New San Jose billboard calls egg-eaters bad feminists

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Dec 1, 2018.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That's a wacky billboard with a (seemingly) oddly limited audience. I think PETA is making a big mistake with this one. Whenever liberal groups move to support feminists within their ranks, the message becomes about feminism rather than their initial mission.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

5. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

6. chown33 Moderator

Staff Member

Are we sure it's really PETA and not some parody group?

Because Poe's Law.

There are also false-flag possibilities... Eet mor chikin.

7. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

Me too. And not only do I enjoy real eggs, I also enjoy eating their mamas whenever I can lay hands on chickens raised locally and organically. Bad feminist, worse flexitarian. :D

However, even if I were vegan, I'd still believe PETA is off the wall. For them to link veganism and feminism is a huge mistake. As @jkcerda said, "lefties eating lefties"... but I don't think of PETA members as lefties... just as extremists. That billboard, wow. What a way to try to bust out of the little echo chamber in which PETA usually operates. They must be desperate for publicity of any sort, but I don't think this move will actually end up expanding that echo chamber.

8. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I guess by their logic abortion is unethical? Somehow I feel like they’re not pro-life.

9. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I'm ambivilant about PETA but if you believe any publicity is good publicity they are very good at it.

10. Zenithal macrumors G3

I wouldn't lump liberals with PETA. Just as I wouldn't lump all southerners with racist rednecks. PETA are... special.

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Not a huge fan of PETA ...BUT ...In a sense, I think it's a point made. Chickens are basically forced to lay eggs, and Cows to produce milk. When you think about how that's done on a mass scale, it's done in a cruel and unnatural method. Not like how it's done in a private small family farm.

Yes, it's a borderline extreme logic. But feminists thrive on extreme logic. So if they can dish it, they can receive it as well.

12. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

It's not just because of PETA that people are woke now to the evils of factory farming!

Also, I won't pretend to be an expert on feminism, since I'm not. But I do understand that the term "feminist" by now covers a pretty extensive spectrum of opinions and practices... way too extensive to say that feminists all "thrive on extreme logic".

Some feminists are pretty focused on certain practical issues like more access to daycare for kids, or advocating equal pay for equal work. Some are into remediation of educational discrepancies like under-representation of women in literary canons, or for that matter women as authors of college textbooks and other source materials in history, sciences, math...

And sure, some feminists are out there proving that anything can be taken to extremes in a country where the right to assemble peacefully (more or less) is guaranteed by law even if permits are required by local ordinance. What's a day in America without a raucous protest somewhere about something? Might as well be raucous feminists as raucous union plumbers or telecom workers on strike, no?

PETA, on the other hand does seem to focus on extremes. They don't generally acknowledge, for instance, that not all eggs destined for our table are laid by factory-farmed hens. They don't reference the changes made by law in the past decade or so regarding more humane and healthier approaches to commercial egg production.

In short, PETA fairly often seems to ignore improvements for the sake of advocating their view of absolute perfection. Plenty of feminists are more practical than that: we'll work for and celebrate whatever progress we can manage in a given year... decade.... century...

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The idea of raucous plumbers amuses me. Instead of grabbing their pitchforks, they could grab plungers and pipe snakes.