New Site Design (2020)

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
vertical
The deleting of posts that are "collateral damage" to the deletion of moderated posts doesn't actually work that way. The "button" that deletes the post(s) doesn't necessarily have your post(s) at hand, at least not in the way implied by your description. Or it doesn't necessarily have only your post(s).

If you receive a Reminder or Warning as a Conversation (Private Message), which typically quotes your entire post, then that means that your post was moderated, and wasn't just collateral damage.

Honestly, it will be simpler if you ask us to find a deleted post of yours, which I hope would only happen occasionally.

The alternative of sending you a Notification with the entire content of your deleted post(s), or even a link, would require substantial changes to the XenForo software the forums use, and that's not likely to happen. The moderators don't have the ability to change XenForo.

If you can just identify the thread, that's a good starting point. If we then find that a dozen of your posts were deleted there, we can ask you to help narrow it down.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
@arn what was the link to force all the stories on the front page to be fully visible? You posted it when you initially truncated the articles and it worked, but now has gone back to the truncated version. I'd like to not have to click each article.

(I apologize if I missed it posted somewhere else.)
It's working again!

Reactions: tobefirst

HeinMeling

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2013
Very nice update with a single feed. However I strongly dislike having to dismiss the ad at the bottom of the screen (iPad Pro landscape mode)... it’s just to invasive. Don’t you have enough ads on the site to sustain the financials of macrumors?

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Very nice update with a single feed. However I strongly dislike having to dismiss the ad at the bottom of the screen (iPad Pro landscape mode)... it’s just to invasive. Don’t you have enough ads on the site to sustain the financials of macrumors?
Hi if you’re logged in, you won’t see that ad.

arn

Reactions: CarlJ

Populus

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2012
Valencia, Spain.
Hi @arn and company, is this the right place to post a suggestion for the new design? Actually, a couple of suggestions.

First the most important one: having a quick access button to the forum on the top bar. Aside from the button on the left menu, a single button for the forum would be neat, and there’s space for it between the MacRumors logo and the magnifying glass of the search field. Here, on the red square:

8A0D054D-563A-4687-9F1D-46FB21200D4C.jpeg

Having a dedicated button for the forum eases the flow between the frontpage and the forum, something I do frequently.

Another suggestion is having the complete address bar in the forum, with all the upper folders, to be able to jump directly to the main forum with just one click:

DE963521-DEF3-4B09-8FE1-8CCF9F5D66EB.jpeg

But this, I’m afraid, is a feature of the reactive design itself...

All screenshots were taken on an iPhone 8.

Reactions: arn

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Hi @arn and company, is this the right place to post a suggestion for the new design? Actually, a couple of suggestions.

First the most important one: having a quick access button to the forum on the top bar. Aside from the button on the left menu, a single button for the forum would be neat, and there’s space for it between the MacRumors logo and the magnifying glass of the search field. Here, on the red square:

View attachment 900412

Having a dedicated button for the forum eases the flow between the frontpage and the forum, something I do frequently.

Another suggestion is having the complete address bar in the forum, with all the upper folders, to be able to jump directly to the main forum with just one click:

View attachment 900413

But this, I’m afraid, is a feature of the reactive design itself...

All screenshots were taken on an iPhone 8.
I added the forum link. The second one, not sure the space is there.

arn

• Love
Reactions: Populus

Populus

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2012
Valencia, Spain.
I added the forum link. The second one, not sure the space is there.

arn
Oh great! Thank you for the forum button! That’s what I needed!

The second one, never mind, It is that way because of the lack of space (wide) for the entire thread route. It’s okay.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Oh great! Thank you for the forum button! That’s what I needed!

The second one, never mind, It is that way because of the lack of space (wide) for the entire thread route. It’s okay.
The "Home" button in the sub-nav bar does take you to Forum Home. I did add that when we switched designs.

arn

Reactions: Populus

alexanderkilts

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2016
North Carolina, USA
The new site slows down my computer, and now even the forum gives me the same "This webpage is using significant memory. Closing it may improve the responsiveness of your Mac." the regular site does.

on Mojave

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Hmm I notice there are no ads in Chrome on the iPad but on the iPhone, there are heaps of overly large sized ads.
Edit...Chrome on iPad has one small ad on the top of some pages, but it’s no where as intrusive as those on the iPhone.

Also, is that Hamburger menu to jump between forums still on the cards??