New Study Shows No Racial Bias in Police Shootings

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

A major topic in this election year is the police shootings.

A new study was just released by a black Harvard professor that showed he found no racial bias in police shootings. It does however show that minorities had a higher percentage of physical interactions.

What do you think ? Is there a racial bias or not ?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Go read the Justice Department report on Baltimore and Ferguson and then we'll talk.

3. daflake macrumors 6502a

Because that wouldn't be ripe with a political agenda.

4. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

The truth is in the middle.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 18, 2016 ---
    Yup. It's okay to rob from a store but wrong to subdue the suspect when not complying with a police command.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

As with any area of science, numerous studies are required to build to a consensus.

I look forward to further corroboration before I ever leap to any conclusion.

6. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

To me, the justice department seems biased :D.

In my opinion, it's hard to say what the police were thinking in a shooting.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

These reports are not about police shootings. They're about how these departments **** all over minorities.

8. FieldingMellish Suspended

Of course there's no racial bias. You don't need to be a Harvard professor to know this.

9. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Not sure what the standard is in economics, but in my field nothing gets released to the public until it is peer-reviewed.

The sample consists of data from Texas and Florida only.

Also, to quote:

The results obtained using these data are informative and, in some cases, startling. Using data on NYC’s Stop and Frisk program, we demonstrate that on non-lethal uses of force – putting hands on civilians (which includes slapping or grabbing) or pushing individuals into a wall or onto the ground, there are large racial differences. In the raw data, blacks and Hispanics are more than fifty percent more likely to have an interaction with police which involves any use of force.(p.3).
    Perhaps minorities feel persecuted because they are being stopped and manhandled.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

where black people are the majority? come'on.

11. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Most people that cops shoot needed shootin'.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I don't know about that one.

13. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

14. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

It's a tricky one. Based on no data, just a superficial idea of history and recent events, I think it's likely that, because poverty is the primary cause of crime, and minorities are more likely to be poor, criminals are more likely to be minorities. Criminals are more likely to get shot by police than civilians, therefore most of those shot by police will be minorities. Is that racism, or just data?

I think the wrong question is being asked. Better questions would be about the prevalence of guns, and inequality.

15. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

I like that. I wouldn't say minorities are more likely to be poor though. Would be interesting to know if true.

But inequality being a yuuuge factor for a lot of miserable developments - I hear you! I don't want to say it's the root of all evil, because that would sound too darn easy, but I'm almost tempted to do so. :)

16. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

That's my superficial history - Africans were brought to America as slaves. Even when freed, it took another century before they had the same rights as whites, and that was only one or two generations ago.

I'm not saying I have a better idea how to run a civilisation, but I'm pretty sure capitalism isn't the best. The coming changes that AI will cause will make for interesting times!

17. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

It's because people just plain need to stop doing stuff that gets them shot. My suggestion is to stop committing crimes and go from there.

questions around personal responsibility and accountability would be more appropriate.

18. A.Goldberg, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016

A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

This information pertains to shootings, not an overall review of police descrimination. It also only reviews 10 cities, not every police dept in the country.

Many of the statistics posted in the media don't take into account the amount police presence, local population, inherent crime rates which are higher in poorer areas, etc. More sophisticated studies should be done to factor in these confounding variables to give a clearer picture of how big an issue this is.

The biggest problem with internal investigations of crooked cops seems to be police unions, which have numerous strategic barriers in preventing police officials from getting properly investigated and/or disciplined.

19. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Not really. Something between the lines of crap now I have more paperwork to do and I wonder if I am about to get thrown at the altar of "social justice" and have my life ruined for doing my job.

20. FieldingMellish Suspended

Right there is the Marxist Communist end-game. Soros' money at work, altering the American landscape. Where's Interpol? Or are they as compromised as the FBI?

21. Zenithal Suspended

Considering black cops have shot blacks, it was never about race. I've yet to come across a stirring in the press where the killed didn't have a glorious past in criminal enterprise.

22. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

I live in Scotland, so I don't hear much American news - only the most sensational. I've never heard about a white cop shooting a white man, or a black cop shooting anybody. There seem to be regular high school shootings, but that's another story.

That being said, I think it isn't really about shooting, it's about race. How many people are beaten up by police? Probably more than any of us care to think about, but the only name we know is Rodney King. The white man has more power than any other sex or colour. The abuse of power leads to friction - it's inevitable, and has happened many times in history.

23. sim667 macrumors 65816

Like Tamir Rice?

24. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Is this the same justice department that ignored requests from 5 different entities to probe Clintons email scandal?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 19, 2016 ---
    1. The black professor wrote this under duress. His white overlords made him write it against his will.
    2. This is actually a white KKK member in blackface.
    3. It's a trick by the white police unions to lull innocent black med students into a public place for target practice.
    Have I covered all the crazy leftist theories about this article?

25. Zenithal Suspended

At what point do you believe it's wise to reach for a gun, replica or not, when police officers have guns drawn on you?