Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
In honor of our famous friend who dropped his new 17" Powerbook off a 2nd floor balcony, I propose a new forum rule.

Any Mac disasters in the future must be accompanied by photos proving the authenticity of the story, such as a photo of the bashed PB beside the current day's newpaper front page. :)

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
I was ok with no pictures until the latest scam. Now I am going to be skeptical about anything that doesn't have pictures with it.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Heb1228 said:
In honor of our famous friend who dropped his new 17" Powerbook off a 2nd floor balcony, I propose a new forum rule.

Any Mac disasters in the future must be accompanied by photos proving the authenticity of the story, such as a photo of the bashed PB beside the current day's newpaper front page. :)

Works for me. I'll second the new amendment for forum rules.

Oryan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Lincoln, NE
alex_ant said:
The best part was later in the thread where he said he just went off and bought another one the very same day. HAHAHAHA YIKES.

I agree. That was a worthless thread and a waste of my time and bandwith to read.....I so wanted to see pics though!

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
alex_ant said:
The best part was later in the thread where he said he just went off and bought another one the very same day. HAHAHAHA YIKES.
The best part was his reason for not wanting to buy a digital camera. At that point, mostly everyone knew he was a troll looking to incite trouble.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I really can't see this happening. Just don't get wound up about it, just like anything else you see/read on the internet, take it with a bit of salt.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I dropped my 12" Powerbook off of my desk (approx 4 feet high), where it landed squarely on its corner. It dented the corner, but that was the extend of the damage. All of the internal components were unharmed. I have pictures somewhere.

Here are some pictures I took:
https://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20754
https://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20755
https://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20756
https://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20757

I know a guy with an old iBook which suffered the fate of a big guy's boot at a concert. It was closed and off, but it managed to escape without any largely noticable marks and, surprise, worked perfectly.

I saw a video where one lady baked her Powerbook (literally -- in the oven) and another where this one guy ran over it with his SUV (by mistake, obviously) and both still worked. The screen was damaged, but they both worked.

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
alex_ant said:

I'm pretty sure that you're post about the maxed out G5's was the funniest.

Does anyone else think it's odd that two people posting in that thread are currently banned?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
iDM said:
Why kind of infraction is deemed banable? Like making up faulty stories, crusing that kinda thing?
Making up stories is not in itself a rules violation. Bans that occur are always based on the rules.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
I think that people who make up Mac snuff stories on the Internet to get attention have more to worry about than braking the forum rules i.e. getting a life... :rolleyes:

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
edesignuk said:
I really can't see this happening. Just don't get wound up about it, just like anything else you see/read on the internet, take it with a bit of salt.

Hi edesignuk,

what happend to the pretty lady? Maybe I start a thread about that. I guess it's worth it. Yeah I will, no I won't, yeah I will, no I won't ....

Cheers
LaForge

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
ok i'm a lazyass person with no motivation in life, yet i still don't have enough free time to sit online and make up stories like this... i guess i just don't see why anyone would, at least lying in real life, you get to see if the person buys it... in this case, you might as well be sleeping for all the reaction you get. ooh, i pissed off 20 strangers on the internet, aren't i a badass.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Heb1228 said:

But, but, but...! There is no damage to photograph! Seriously, I've dropped my PowerBook Pismo from chest height three times (accidentally! I swear!) and it is not damaged at all. (Just call me Mr. Butterfingers!) It was even on. These happened years ago and the machine is still running fine. In fact I'm typing this message on it. Built Pismo Tough! :)

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
wow, I missed that phony unfortunate gravity driven powerbook over balcony story, even if it were true, what kind of twit puts their powerbook in a position like that? DUH!
My powerbook has fallen ass over tea kettle from the coffee table, but no damage done - just an accident caused by my nearly abused 3 year old for doing that! (kidding, although it's true that I've never been more pissed at a child in my life)

there was a thread with pictures of a battery that went *boom* and it was a scary sight... my poor PowerBook is still traumatized for having seen those frightful pictures {{{shudders}}}

but if something substantial happens to my mac stuff, you guys would probably be on the list of people to hear about it, pictures and all ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.