new Schengen Members start implementation on 21. dec

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by takao, Nov 19, 2007.

1. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i'm surprisedthere are no other threads on this topic since it's quite a significant event and only a month away for 9 countries to finally implement it which means 9 more countries to visit without having to deal with fancy border controls:

Czech republic
    Estonia
    Hungary
    Latvia
    Lithuania
    Malta
    Poland
    Slovakia
    Slovenia

perhaps it's because this board is mostly populated by europeans from the british islands ;)

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

It'd help if you'd explain to some of us what this is. I had to look it up.

Anyway...not to go all Bushy on you, but isn't there some concern about this making it easier for terrorists?

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The border controls that have been in place since the ten newest EU members joined in '04 seem to have worked quite well. Most of those arrested on suspicion of terrorism in the EU had been there for quite some time.

I don't think it's going to trigger a mass migration like everyone thinks it is. Most of those who wanted to go west already have. Bulgaria and Romania will be the big test of tolerance!

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Or in the case of the UK… 9 more countries that will be "visiting" without having to deal with fancy border controls… :eek:

Yes, I know, not very open-minded of me…

5. takao thread starter macrumors 68040

takao

well i somehow assumed that it was more well known... simply because it's aside of the euro agreement the second most important aspect for the normal population
    (perhaps i'm more interested in it since more is to gain for me as an austrian with 4 borders opening up in january and another one end of next year ... finally no border controls when entering switzerland)

not really that much concern because it actually requires the states to connect themselves to a combined database.. so that if somebody who is a terror suspect in spain enters the EU outer border in hungary he still is catched (the UK doesn't have acces to that database for example since they didn't sign Schengen)

more concerns are made about things like for example cases where there is a close connection across a border ... like close to Lemberg in the Ukraine where now more strict border controls will be made since it's a EU/Schengen outer border
    another thing which often comes up is that some circles around austria now are fearing because of more illegal immigrants because the routine border patrol will stop on the austrian border and will be then made at the border of let's say hungary

edit: bulgaria and romania aren't scheduled until 2011/2012 since those need bigger adjustments

on UK: not joining an EU wide effort (actually going beyond the EU borders)... what a surprise

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Actually, UK is not a Schengen member, so there are still border controls between the UK and all these countries.

7. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Ah, my mistake then.

8. shikimo macrumors 6502

I'm confused about Schengen policies in practice, anyway...I've done a lot of driving around Europe--central and western--and the border control has been far from consistent. I've been absolutely grilled at the Poland-Czech frontier, but then passed the Czech-Germany control point (on the freeway, in broad daylight) without seeing a single customs/immigration officer. Isn't that supposed to be the current Schengen checkpoint?? I could've had a whole family of Roms in the back of my Panda and they never would've known! And then just a few weeks ago, no control at the Italy/Slovenia border, but HARDCORE control at Slovenia/Austria border...and then the exact opposite on the return trip.

Add to that the horrifically common practice of gangsters smuggling Bulgarian and Romanian (and, I am told, Moldavian) teenagers into France for the purposes of prostitution, and I'm not too convinced border control is accomplishing much anyway.

Sometimes I think the UK and their pseudo-isolationism isn't so bad after all.