New senator (yes, THAT one) helps Democrats advance jobs bill

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Omigod! Bipartisanship! The world is coming to an end!

Too early to know for sure if I like this guy or not, but this is certainly a big step in his favor.

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Its amazing what can happen when you concentrate on what is at the forefront of American problems, employment, instead of worrying about other crap like cap & trade and giving the private health insurance industry a free hand job :eek:.

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I saw that. finally a couple of Republicans actually step across party lines in favor of a bill.

Lets hope this is a sign of that "just say no" mentality is waning.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Be interesting to see how the teabaggers take to being dissed right out of the gate by their newest hero...

Although moderation is Brown's only hope of getting reelected in Mass. I guess anythings possible, but I'd be surprised if something like this doesn't draw a strong rebuke from the far right.

5. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

What newly elected Scott Brown (R) said about John Kerry (D) . . .

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm actually very hopeful about this guy now.

7. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Teabaggers, if they are like Glenn Beck (who also has no problem criticizing Republicans) or Ron Paul, may distance themselves from the GOP rank and file so their response may not be what we consider it to be.

Conservatives in America seem to be coming to a splitting point along government spending lines. Chances are the old guard GOP will get the nomination in 2012, but this will set up a perfect opportunity for a tea-bagger Republican (anti-government spending to the point of pulling out of both wars) to pose a challenge.

If this recession does not get put out by 2012, it will pit conservatives against each other, probably due to the expensive war on terror many attribute to George W. Bush.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm not, it was all for political reasons. The Rs voting for it were Snowe (NH), Collins (NH), Bond (MO), Voinovich (OH) and Brown (MA)

Let's break it down:
    Snowe and Collins are the most liberal republicans in the senate. Their votes don't come as much of a shock.
    Bond and Voinovich are retiring. They don't have to worry about being primaried out by a bunch of teabaggers, which is a big possibility in swing states like MO and OH. They can vote for what's right, not for what will keep them in the senate.
    Brown is out in 2012 unless he moves to the left. And even then, it's no guarantee, it is going to be very tough for him to hold on to that seat. Maybe he's voting for it because he knows it's right, but I think he's doing it purely for political reasons.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

IMO, much ado about nothing. It was only a procedural vote. I bet some of those Rs vote against it when it comes up before the entire Senate.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

They'll probably vote for cloture but vote against the bill to score political points with each side, and sadly, Americans are stupid enough to buy into it.