New Star Trek TV Series to Debut in January 2017

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bobob, Nov 2, 2015.

1. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I really like the 2 Star Trek reboot movies. Can't wait to see this new series. Thanks for sharing the info @bobob

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

This is cool. I enjoyed the reboot movies as well.

4. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Well just great... Enterprise 2.0. (Minus the final season that was actually kinda decent)

5. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I'm gonna withhold criticism until I've had a chance to see the new series. So far, the franchise has gone down hill after DS9. TOS, TNG and DS9 = with the exception of a few garbage episode like Shades of Grayo_O very little complain about. I liked DS9 the best.

Voyager and Enterprise = meh. Too much focus on geewhiz gadgetry and not enough meaty plot for my taste.

6. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

If they remove the big budget, and thus lens flare galore, then what is left? The new Trek movies are shiny, but not really Star Trek...

7. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

I wonder how long it will take to show up on free/network tv?
    I can't see myself paying for another streaming service just for one show.

8. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

9. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Enterprise was too focused on T&A for most of its run to tell a coherent story.

10. Scepticalscribe, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

While - in general - I welcome a return to the Star Trek universe - and think the new re-booted movies excellent, I have to share your concerns.

Moreover, I agree that TOS, STNG and DS9 were - in general - excellent. As a woman - and as a woman interested in science and as someone who wants to see far more representations of successful, professional women on screen, I liked the premise of a female commander for Voyager, but felt the series as a whole lacked the depth of some of the others.

Enterprise was bloody awful; or rather, I stopped watching it after the first series, it wasn't ensemble acting or playing, - which had a been a strength of both STNG and of DS9 - and the characters were clichéd cardboard cut-outs, the plots weak, and the dialogue risible.

However, I'll wait and reserve judgement until after the new series debuts. Candidly, I'd love to see an excellent, meaty, and intelligent series.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm not pleased by it being on a paid streaming service either. That said, I will probably sign up for a month or two, watch the show and then cancel my subscription.

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, I assume that it will materialise in Europe sooner or later, possibly half a year, or a season in arrears. Needless to say, those subscription channels are ones I have never heard of.

13. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Considering the way the franchise has been evolving, I won't get my hopes up.

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Surely, you mean de-evolving, as demonstrated in that wonderful STNG episode where the crew reverted to various more primitive life forms? (I have a distinct memory of an amphibian Worf, who appeared to have been quite a terrifying creature…)

15. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

It has been evolving to fill a very specific niche: an ever expanding consumer base.

16. Scepticalscribe, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Ah, yes.

Economics, rather than science, and populist blandness over creative, original, thought-provoking content, strong characters who exhibit actual character development, interesting plots, intriguing settings, and complex world building, good (ensemble) actors, ensemble playing, (a decent budget, because, while I'm the last person on the planet to surrender to the notion that special effects from insanity should supersede stuff such as plot, - and plot should never be sacrificed to special effects - a scifi world does need a sufficiency of special effects that are not…..risible) and intelligent scripts…...

17. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Out of curiosity, who has watched the recently created Star Trek Continues episodes? If you have, what do you think of them?

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Exciting, but I'll reserve judgement until after I see it based on Voyager and Enterprise. :p

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Never heard of that, but I will definitely check them out. Thanks for posting this @localoid

20. alvindarkness macrumors 6502

I agree absolutely with the above comments. The new movies, to me, were just typical hollywood action movies set in space. They weren't good sci-fi, and definitely didnt feel like star trek.

If the new show is going to be some generic action show in space, then i'd rather it not exist than dilute the star trek universe with mediocrity.

But I'll keep my hopes up and will definitely watch it, in the off chance that the new team can rival the likes of Ira Behr and Ronald D Moore.

21. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Looks interesting, but I won't sign up fora other streaming service I'm sticking withy Netflix, and possibly Amazon Prime if I decide that the other parts of it are worth the subscription.

22. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

I hope it's set in the Star Trek Prime universe - while I liked the reboot movies (first more than the second) I couldn't get into some of the changes.

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Is CBS going to release it all at once or an episode a week?

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Since CBS (Then Paramount) owns the rights to the franchise I assume it will follow the TV version.

25. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

If it's CBS would'nt that most likely be weekly?