New Superdrive for iMac is for realz?

encephalon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Hello. 6 mo. reader, first time poster here.

I am planning on purchasing the 17in. iMac within the month and noticed something interesting on my saved order with the The Apple Store today (I haven't purchased yet, just the saved one). When trying to view my saved order it gave me the following error:

"Sorry, invalid order.",
"Some of the items in your order are not available.", and
"This order cannot be processed because the flagged items are no longer valid."

The only flagged item was the Superdrive in the 17in. iMac. I was curious, so I redid my "shopping cart" order. The only difference that I saw was the part number for the Superdrive changed from 065-3010 to 065-3768.

I'm not really sure what exactly this means, but I remembered the rumored Superdrive update a week or so ago and thought this could possibly be it. Anyway, just thought I would share.

Oh, I also have screenshots of this, if anyone wants me to post them.

dynamicd

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Chicago
This is interesting....I ordered mine the day it came out and am curious as to whether or not the superdrive is updated.

Can you show the screenshots please?? :)

encephalon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
p?;C?ginally posted by dynamicd [/i]
This is interesting....I ordered mine the day it came out and am curious as to whether or not the superdrive is updated.

Can you show the screenshots please?? :)
[/QUOTE]

Sure, here ya go!

Here it is in 'croped' form..

The top half was my original saved order.
The bottom is my new saved order.

Note the changed part number..

Attachments

MacMaster

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002

Sure, here ya go!

Here it is in 'croped' form..

The top half was my original saved order.
The bottom is my new saved order.

Note the changed part number..
Whoa! That's wierd! But interesting too...

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Buffy's bedroom
Something like this happened at Apple Australia a month or so back... it was simply a product changing ID because its price was changed. (Appel pro mouse $99 -> $129 Australian :()

encephalon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Originally posted by Beej
Something like this happened at Apple Australia a month or so back... it was simply a product changing ID because its price was changed. (Appel pro mouse $99 -> $129 Australian :()
Hmm.. Yes, good thought, but would Apple change the price on the Superdrive? :confused:
I don't think you can buy the Superdrive from Apple, so I don't think there is even a price to change.

I'm just not sure if changing part numbers happens often (besides a price change or a new version of the part).

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
The original email for my 17" iMac listed part number 065-3010 for the SuperDrive. I just checked my order status online and the part number was changed to 065-3768.

The 15" iMacs had the 065-3010 shipped with them previously. I have no idea what is shipping with them now.

So, is the -3768 drive the faster drive that is rumoured to exist now?

encephalon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Originally posted by Bear
The original email for my 17" iMac listed part number 065-3010 for the SuperDrive. I just checked my order status online and the part number was changed to 065-3768.

The 15" iMacs had the 065-3010 shipped with them previously. I have no idea what is shipping with them now.

So, is the -3768 drive the faster drive that is rumoured to exist now?
Oh, good. I'm glad this is confirmed by someone else too..

Currently, the only reason that I can think of for the part number change is the result of a change in the piece of hardware itself. I assume this to mean it will now ship with the rumored faster drive. But this is all speculation of course.