech-savvy, so if there was even 1 problem they would have called me right away. My father sometimes works from home and needs 100% reliable internet access. I recommend the AEBS to anyone looking for a new router.

16. psykick5 macrumors 6502

The new Airports have rave reviews about their range and speed. I'd get one if my router was having any issues.

17. Lagmonster macrumors 6502

Check Anandtech for the review of the 5th gen extreme. It is quite great. Add a cheap gigabit switch for extra wired connections.