Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

New 'Solo Loop' Style Bands Optimized for Apple Watch Series 4 and Later

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Is there a benefit? Hopefully smell resistance as sweating with the current sports band you need to clean it often especially if you work out a lot.

What? I’ve never had a band start to smell, and I don’t clean them nearly as often as I probably should.

Comment

jonblatho

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2014
Missouri
Are you allergic to the plastic/rubber, or to the metal pin?

I've read that a lot of people had reactions to the pin, and just cover it with tape, I believe it has nickel in it iirc.
The pin was definitely the issue for me, and any time I get a new Sport Band it causes irritation. It’s gotten better with each new Sport Band I’ve bought, though, probably just my skin getting used to it.

The first one…yeah, I had to cover it with clear nail polish. It was bad.

Comment

Usersname

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2020
Anyone have any luck with the red solo loop or red braided solo loop. From what I can see now, those two are listed as ‘coming soon’ and have no sizes available. When I finally got on to the store like 5 min after the video ended, those red watch/solo band options weren’t available. It just seems a little weird that those two bands are literally the only ones with no sizes available and everything else is available now in any size. Did they actually not put those two up for sale yet?
Also, how annoying is it that with any other color of watch you can select any band, including the red one, but the red watch, you can’t choose anything but a red band. I already have the old red sport band, I just want a black loop with a red watch..

Comment

Goodeye

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
I want one of the braided solo loops but no way in hell I’m spending $100 on a watch band. Not judging those who do but that’s just nuts to me.

I’ll wait for the cheap knockoffs on AliExpress are up.

Reactions: Howyalikdemapls
Comment

jdsingle

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2011
Is there a benefit? Hopefully smell resistance as sweating with the current sports band you need to clean it often especially if you work out a lot.

Had to login and respond to this - yes, pure anecdote. At least 3 days per week, I do 1-2 hours of mountain bike riding, 40-60 minutes of traditional strength training, and 1-3 miles walking my dog. I also consistently use my Apple watch while working on my Jeep (just got finished spraying Fluid Film for the past 30 minutes) - except when I'm worried about it bumping into parts and then it's removed. I switch between two Nike sports bands and two UAG bands. I've had these for well over a year. They're all gnarly looking with grease, lanolin, locktite, and god knows what else. Either I'm losing my sense of smell, or you have the nose of a blood hound.

Reactions: BuddyTronic
Comment

BuddyTronic

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I think the new Solo loops will be much more comfortable than the sport bands.

I really liked the sport band.

I went for the magnetic leather strap last year and pretty much loved it too.

Green braided loop version coming!

I also had the expensive links bracelet. Still have that in a drawer. And Milanese loop I got rid of - Looked cool but pulled out arm hairs.

that’s quite a few!

Comment

honglong1976

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2008
UK
I would love to see a photo of one of these bands and a series 3. Wonder why they don't fit.

Comment

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I would love to see a photo of one of these bands and a series 3. Wonder why they don't fit.

I believe I saw in another post that it’s not that they won’t fit, it’s that since the Series 3’s case is thicker the Loop sizing will be off. Remember, the Series 4 and newer are much slimmer than our chonky Series 3s.

Comment

DJTJ

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
I wear the normal sport band on the 2nd last hole (lg size) i tried on the printable sheet for the new bands and it seems i would be a size 16 or so... I can't get the 12 even close... Guess I'll have to wait to try on in store

Comment

Sebosz

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2015
Poland
Are you allergic to the plastic/rubber, or to the metal pin?

I've read that a lot of people had reactions to the pin, and just cover it with tape, I believe it has nickel in it iirc.
I just tried that thing with tape... I don't think that's the case 😁
IMG_1968.jpeg

Comment

tripleburst

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2018

It fits, it’s just the sizing of these are made for the 40 and 44mm cases. Using the printed sizer I was exactly at 6 and it fit me. Of course YMMV because of the high variance of wrist size and the personal preference of lose or tight fitness.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 41
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.