Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Oxford has a new statement on their homepage about Panther Firewire issues:

http://www.oxsemi.com/

"After extensive testing Oxford has identified that the issue related to data loss on FireWire drives under some Mac OS platforms occurs with OXUF922 based products with software revision 1.03 or less. It does not affect any other Oxford products such as the OXFW911 FireWire and OXFW912 Firewire800 bridge solutions. We recommend that end users upgrade to the latest version 1.05 software (released in September), available from the manufacturer of your external drive."

In a nutshell, they seem to be saying that only FW800 drives with the 922 are affected. Since there are several posts on Apple's forums saying that people are having identical problems with 911-based cases (though these do seem to be considerably less common), I'd say that there is either a 2nd issue that has very similar symptoms, or some other Firewire issue in Panther that looks similar.

robotjustin

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2003
data loss /800

I posted a question about this a while back, but this may clarify it a bit.

I bought a G5 and decided to upgrade my ADS dual-bay firewire drive to FW800, so I bought the bridge, took out the old 400 ports, and immediately lost the drives.

I hadn't gone up to panther, but I wonder if the problem could be inherent to the Oxford FW800?

Anyone else experience similar heartbreaks?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.