New Tariffs Higher iPhone Prices

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bushman4, Jun 16, 2018.

1. bushman4 macrumors 68020

Don’t rule out higher iphone prices in September once the U.S. and China start imposing tariffs on each other in July . List of tariffs includes items used in iPhones
    Tariffs are said to be 25%..........

2. BugeyeSTI, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018

BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

Considering iPhone prices are said to drop $100 for the 3 new phones, a 25% tariff would still mean iPhones will be $75 cheaper than last year..

Edit: I totally screwed up the math on this one... Yikes!

3. EM2013 macrumors 68000

EM2013

4. aakshey macrumors 68000

aakshey

You got the math wrong mate.

5. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

In other news, I heard the sky is falling

6. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

a 25% on a $800 product would be over $200, not $25

7. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

Lol.. I guess I’m still recovering from last nights overindulgence!

8. Phil in ocala Suspended

Phil in ocala

In the 1930's Herbert Hoover was much like Trump..he did not believe in regulations..not on banks or Wall Street...he also felt US companies were getting a raw deal in trade so he and the Congress passed the Smoot Hawley trade tariff bill....a trade war started and the market crashed and so did the economy....it spread to Europe and it was all down hill from there. Trump doesn't know about Smoot Hawley because Fox never mentions it.

9. Hal~9000 macrumors 68020

Hal~9000

Simply enjoy life in the moment and don’t stress about things outside your area of influence.

If the new iPhones this fall happen to have higher prices, then so be it. None of us have any control over the pricing situation.

10. karmatourer macrumors 65816

karmatourer

We will in 2.4years.

11. IWantItThatWay Suspended

iPhones shouldn't be made in China anyway. How can they be a premium product if they're made in Chinese slave shops?

All China does is steal secrets too. China is not a U.S. ally. China is China first (which is how it should be).
    --- Post Merged, Jun 17, 2018 ---
    There's already a trade war and we're losing.

Look at how Japan sends all their cars over here, and how many American cars do they buy?

China is stealing secrets and American IP.

12. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Hillary wants to know if this affects the price on Blackberrys too?

13. Videomanmac Suspended

Videomanmac

Can you delete email on Blackberrys?

14. bradl, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018

bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

So when does location have to do with premium quality? Perhaps you shouldn't post here until every single piece of the device you are using is made in the US. Oh, wait: That won't happen, because every single electronic component is basically made and assembled overseas.

Umm.. as already mentioned, Toyota and most other Japanese car manufacturers already have plants IN THE USA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Toyota_manufacturing_facilities#United_States

Ignorance strikes again.

Source for the bold.

So Trump puts in these tariffs, and we still are losing. Again, he's put more time and effort and money into saving Chinese jobs at ZTE than he has for American jobs at Carrier and Ford. To use your words against you, where is your outrage in that?

Side note about the bold. We here should all be old enough to at least know of the movie Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Remember that scene with Ben Stein? You know it: "Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?"

He improvised that entire scene when talking about Smoot-Hawley, and was both economically and historically correct on every event in that scene. He completely ad-libbed it and got it right. Now, unfortunately, the Trump supporters here seem to forget that, and the parallels to it that have been referenced in this section of the forum many a time.

BL.

15. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Why would you buy an American car anyways? American trucks, sure, but besides a few American cars, why would I buy a Chevy Cruze, or a Cadillac (average Caddy owner is 105 years old) America doesn't make reliable cars, Asia does. Look at Toyota and Honda, and they are even building them here unlike US auto manufacturers. VW, Honda, Toyota, Acura, Lexus, BMW, and I think even Mercedes all produce some of their vehicles here.

Why spend $60k or so on a Cadillac or Lincoln when the Germans make a nicer car? Can't speak for reliability on every car, although my dad's 2002 Porsche and 2003 Merc are just fine.

16. IWantItThatWay Suspended

That's not the point.

The point is, we are already in a trade war and we are losing.

Another good example is how China is abandoning the iPhone while Chinese companies rip Apple off. Xiaomi, one of the worst companies out there (though I hear it's getting better), rips off Apple so much their CEO literally wears jeans, a turtle neck sweater, and I am sure New Balance shoes as well and says "There's one more thing...."

To be honest, China should put China first. Everything China does should help China. I wish Americans thought the same way. But unlike China, which literally means "Middle Kingdom," Americans are taught at a young age to hate America and to have self-hate. Americans are the most evil people ever even though we are by far the most benevolent super power in the history of the planet.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 17, 2018 ---
    You talked about slavery in the other thread. What do you think of modern day slavery - Asians working in sweat shops for pennies? Hey, at least your iPhone is $1 cheaper right?

I actually quit buying "Made in China" stuff (and yes, I know a lot of components inside stuff is Made in China, I can't avoid that) because of abuse of Chinese workers. I made sure to order an iMac for that reason because it was assembled in America.

Until Chinese workers are given human rights I won't support that slavery.

17. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

And Trump put in these tariffs and we are still losing. Aerospace. Agriculture. Canneries. Seafood. You completely miss the boat of what has happened because you think that these tariffs are going to make us "great again", when all they have done is further pushed our customers to other sources to purchase what they used to purchase from us. Congratulations for supporting someone who just screwed over his own constituents.

Source for the bold, please.

Speculation is not absolute. Back up this claim with citations and reputable ones at that.

And you have the nerve to question liberals' loyalty to America. Check yourself, as we now know how you really feel and what you truly are.

Deflection noted.

Assembled in the USA; yes. Parts for that iMac were made in China. Try again.

BL.

18. samcraig macrumors P6

You should start charging Hillary rent. Letting her live inside your head rent free isn't doing you any favors :)

19. IWantItThatWay Suspended

Every time I back it up with sources you just ignore it anyway.

You're not even reading my posts - I acknowledged the iMac had made in China parts for example. You just don't seem to like America.

20. Videomanmac Suspended

Videomanmac

Hey, at least I don't let her control my life unlike some.

21. samcraig macrumors P6

Whose life is Hillary controlling? Not mine. Maybe Trump's because he so obsessed. Maybe she has some voodoo power of him. But I could argue that in ways she is controlling your life. I mean - you felt obligated to post about her in a thread about iPhones becoming more expensive.

22. IWantItThatWay Suspended

Trump would move on from the 2016 election if leftists would move on. Funny enough they're the ones who said Trump MUST accept the election results or he is a danger to democracy. Remember that?

23. samcraig macrumors P6

And it's true. He is a threat to Democracy. Also - most of these people you consider left have moved on from the election results. That doesn't mean Trump and his associates aren't accountable for their actions. That's what the special counsel is investigating. But stick to your narrative.

24. bradl, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2018

bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Onus is on you to provide your claims. Back them up or be reported. Second request.

If I didn't like America, I wouldn't live here. and my people have been here millennia before your stepped foot off the boat.

25. IWantItThatWay, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2018

IWantItThatWay Suspended

I posted sources about Obama and you ignored every single one. But before I put you on: America was founded on July 4, 1776 :).

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-market-share-in-china-2018-4

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/6/16741142/china-smartphone-market-stats-android-oem-2017